PlayStation Framerate

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ildario77, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Hello guys. I'm new to this game and I'm loving it. The only thing I really don't like is the poor framerate. In some scenarios is definitely acceptable, with just a few hiccups (GWR, WSR, Rapid Transit). I noticed bad slowdowns in Main-Spessart, especially in Aschaffenburg station when heavy freighters arrive, and approaching Hagen in Ruhr-Sieg Nord.The same when I come across other trains along the route. While moving, if I look at the poles, traffic lights, ecc., I notice frequent stuttering. Is it normal or is it my "old" 2014 PS4? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

I would say pretty normal for the older version of the current gen console. There may be drops like you described in some sections of the routes. I'm not saying it's normal as in 'totally acceptable', but rather that it's what current-gen owners have to live with, unless there is a technical problem with your device (like overheating).

• Like Like x 1
  3. ildario77

Thanks! The fan is pretty loud sometimes, but it's also hot here these days and it doesn't happen with less hardware demanding games. Just found this video: at 23:23 you may notice some stuttering (also in a lot of other sections of the route). That's what I'm experiencing, more noticeable in other more complex scenarios.

4. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I have always bad quality on PS4 pro and Ultra HD TV because the textures loading always for the train first

5. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Must be tiles loading. Sorry you're having this issue.

6. ildario77

Wow, thanks. I thought the game was better on PS4 Pro... So, I suppose the game is not smooth at all, no matter what unit is playing it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ildario77

You mean, is it something related to the game engine? In that case, I will live with it I find stuttering in almost every PS4 video on YouTube. This one is pretty bad at 9:14 (look at the poles on the right).

8. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Dmitri i create a video to show you the texture issues with the streets and the polls for the electrified in this short video on Main Spessart Bahn

9. ildario77

I see, but this is another issue, related to the drawing distance. I was talking about stuttering and lack of smoothness (I can see that in your video too).

10. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive got the release 2014 basic ps4 and with 2020 update Im getting a pretty reliable 35 fps throughout on GWE. Thats with the additional coaches and extra Ai on the route.

11. ildario77

General fps is not a problem for me either. It drops just in big stations or crossing long convoys. I just don't like that game doesn't run smoothly (see videos above), but it seems a common problem. Other than that, I love this game.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Theres a lot going on cpu wise. All the different systems at work, simulating engines, braking ai movements and the the lighting etc. Its come a long way (console wise) since release.

13. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Dovetail should fixed finally the late Texture loading issues, it looks annoying when you see Always how the buildings or tracks loading just for the train first or the polls and streets. It should not happen in Year 2019 with the Unreal Engine and on PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im after an improved draw distance for GWE especially. Im hoping if there is a dlc or feature coming to the route in future, it could be looked at.

• Like Like x 1
  15. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Although stuttering is often because of high cpu usage it's can also be caused by the game loading the next section of "world" from the hard drive. The less stuff on the drive the better it can be sometimes. Fitting a SSD should in theory speed it up even more.

I have a PS4 Pro and while I generally get a decent steady frame rate there is still the occasional stutter. I believe that it also occurs on PCs too so you're not alone.

16. ildario77

Thank you! Well, not a gamebreaking thing, but I'm usually pretty sensitive to fps issues. Now I know is not my console, so I will enjoy the game hoping in better optimization in the future. Dovetail already did a great job bringing a typical high-end PC game to consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ildario77

Oh well, just arrived in NY Penn with Amtrak, and that's by far the worst fps experience I ever had in a console game. And my train was even the only one at the station. That scenery needs a complete rework, not to mention tunnel bugs, draw distance, etc. Well, I will stay in Europe ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Let’s hope with the next generation of consoles TSW 2020 gets some extra power from it. I get an average 40fps on my PlayStation pro but if there’s any extra trains or load ins it will drop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

:mad::mad::mad:Hope they finally work to improve the graphics...and damn don't tell me about old consoles...i can see new release games with amazing graphics..cmon! you must be kidding Sir....

