Tsw: December Studio Update

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 4, 2018.

1. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i wonder if it will mess things up for tsw editor i donno yet

2. palme111100

palme111100 Active Member

I wonder how the repaints will be implemented. I know there are repaints, but as far as I know, when you install them it is applied on every loco.

So will it be possible to install several repaints and then choose one in-game from a menu?
    And if you can install serveral repaints do all locos have the same repaint or will it be choosen randomly for every loco?

3. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

With the editor you will be able to clone the loco and have more then one repaint.
    I think the loco will then be also randomly placed like it works now with the CSX repaints.

• Like Like x 1
  4. palme111100

Sorry that I have to ask again, but I'm not really familiar CSX and with the repaints.

So I wanted to know if locos are cloned are they independent vehicles?
    I mean that's important for map-making, especially the services mode.
    I have to say that I don't know how it works now with the CSX repaints, but in service mode are the repaints randomly picked for each loco?

5. metr0p0litain

metr0p0litain Active Member

So... This was nearly one year ago. Nothing happened. What can we expect? Will there be a public open beta this year?

• Like Like x 3
  6. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Wait for exciting news for the next year. Much to come for TSW.

7. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

And this information came from......?

• Like Like x 1
  8. nne4229

It was sarcasm related to their statements last year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Ah yes, should have known.

• Like Like x 1
  10. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

So are we getting any TSW related news soon or? In 5 days it will be almost a month in dead silence. Sorry if i am sounding rude or anything but the silence is killing ;). Cheers

11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

TS2020 is coming out in two weeks, so it's not unusual for DTG to concentrate on one thing at a time. Hopefully more TSW news soon, but then I gave up holding my breath years ago on such things

12. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

Didn't they say before it's two separate teams doing TS and TSW? If so the silence of the other seems pretty unjustified.

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Two different sets of devs, same set of online, senior project management etc
    Going from what happened last year they went quiet on TSx when TSW was releasing stuff and then quiet on TSW in the lead up to TS2019, so it's not unusual

14. 216218

216218 New Member

Juhu. Der Editor kommt .................. nieniemals !!!

15. GibbseyNZ

GibbseyNZ Member

Over a year now since they said the TSW editor was going to be in public beta and very few details on it at all this year. Wonder if the tools will ever come.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It will.

• Like Like x 2
  17. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Yes, they will come sometime Gibbsey. It's hard to put an editor to an editor out when the foundations keep moving.
    A small presentation by the coding team of how hard it is would be good though.

18. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

Can we stop posting on old threads please? I thought this was a new Studio Update.

• Like Like x 5
  19. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was a badly worded title (and brought me tbh).
    Kind of "studio update from the cliff bottom" stuff

20. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

If DTG posted updates themselves then people wouldn't be resurrecting old threads. I just assume threads are old because at this point because it's more likely an old thread is bumped than DTG actually posting an update, such is their communication regime these days.

• Like Like x 8
  21. nne4229

It’s okay guys more DLC on the way.

• Like Like x 1
  22. GibbseyNZ

GibbseyNZ Member

Which is fine if you live in UK, Germany of USA. A lot of people are interested in railways in other parts of the world.

• Like Like x 3
  23. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

GibbseyNZ

I'm on PS4 only but would give my left nut to play that NZ route you're building. Those Djs are sublime. Great work my friend. Do you have any info on what Kiwirail will be replacing the South Island DXs with after the recent government announcement? Sure hope it's not those hideous DLs..

24. _Crash_

_Crash_ Member

We need some news on the editor, a whole year later of this thread creation.

Come on DTG, I think everyone has been patient enough.

• Like Like x 3
  25. ferrolun

ferrolun New Member

You're right

Much, much patience

26. leroyhind

leroyhind New Member

I don't completely understand the editor as I am fairly new to TSW, could someone please explain; does the editor mean someone could, per se, create a custom route of Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly etc and release it for other players to use. Thenks :)

27. Digital Draftsman

Yes, they could build custom routes. They could also create custom locomotives for the game as well as create custom scenarios for existing routes. The amount of content available for TSW would increase massively, as well as giving representation to many other countries beyond the UK, USA and DE. It would, in the very literal sense of the phrase, be a 'game-changer.'

28. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Too much pessimism launched at the TSW staff + way too much optimism granted to individual, would-be "creators".

• Like Like x 3
  29. Digital Draftsman

This is because with TS2020 the highest quality content comes from third parties not DTG. So the precedent has been set, that if one wishes to have the highest quality content for TSW, they require content from third party creators. So both the pessimism and optimism has been earned by the respective parties.

I know myself and other creators spent a lot of time developing content for TSW, back when DTG said we'd have the Editor in 2017. I stopped developing when the 2017 release date was missed. Then towards the back end of 2018 I started hearing rumours from within the industry that the public release of the Editor was canned indefinitely and that only a select few third parties would be invited to become contractors for DTG to develop for TSW.

Anyway, here's a clue to what I was developing for TSW:
    mystery_station.jpg

Can anyone guess where it is?

