London Underground

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Johnno124, May 28, 2018.

?
  1. Yessssssssss!!!!!!

2. Yes

3. not really

4. Why would anyone want this

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Johnno124

Johnno124 Active Member

It would be amazing if we could see the london underground in TSW. If it was possible, it would be awsome to have the 4 subsurface lines in one route.

• Like Like x 18
  2. djos18

djos18 Member

I would LOVE it!

• Like Like x 2
  3. MadGamer1988

MadGamer1988 New Member

I'd like to see all 12 underground lines with all 275 stations added

• Like Like x 3
  4. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

This would be amazing. But it would occupy like 100GB of storage, and would probably run at like 10fps and everything would de-render if you move because you would need 12GB of VRAM and an i9, but who cares? Its the tube, so its good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the RAM constraints that would be the issue. DTG have apparently previously stated they don't like predominantly subsurface routes because, well it's a tunnel. So the visual interest would be minimal once you get in the tube except for the next portal light.

I mean I think they're wrong given each station in the central zone has different tiles and displays etc but that's apparently what they've said

6. ItsYa165

oh yeah! you're totally right. i forgot!!!

ITS THE TUBE!!! i said it myself. im so dumb sometimes

7. ItsYa165

8. DarthHazard

DarthHazard New Member

Would love to have the Underground. It would be annoying if they didn't bring it mainly because they didn't want to do a line that is mostly underground.

9. ItsYa165

dont forget that the devs are just as eager as we are

10. CresterYT

CresterYT New Member

it would be better to seperate the routes into different packages I don't think any PC can handle all 275 stations, trains, scenery etc all Subsurface lines in one is much more appropriate

11. ARuscoe

Don't see why a machine wouldn't handle the load given the distances are minimal and the tiles wouldn't have to be that dense, especially in the underground sections (don't need trees, rolling hills and scenery when the closest thing is a sewer and probably a few skeletons)
    I guess it comes down to how much the lines interact.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CresterYT

CresterYT New Member

considering a lot of the Underground is above ground... do your research

13. ARuscoe

Crester, I live about 25 miles from London and worked there for years. I said "the distances are minimal and tiles wouldn't have to be especially in the underground sections" so learn to read.
    And given that the whole map isn't loaded all at once the length or complexity of the total route doesn't matter either

14. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

CresterYT I think has it right. If this was done separate lines make sense. It’s a problem of all mega-route proposals you have a large amount of stuff you’re not currently engaged with, plus it takes forever to build. One interesting thing with a tube proposal is whether the idea is that you’d be able to get off one line and transition (walk) to another. That’s not like crossing a platform at Southall on GWE. For those that know London imagine what the transition interchange would need to be at a station like Green Park. Is the expectation that all of those escalators and connecting tunnels and steps would be modeled?

The other issue is not so much could this be made to work on a PC but what about consoles? Am I alone in thinking that the issues people are experiencing on the consoles may have roots in memory management? If DTG are struggling to get the WSR to run smoothly and reliably on consoles what’s the likelihood that the Tube is ever going to be practical with the current generation of engines and coding?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

If it works on the tile model (ie similar to TS1) then you COULD model the stations even given the complexity of the interconnections, but it would depend on when they were loaded as to the speed of transition. I admit modelling Bank or Waterloo would be a pig but if the "invisible walls" kept you from going beyond the ticket barriers it could be workable

16. CresterYT

CresterYT New Member

there is still a lot of detail needed, you live about 25 miles from London? I live IN London and I have been on every tube line its a unrealistic demand and I just dont see it happening in TSW for a long time or if its even possible

• Like Like x 1
  17. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

270 stations, 250 route miles much of the overground portions in densely built up areas, huge underground complexes in the central areas, large transport hubs outside the center e.g. Stratford.

Perhaps it’s possible (I doubt it but can’t prove that there aren’t modeling and coding techniques to make it efficient and fit on a console) but is this a likely next step from WSR? If DTG were to focus on this huge project how many other new routes would have to be deferred?

