Extending Routes Without Actually Extending Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ninetofive925, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

I had an idea. Hold onto your pants, here goes:

If merging routes is complicated, creating DLC's with possible connections is feasable. NEC and LIRR for instance share some track.

The idea is, let's say you drive a service that goes from point A on map 1, to point B on map 2. At the end of map 1, let's say at a station, you load your passengers at a red light. You then see a loading screen, and you're spawned in at the start of map 2, continuing the service of map 1. so this would work sort of like portals to another map. I think this could be great to do Inter-city or long distance services in general once we get overlapping maps.

I hope i've been clear with what i said, what do you think about this?

• Like Like x 15
  2. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Yes I thought that would be a nice scenario to start on the GWE go to reading appear on the WSR to Minehead, and return to GWE.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Very interesting idea!

• Like Like x 1
  4. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

this is what I was about to say and will love the idea but maybe make it so that serveces will run from map a to map b and if you ride it it will load

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

although i would like to see trains from other routes in other routes stations e.g on gwr you see virgin (or other companies) and if you have the route maybe see virgin trains going from padington to Glasgow (not sure if it is a route) and see the hst and have the ability to hop on one

• Like Like x 1
  6. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

Agree like the idea but if your going to load passengers on then that should be the time of the loading of the other map Not load passengers then load next map waste of time but I get the point good idea

7. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

That's how old GTA games worked! However, today it's very dated. Instead, a system like Portal would work, where you reach a point and the game pauses, loads and when it's done (there is no loading screen) you see the same stuff, but in fact the next section has loaded. Alternatively, DTG could work a bit harder and essentially load you seamlessly into a map that just has the stop in it and during this stop, the game loads the new route into the memory (but this will require quite a bit of work and very few games have done this successfully). Essentially it works like this: A to B - B (loading area) - B to C. With solid state drives becoming more common this could work well.

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Isn't this how TSW works anyway? With map tiles and it loads the next tile into memory as people move about?
    So if it's the case that one station links two routes you could have the map tile located at the join point and if the player doesn't own the relevant neighbour route put in the yellow barriers and striped tape in (under construction) and then do it as you normally would

9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

To be honest rather than have the idea dismissed for being complex. Id be happy with either 2 services/scenarios on WSR and 2 services/scenarios on GWE. Play them together and you have a Paddington- Minehead return.

10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

TS201X used to allow you to link scenarios back in 2014 or before -- however it was removed in TS2015 I believe. Never used very extensively and if I remember was temperamental. Good Idea - but if the scenario is spanning over two different DLC's and you have only the first but not the second would the first part run? Not insurmountable but not a straight forward thing to implement.

11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

TSW players who don't have the class 52 add on, wont have the “Westerner” scenario. If you have WSR but not the Tees Valley line, you dont get access to the 08, If you font have the BR 155 on RSR- no coal service .Theres a few instances in TSW where not having an add on means that services/scenarios arent there. Thats why I propose it be seperate services that can be played in a chain by us, and not have it be something that DTG need to do too much work on.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  12. jaesynthetikvita

jaesynthetikvita Member

That could easily work!
    I the game Elite Dangerous, every time you hyperjump from one system to another, there's a load screen in between. The warp tunnel itself, is the load screen!
    So, it would be quite possible to make the passenger loading part, the load screen itself.

• Like Like x 1