• Like Like x 1
  20. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yes agree, it’s a shame how the graphics looks on PS4 Pro, all the loading texture issues needs to be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  21. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Does ps4 pro's boost mode make a difference to the frame rate? Not checked this myself, just wondering if anyone has.

I'm still amazed DTG can't squeeze a little more performance out of the pro or one X. If I worked as part of their development team, I'd be seeing what could be done, with a positive attitude, rather than dishing out excuses to a loyal customer base.

22. ildario77

Lol, a "funny" thing: even the DTG logo animation at the beginning of the game stutters sometimes...

• Like Like x 4
  23. ildario77

As I can see from videos on YouTube, even PS4 Pros stutter and have framerate drops in the same spots as my old 2014 PS4...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  24. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yes confirm this, it looks awful on my PS4 Pro and Ultra HD TV

• Like Like x 1
  25. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Yes it does help improve the frame rate and loading times. Without it enabled the Pro works like a standard PS4 on games without any Pro enhancement. I still get a few stutters but I also get some highs of over 50fps. As per matthewbguilford above it averages out around 40fps.

Some non UHD games can look awful when upscaled onto 4k TVs. Have you tried letting the TV upscale instead of the PS4 or vice versa. Or maybe you could output in HD and use the Pro's super sampling mode

• Like Like x 1
  26. BROCK

BROCK Active Member

LOL, yeah it does. stops spinning and everything.

27. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Yes! I forgot to mention that boost mode is the setting you should use if you have a PS Pro. TSW lacks any Pro enhancement and boost mode helps squeeze some extra frames in. I actually learned that from a very wise man!

• Like Like x 1
  28. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The late Loading texture issues are not a UHD Tv problem, because it’s the game, but on PC looks it better as I saw in videos with textures

29. dunkrez

It may be worth DTG outsourcing porting TSW from pc to the consoles for future releases. I can only imagine what Polyphony Digital could do for TSW or Naughty Dog for instance. Masters at their trade. Perhaps it's time Dovetail reached out and asked for some assistance from teams of that calibre. The guys at Gran Turismo could likely help turn this stuttering mess into a proper technical work of art. They managed near photorealism on the ps3, with full racing simulation mechanics. Shows what can be done with a can do attitude.

For reference, I tried boost mode, it does squeeze a few extra frames, but it doesn't cure the stuttering. And that opening logo transition freezing is shameful.

I didn't want to believe what Alan Thompson says about DTG, but sadly it appears he has a point. I'm hopeful things will improve with a few massive updates, especially after spending literally hundreds of pounds on DLC for a hobby I love, but the cynic in me says this is another Bethesda type situation.

• Like Like x 2
  30. ildario77

Well, I suppose nobody on YouTube enabled the boost on their PS4 Pro, then. I know I'm a bit OCD about such things, lol, but everytime I noticed the same stutters at the same spots, every single time. And the average or max fps is not a problem. I get 60 fps in several routes, but I'd prefer a stable 30 fps in every situation (busy or complex stations, other trains approaching, etc.).

• Like Like x 1
  31. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

Both ps4 and xbox have frame rate issues

• Like Like x 1
  32. ildario77

Shame on me I didn't play NTP cause it was set in the past... The route is great and performances pretty decent. No major stuttering and just occasional framerate drops, particularly in big stations. DTG should start from here rethinking of everything else. I'll give up on my "reality first" and I'll nosedive deep into this beautiful thatcherian greyness :D

33. ildario77

Talking about performances, how is Peninsula Corridor? Hopefully better than LIRR and NEC. I miss a good american route... I will wait for a price drop, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  34. ildario77

Ehm, had to try Manchester approach yet, and that's pretty hard on fps. Not the station, but the city surroundings. Nothing I can't live with, anyway...

35. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd say go for it right now, the frame rate it's ok; acceptable for the most part and you can enjoy without major hiccups. The San Francisco main station is most of the time full of trains and like the PC version the frame rate drops quite considerably. But still, an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  36. ildario77

Bought it and after 1 hour I changed my mind (that's why I deleted the original reply). San Francisco station fps in unacceptable. Ok, there are up to 12 trains parked, but why the hell so much traffic if a PS4 can't manage it? In general, framerate is poor at San Jose too and the average is far below other routes. Yes, in general random hiccups are not so frequent, but my opinion is that DTG put too much stuff in it. Turn down the damn traffic...

• Like Like x 1
  37. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi

Maybe do like ildario77 says, turn down traffic, i suggest a more agressive approach, take down scenario just leave tracks and trains, maybe that way this could run smoother :D

• Like Like x 1
  38. ildario77

Seriously, some routes are almost deserted (Rapid Transit...), this one is too busy. Ok, more realistic, but PS4 slows down even with 2 trains side by side...
    Twelve, TWELVE trains at Frisco. Is it necessary? It seems that American routes are definitely more disappointing than European ones. 2 different development teams?

• Like Like x 1
  39. dunkrez

There is a team called Armstrong Powerhouse that develop add on locomotives and routes for TS 2019. I wonder if those guys could help sort out the mess? They release really high quality content.

I've waited forever for a decent train sim, and TSW is pretty close, I just wish DTG would clean up and make it what it should be. And steam locos would be nice too. I see TS just got Stanier 8Fs to play with. Would be nice to have even just a J94 on TSW. Time to slow that conveyor of DLC and rewind to spend time on polishing what's been spewed out so far. Would be interesting to see the size of DTGs dev team, how they operate and the revenue side of things, just to see what would be possible given the resources they have. There is no shame in reaching out for assistance either, I'm confident that experienced console dev teams would be willing to guide Dovetail in the right direction.

It's like the whole project needs a fresh pair of eyes, tearing to the ground, then rebuilding properly. I might go as far to say that the unreal engine may be a bad choice for TSW, the team just can't make it sing like it should. It could all be so much better, and in turn, would make significantly more money, and truly amaze the user base turning each satisfied customer into a natural salesman for their product.

40. ildario77

Ok, have to admit that: Peninsula Corridor is not that bad. Sure, average fps are noticeably lower than other scenarios, but the environment is much more complex and even draw distance is way better. Most important, it doesn't stutter a lot. That's why, even with lower fps, it looks smoother.

41. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what are the FPS like on PS? If you hit F3 (i believe it was F3) on an attached keyboard it shows them. I felt it runs with decent fps on Xbox.

• Like Like x 1
  42. ildario77

Sorry, I don't have a keyboard. Just my sensation. I think its about 30-40 fps most of the time. It drops dramatically in San Francisco Station, with up to 10-12 parked trains. A bit better out of San Jose, near the big depot (several parked trains). But the most important thing is that game runs pretty well, with no major hiccups.

43. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Alright. I will check what its like on Xbox on tomorrow. Which service has so many trains in the station? I always come in to 8-9 trains waiting in the station

44. ildario77

Don't remember, maybe one in the morning or late evening.

45. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s never more as 8-9 trains at San Francisco at some time

46. ildario77

Ok, maybe I was wrong. Let's say, about ten...

47. ildario77

Anyway, I found just 1 PS4 (Pro) video about Peninsula Corridor on YouTube (I look for 60fps videos cause I can compare them with the actual game), and framerate approaching SF looks better than mine. First time I notice that. Maybe this DLC is better optimized for PS4 Pros. Mine is an old 2014 PS4.

48. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

The frame rate on xbox is pretty good most of the time i haven't had to much of an issue with it

49. ildario77

Playing RT after some weeks. Amazed by its smoothness. Yes, the scenery is absolutely not comparable with other more complex routes, but I'd love to see TSW run this way every time.

• Like Like x 1
  50. ildario77

Never played a freight service on Peninsula Corridor before... The 11:25 service with the three-headed train is awful, speaking of fps... Absolutely terrible. It seems the console can't manage all that stuff (3 locos, long train, etc.). No way I can play that...