Peninsula Corridor: Gp38-2 And Abysmal Framerate

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ildario77, Sep 8, 2019.

1. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Hello. Didn't play yet a complete freight service on Peninsula Corridor cause framerate with GP38-2 is a mess, especially with 3-headed trains. Today I noticed an interesting thing: fps drops dramatically only when the GP38-2 is coupled with cars. If it stands near the same row of cars, but not linked, the fps is absolutely normal. As soon as they're linked, boom, it drops. Never happened with similar situations in other DLCs. Any idea about that? I'd like to play Union Pacific services, but I really cannot stand this poor fps (passenger services on Peninsula Corridor are not affected by this problem, although average fps is noticeably lower than other sceneries.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Are you playing on base PS4? I only ask because i play on Xbox 1 X and i experience better frame rates on this route than most of the others. I know there's not any specific enhanced console support but maybe just the raw horsepower makes a difference?

• Like Like x 1
  3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Mines a base PS4 and I haven’t noticed much of an issue

• Like Like x 1
  4. ildario77

Base PS4, problems in timetable mode. In Scenario it's ok. The game on my Ps4, in passengers services, runs exactly like this:

• Like Like x 1
  5. ildario77

We have for sure a different perception about fps. Take a look at that video. If it's smooth for you, then I know why you haven't noticed much of an issue ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Which bit of the video? It’s over 2 hrs

• Like Like x 1
  7. ildario77

It's plenty of stuttering and slowdowns. For example, at 45:50, look at the white building on the right. It's more noticeable in the urban areas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I have a base Xbox One, I also have similar issues. Some areas of the Peninsula Corridor run smoother than others. It kills the sense of speed for sure.

I was shocked when I went to try out the Trans Pennine route, and how smooth it ran in comparison. I think due to the hardware limitations, it's tough to render so many buildings, cars, other trains, etc at once on the screen. I'm leaning on buying an Xbox One X just to play this at a solid 60fps!

• Like Like x 2
  9. ildario77

Don't think an Xbox One X will run it at 60 anytime. I saw a lot of PS4 Pro videos and performances are similar to my base PS4...

• Like Like x 1
  10. ildario77

Drove a freight service on RSG today, don't remember, maybe 20 cars. The longest train I ever drove :D And guess, no problems at all with framerate. It seems it's just a Gp38-2 issue, only in service mode (not in Scenario). I noticed that fps are a bit better at night...

11. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't expect locked 60fps even on Xbox One X.

That being said, it's a fantastic console overall- I consider it a worthwhile upgrade over the base XB1.

12. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

You dont have a locked 60 on any route in TSW with One X. Its more like a 30-60fps varying. I will do a framerate comparision on the Caltrain route between the 2 Xbox One models (S/ X) when i finally find the time

13. ildario77

Watched a PS4 Pro video about a service in NTP and compared it with my performances. Nothing "scientific", but it seems that every single stuttering or fps drop is the same, in the same spot, everytime. If PS4 Pro or Xbox One X add 2, 3 frames, well, it's just not worth it. I was considering to buy a new Pro, but I think I'll stick with my old 2014 PS4. Waiting for PS5...

14. ildario77

As a follow-up, Gp32-2 has low framerate also on NEC. Never noticed before cause I don't play that route very often.

15. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I can see this building jump as well. I think it's happening all of the time, but this one looks really bad because there is a vertical window frame in the foreground, for the view of the building to be compared against.

As you had guessed a while back (in a different thread), I am not particularly sensitive to framerate issues, and I personally find the framerate debate a little bit perplexing. I think this is only in TSW though - because I am looking at so much else that it is going on. I know that it is very important to other people, and that is perfectly fair enough.

In other games, framerate issues would drive me nuts. But this is only (for me) when low framerate or dropped frames interfere with some action. So, Dirt Rally (1.0) at Monaco, approaching a hairpin under braking on ice/snow - if a few frames drop, then you are in the barrier, or in the trees below... (it was only ever at Monaco). I sometimes get the same horrible feeling in TSW (but very rarely), when there is a sort of freeze on screen when I am braking (and when that braking input is changing, and is a bit marginal). So - in short, for me, it's only a problem for me when it's really really bad visually, or..... when it's slightly bad, but impacts on an action that needs immediate visual feedback.

I have a PS4 Pro with a 1Tb HDD. I am fairly sure that TSW makes no use of the extra "Pro" processing power. But, there might be performance gains elsewhere (over a 2014 PS4), such as a slightly better hard disk, or a better HDMI connection with the TV. I almost always use a PSVR headset for cinema effect - and to me, TSW almost always appears fairly smooth. The only time I expect to see stuff jump about is on the last couple of miles into Paddington on GWE.

16. ildario77

Yes, framerate debate is one of the most individual things, cause is just about perception. For me it's quite annoying, even if it doesn't interfere directly with any action. The more I play Peninsula Corridor, the more I notice how it is gimpy. In comparison, I'm playing Tees Valley right now and except the big depot areas, it runs smooth as silk.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  17. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Well, on TSW, when things jolt about because of a few skipped frames, etc., my brain just assumes that it is the train. ;-)

I think you raise fair points, and I am not sure my perception of the issue helps (maybe I am too old...).

But, I have to admit that I slightly wince when people talk about framerate, because it always reminds me of a raging online debate I saw between two people, who were fighting over the merits/cost associated with graphics cards that could deliver between 60 fps and 75 fps on a certain game.... This went on and on and on.... and in the end someone (not me) asked them about their monitors, and they both had 50Hz monitors..... :o

(yes, I am aware that an averaged 60fps rate over a second can include split second dips below 50fps..., but it was still really very funny when they both then suddenly went "oh" and stopped arguing....)

• Like Like x 1