London - Tilbury - Southend Railway: Fenchurch Street - Shoeburyness

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Aug 15, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Moin,

Another British route that would be roughly in TWS's length range, while at the same time feeling more "complete" than much of what we have now thanks to proper terminals at both ends: Enter the London-Tilbury-Southend Railway stretching from London Fenchurch to Shoeburyness on the East coast.

General
    Era: Modern-ish
    Length end to end: 42 mi/68 km (via Basildon)
    max speed: 75 mph
    # of passenger stations: 37
    Service types: Underground, Commuter, Local, Express, Cargo
    # of tracks: 1-4
    Electrified: OHLE, 3rd Rail (Underground)

Lines included at least partially:

Fenchurch St. - Shoeburyness
    Upminster - Tilbury - Pitsea
    District Line, Whitechapel - Upminster

Suitable vehicles (among others):
    Class 357
    Class 387
    TfL D-Stock
    TfL S-Stock
    any cargo engine

Maps
    London-Shoeburyness Map.PNG London-Shoeburyness.PNG

Key Locations
    [​IMG]

Fenchurch Street

[​IMG]
    Whitechapel

[​IMG]
    Upminster

[​IMG]
    Shoeburyness

Further Impresions
    [​IMG]

Limehouse
    [​IMG]
    West Ham
    [​IMG]
    Barking
    [​IMG]
    Grays
    [​IMG]
    Tilbury Town
    [​IMG]
    Basildon
    [​IMG]
    Pitsea
    [​IMG]
    Southend Central
    [​IMG]
    Ockenden

• Like Like x 32
  2. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

I love this idea! I wouldn't mind it in the modern era, but I would also like to see a transitional when the 312s were withdrawn and the 357s were being introduced as well. There's also that small bit to Liverpool Street as well but considering the amount of buildings etc which exist on that route and the amount of trains per day, I don't think it's worth rendering.

As for the District Line, I do like the idea of supplementing it and Whitechapel is a good place to terminate the trains as you won't have the full route. If this was the "transitional" period as mentioned above, you'd have both the C and D stocks as well to play with :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. thearkerportian

Please not another historic British route, it's getting boring. We have so much variety in TS2019, and in TSW 3 out of four British routes are set in past eras... "because licensing." So the Arriva Trains Wales and Northern and and First Group logos were all used illegally or what? ;)

• Like Like x 6
  4. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

I'm just saying for the sake of variety in the stock you could set it about 15 years ago. But it doesn't matter to me at the end of the day :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. thearkerportian

Touché :)

Those blue 357 sure do look fancy :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Would be better in the 80s. Plenty of oil and freightliners hauled by 31s/37s/47s and a chance to have Ripple Lane TMD.
    Aggregate traffic too with 56s/59s.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I’m not gonna lie but I like it in modern day
    And I’m getting sick of blue era routes

• Like Like x 6
  8. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be blue to be 80s. Plenty of large logo, Railfreight, red-stripe Railfreight and triple-grey sectorised liveries in the mix if paint is your thing. 59s obviously in Foster Yeoman livery. Units in NSE.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They were used in TSx which is a different product. Just because DTG had licenses to use those logos in that product doesn't mean they do in every product

• Like Like x 1
  10. thearkerportian

I know. My point was, DTG have shown they are capable of acquiring more than one license per country/era/whatever.

11. ARuscoe

I look at it the other way round. If a company gave license before and don't now then that company must have changed focus or be requiring something that they didn't before. And given the subsidies all of them make from the travelling and tax paying public...

12. thearkerportian

Well we don't know what it says exactly in these licensing contracts, what they cover, what they don't, how long they are valid, whether a specific number of games/DLC was agreed on, and so on and so on. Chances are, it varies from contract to contract...

Those are just interna we can only speculate about.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  13. ARuscoe

Indeed, but given what they've released and NOT released so far gives us a good indication of what they can do and what needs... negotation?

14. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Now this is a network not covered in TSW.
    I think with Brtish routes. Not saying anything derogatory mind, will there be much to do? The LIRR is good but boring, the NTP is challenging due to the diesels, there's more to do than even MSB. I think if this route offers a lot of options for a challenging drive, DTG will consider it, just thinking since playing NTP.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  15. ARuscoe

If they do the whole network (there are three lines on the C2C route) then this would include all of the docks on the northern shores of the Thames, the ford factory at Dagenham and a couple of depots for the passenger routes, so yes, lots of things to do depending on what they implement

• Like Like x 1
  16. thearkerportian

Quite a lot to do indeed. Even if it's "only" the two lines in the maps, that means we have two different ways to drive from one end to the other, plus a good number of services that cover only a part of the route. Plus the occasional cargo train, plus the District Line underground. There would indeed be a further line connecting Barking and Grays more directly, which would of course increase the versatility of services even more. Especially concerning cargo as far as I know. I left that third line out of the suggestion to keep it in a realistic frame, but it is an option nonetheless of course.