• Like Like x 5
  30. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

To all the people saying again and again unofficial content means crappy content: Have you ever played Train Simulator 20xx? And have you ever bothered to look beyond the, admittedly often not very impressive workshop content?
    Because if no, I'm afraid you have no idea what you're talking about. Crappy content, pardon me?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and I could go on and on.

Does this look like crappy content to you? Please stop kidding me. None of this was made by Dovetail, albeit some of it published by them. And I'm not saying DTG content is inherently crappy, of course, but as we say here: Other mothers have beautiful daughters as well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  31. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I imagine we’ll get some beautifully detailed routes once third parties can get onboard.

They have the advantage of not having such tight time constraints as DTG do, so a lot more time can go into route detail and scenery.

• Like Like x 4
  32. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

And route length ;). Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  33. palme111100

Sorry, but I have to disagree. This optimism towards the indiviudal exsists only because of DTG dissapointing us. Look, individuals can take their time building routes unlike DTG and get more details into it, especially when I think about the German routes, there are many signal faults; because their not really into the German signalling system. A railfan who live in Germany would do a better job a this point.
    Now, why so "much pessimism launched at the TSW staff"?
    Well, about one year ago, there was the editor stream. And what has happened since? Some news that are helpful? No! Do they care much about bugfixes? Look at RT. When the BR182 was announced, here on the forum many people said they wouldn't buy this DLC, because RT is in such a bad state, the new DLC wouldn't be enjoyable. Only because of this they fixed major bugs. "Events" like this, plus the editor story lead to people launching pessimism at DTG.
    One last thing regarding the editor:
    What is going on with the editor? Does someone know or did I just miss it? I only hear everytime: "There's no news on the editor". HOW?! How can it be that a program, which is in development, has no news? In my opinion this is not possible. If you develop a program that means changing and adding code. This means: There is something going on. And when adding something, this means news. When changing something this means news. It would be nice, if DTG communicated with us in sense of a -for example- monthly feedback from DTG providing us with information about the amount of locos and routes their working on and in which state of development they are, also some information about the editor would be nice, for example what they added, what they changed, which feature they made more efficient. Everything just in a short statement. Two to three sentences to each pointI mentioned, would be a start.
    And if they did this, there would be much less pessimism I think.

• Like Like x 5
  34. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the Editor, in another thread a poster pointed out the fact that every release of DLC has been preceded by a compatible patch. Of course these have been new features to the core as well fixes. I would hazard to guess that releasing the editor while new features are being added would be problematic to say the least.

As I read though the forums (ignoring the constant complainer clans) it seems many want a multitude of new features to the core such as the recently added cab sway. Working PIS, raildriver support, TrackIR, among a few dozen others are constantly discussed.

I guess my question would be, does the community want the editor to be released as new features are being added which would probably cause the editor to be upgraded and patched causing interoperability problems with 3rd party DLC built with other versions of the editor. Or freeze the core feature list as it is, release the editor.

My experience comes from X-plane 11 where new features break existing 3rd party DLC where the user is at the mercy of the 3rd party developer to update to the new core versions.... with many DLC being left behind over the years....

While I am all for the editor, I also know it will not be the euphoric solution to all the ills of TSW and will add its own share of angst as well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. palme111100

Good point, didn't really think about this. But this depends on what the editor will be capable of. If it only allows you to build routes and make locos, I guess this wouldn't be a problem IF essential features rely on core features for example signalling would have to be managed via the core etc... Same with the locos. If the editor had been out and head sway had then been released, this could been worked around by head sway being applied to the camera, which is a core feature, and head sway relying on information about accelaration which TSW has by default about the loco. So all new features would have to be made in a way that they rely on data TSW has by default.
    X-Plane11 on the other hand has an API, so you can code your own plugins with new features. When they update the API and a plugin uses a method that is removed in the new API, well, there will be some errors.
    This wouldn't be an issue with the TSW editor if it is only for building routes and implementing locos which I think will be the case.
    If the editor would also allow us to make plugins, the X-Plane problem applies. But I think this is unlikely, because DTG would have to make an API etc...
    In conclusing, if plugins will be a thing with TSW, you right, if the editor doesn't allow us to implement new features, it wouldn't be a problem if new core features are made in a way that they only use data that is already there.
    But I know this depends on how TSW works inside and nobody knows.;)

36. Pookiebarra

Pookiebarra Active Member

Whats updating today????????

37. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Dmitri will post the patch notes in due time in the update post.

This is an studio update article dicussion, but we haven't seen ANY studio updates since the last once back in June 2019. But also don't think we wil get a new one anytime soon.
    TrainSim-Matt mentioned he will do a new one 'soon' since around the Rivet Games Highlight Stream back in August 2019.

As well as complete silence around the editor for over a year (anyone remember the 'beta available' back in December 2018 where it was only shown off with 'it has been delayed to early 2019').
    Well, it is early 2020.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  38. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

I do not yet have patch notes on my hands unfortunately, otherwise they would have been posted already.

• Helpful Helpful x 3