How Many Times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARuscoe, Aug 26, 2019.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Have you had to completely reinstall everything?

Between lost track, access violations and now the sky disappearing in 64 bit I am on my third complete rebuild...
    Anyone else have to rebuild from scratch every so often (like three months)

• Like Like x 3
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Famous last words but... never. I've installed TS on four different systems and have reinstalled TS precisely once- and that was because I using two different log-ins on one system and wanted to keep my own separate. Reinstalling seemed the most thorough and least involved option in that respect.

Once you have rebuilt the installation do you save a copy of your Railworks folder somewhere? It won't make things any more stable but it should make reinstallation a hell of a lot easier.

3. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

My hard drive failed a few months ago so I had to reinstall literally every program as well as TS19 and all my mods.

4. ARuscoe

To be honest I couldn't be arsed. Was having a frustrating day yesterday
    One thing I DID remember to do this time round is uninstall all the addons that show in programs in control panel. Didn't do that last time round and couldn't remember which I installed and which I didn't until I had broken consists...

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I would check on another forum - like UKTS - when you have a problem like this.
    They might be able to help you work out which add on is causing the problems rather than just uninstalling the game.

Peter

6. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Only once in 8 years, and that was something in the main game files that got destroyed by a system clean up I did a few years ago using a reg clean and rubbish clean and system clean programmes like malware bytes and another I can't think of right now plus the AV options too. But something in one of those deleted something in the main TS folder and would no longer start.
    Luckily I had a backup of the assets/content folders so just had to copy them back in to a fresh install.
    Since then I never let any AV or clean up (Ah, CC Clean was the third one) program run on TS drive. I don't like using them at all now since then. I know it gives a list of files it wants to delete and asks my permission but I just trusted it and boom, gone.
    Never had sky go missing though, have heard of it from people with the AP weather installed.

7. ARuscoe

Don't have that pack so that's one thing I know it's not

Funny enough, even after a reinstall (in fact now two), I now have no sky in 32bit and 64bit won't start at all...
    Ticket has been submitted

8. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Lol, they'll probably just tell you to reinstall again.

9. ARuscoe

Nah, so far they're just asking for DxDiag, though quite what that has to do with railworks64.exe not running I don't know...
    In 20 odd years of IT support I've never wondered what the GPU drivers were doing when excel wouldn't open LOL

10. John Murphy

They blame everything on the GPU drivers. They're gonna try blaming it on your GPU drivers being out of date first (even though they're probably not and that has nothing to do with the problem anyway), and then they're just gonna tell you to reinstall. Then when you tell them you already did that or when you tell them it doesn't work, they'll either say that you're not cooperating, or that they just don't know what to do. Or they'll say "We'll pass this on to our development team." which basically means your ticket is being closed and deleted.

Gotta love DTG.

11. ARuscoe

Already had the "you need to submit your DxDiag so we can check drivers" (first thing I did was check up to date and revert to last known working)
    Already did the reinstall, completely delete and install, try both etc and nope, actually made it WORSE

Spent time this morning removing the prerequisites and reinstalling them. Left it doing an update so will find out in the morning when I get time to have a look next

12. John Murphy

Yeah. Come to think of it, I'm actually pretty sure that's all automated or scripted. Because no matter what you say, you always get the same responses.