17. ARuscoe

The routes are:
    Fenchurch Street - Grays via Dagenham Dock
    Fenchurch Street - Southend via Ockendon and Grays
    Fenchurch Street - Shoeburyness via Laindon and Southend

So yes, two sets of rails and one link, but three routes.
    There's also the possibility of a "weekend working diversion" to Liverpool Street via Stratford if they really wanted to put the effort in

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. joshdarby666

joshdarby666 New Member

I really do hope this route gets made.....

• Like Like x 2
  19. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

If they do make it - What put me off the rest of the Western Mainlines franchise is the lack of scenarios. As a community we cry out for longer routes but so far i’ve seen no one make more than a handful of scenarios for WM; I’m not a content maker for TS, so I do appreciate those that find the time, as there are more scenarios on Steam Workshop for the short sections of track, than there are for the full ECML in TS2019.
    Hopefully the TSW Editor is easier to use, if that’s the case currently.

20. Ross12

Ross12 New Member

This would be a route that I would like to see, given the fact that it offers a good variety of trains and routes. I would like to see some Modern and Old Tube Stock (S, C & D) and some mainline trains too. But this is probably too much to ask for due to the fact that there would be too many different types of train to make, and the route is quite a large size...

21. thearkerportian

Yeah, that might be a problem. It's longer than 20 miles.

22. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Love this suggestion. I worked on this line for 7 years and lived next to it for 20.
    I would be happy with any era from 1960. My preference would be around 1980 with a mixture of Blue and Blue/Grey 302s and 308s, with CO/CP, R, C and D stock. Modern would be good too as there would be 357s and 387s, the latter being very useful on other lines in the future.
    Of course, 305s, 310s, 312s, 317s and on a couple of occasions 321s also ran on LTS metals and the freight is varied throughout the ages. There was also an HST railtour back in the day.

Ideally the route would be Fenchurch Street- Shoeburyness via the mainline with the two branches and the District at least to Whitechapel or Tower Hill. A few of the goods yards and terminals around Tilbury and Thames Haven would be good and for some left-field fun there's the MOD lines beyond Shoeburyness Station that was, for many years, a slam-door EMU graveyard.

For me, TSW is missing;
    1) A UK electrified line.
    2) An intense UK commuter service.
    3) Something in the South East.
    4) UK EMUs.
    5) An end to end service from the UK network.

If I could upvote twice, I would have done.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Ross12

Ross12 New Member

This could easily be solved with this or a MerseyRail Electrics route. They are only about an hours drive end to end (Hunts Cross to Southport), and some as little as 20 minutes (Liverpool Central - Kirkby). With a MRE route, there would only be a few trains to make, a 507/508 and a 777. Plus, I would just love to have some underground, whether it is National Rail or another (such as TFL, Glasgow, Tyne & Wear)...

• Like Like x 2
  24. MonTuxia

MonTuxia New Member

this one gets my vote, hope to see it happen :).

• Like Like x 2
  25. kevint1972

kevint1972 Member

Of all the railways I've used regularly, I think this is the best suited to Train Simulator. It's about the right length for a good drive and there's a very wide variety of scenery, from the City of London to the Thames estuary seaside, and while most seaside routes don't take you very close to the sea, the stretch between Benfleet and Leigh on Sea runs right next to the beach with boats parked alongside. Potential scenarios include match day for West Ham fans (I have been on that train!), the shoppers' train to Lakeside and of course the London commute. Also 2 potential London terminuses at Fenchurch Street and Liverpool Street. It's actually a well run railway and probably the most reliable London route, and worth taking a trip on if you're ever in the area.

• Like Like x 2
  26. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

I think this would be a great route to have in TS classic. It's one of the last major lines out of London left undone. I'm not sure it's major enough for TSW yet. They've got bigger fish to fry like London to Brighton, WCML and ECML. Realistically they need to get those big popular routes out before they start doing smaller ones. Mind you, you could say East Coastway didn't really fit that mould, so...I don't know what their thought process was there.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Great points there, though I'm ashamed to say that I worked on LTS Rail before it was a well-run little route, though I didn't appreciate it at the time, we had some great vintage rolling stock. I think setting it in 2003 with a few worn-out 312s and new 357s not to mention available C and D stock for an Upminster to Bow Road bit of Underground driving too! That would give the VDL guys an easier target as their route spreads east.

The 312s still carried NSE livery and the 357s were all blue, so no actual company liveries to get licences for either. God it makes sense especially now TS is stable enough to cope with busy routes. The 312s go with WCMLs, GEML, ECMLs and the 357s would be useful AI for GOBLIN and GEML not to mention the superb freight opportunities.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  28. railman#1239

railman#1239 New Member

This gets my vote

• Like Like x 1
  29. crawford#3813

crawford#3813 New Member

I rode the C2C from Grays to Fenchurch may times when I was on vacation. I would love to see this line brought to TWS2

30. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Absolutely this. Though I wouldn't rule it out in the modern era but something like the transition across from the 302's and 308's to the 312's would also be good.