One other issue, and I’ll use the DLR as my example, unfortunately over the next few year the Tube is likely to go to more and more automated running. If you think about it the DLR would be a good choice for modeling other than there’s nothing to do. So rather than the contemporary Tube some ‘Classic’ approach might make sense?

• Like Like x 1
  18. ARuscoe

I thought much of it had with the new stock... Agreed better with old stock

19. ItsYa165

i think you'd be surprised as to how useful chunk loading is. take GTA V for example. thats 80GB. i think the whole of TFL is possible in one map

20. CresterYT

CresterYT New Member

GTA V and TSW are both different games and use different engines and have different requirements its impossible

21. _Crash_

_Crash_ Member

Would like to see a underground route, but I doubt we will see one, for years from DTG, if ever.

Maybe one for the community once the tools are out.

22. ItsYa165

chunk loading is chunk loading. it's the same for every game

23. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

They could do it in older times when there weren’t automated trains
    Like the C stock D stock and A stock times

24. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The long tunnel sections of current routes are pretty dull so I'm not sure I'd buy a fully underground route.

25. UnlimitedMagic

You could do the sub surface lines since they aren’t automated yet
    You could also do the bakerloo and Piccadilly lines since they aren’t automated
    Plus sub surface lines you would do as separate routes
    Sub surface lines have more overground stations than underground(or maybe nearly more overground stations than underground)
    I think the Metropolitan line would be best to do since more stations are overground than underground.
    And you can go at a 50mph speed.
    Because the District ,circle and Hammersmith and city line you can only go till 35mph

26. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

Id love to see Northern Line

27. UnlimitedMagic

It’s automated

28. UnlimitedMagic

The Victoria, Central, Northern and jubilee lines are automated.
    Dovetail would only make the Sub Surface lines or the bakerloo and Piccadilly lines

29. Ross12

Ross12 New Member

I'm guessing the Waterloo & City is automated too, given the fact that it used the same stock as the Central. Although, that would be a cool little thing to have on a route, maybe even a mainline route from Waterloo, but the opportunity to walk down and just do the W&C, even if it is automated, there still is a driver's handle so you could drive it...

30. UnlimitedMagic

Waterloo and city isn’t

But the thing is that The automated lines have a manual mode so you can drive the trains by hand too

31. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

How fun would this really be, though? If you want to stare at endless tunnel walls all day, just run services through New York Penn. One tunnel looks the same as another.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Factor41

I'm with you. It's the variety in the routes that keeps things interesting; I imagine there's not even much in the way of points on an underground route, just darkness until the next station appears. The stretch into Penn is boring enough!

33. ARuscoe

That video is a cab ride from one of the four western branches of the district line, which shares tracks for three stops with the overground (class 378 in the vid), runs side by side with the picadilly line and in the first 15 minutes of the vid which I watched had lots of cross traffic, various format of station (island and side platform) a river crossing and all ABOVE ground. The same would be true of the other end of the line, all the way to Upminster... Not all underground lines would be that way of course but not all are end to end boring tubes in the ground

• Like Like x 2
  34. Factor41

Indeed. The overground stuff is interesting and in the built up city is every bit as varied as I would want. If you're saying the most interesting but of the underground network is when it's not underground, then I absolutely agree. Not so fussed about (or so sure I'd pay for) this view though... Screenshot_20191027-015045~2.png

35. ARuscoe

No different to the Severn Tunnel for me... In fact I would say that working with no HUD on such a line would be a big challenge so for some that would be a good thing

36. UnlimitedMagic

But this is London Underground. It has a certain feel about it. That’s why people want it.
    New York penn to me still has that feel of driving a commuter line.

37. ARuscoe

Each line may do. The subsurface section on the northern side of the circle line feels very different to the deep level Northern Line which feels very different to the extension to the Jubilee Line near Stratford.
    Even a tube can be very different

Of course the stations can also be very different, with their specific tiling patterns or in the newer stations utterly different with the wind break door systems etc

• Like Like x 1