Germany: Nuremberg - Regensburg

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by madmeister, Feb 20, 2018.

1. madmeister

madmeister Member

Built by the Bayerischen Ostbahnen in 1872 this exactly 100 kilometer long route connects the capital of eastern Bavaria, Regensburg, to the city of Nuremburg which is one of germanys central hubs for trains.

map.png

Besides beeing one of germanys most beautiful railway lines with its three viaducts over the rivers danube and laber and its stunning landscape as well as many original railway buildings along the line like old signal boxes or disused stations or the impressive architecture of the main stations at Nuremburg and Regensburg, it is also host to the full range of railway traffic from international freight or passenger trains to regional trains or even S-Bahn services around Nuremburg with all common or uncommon german or foreign rolling stock.

Route:

danube.jpg

Starting in the heart of the city of Regensburg the route goes towards the west to Prüfening where the line to Ingolstadt diverges. Between these stops once layed the local freight yard that has been derelict in the 90s and sees now housing developement.
    After the city borders the line crosses the river danube on the Mariaorter Eisenbahnbrücke (Mariaorter railway bridge) that is a common spot for rail enthusiasts for taking pictures (as seen above).
    Now we will follow the river Naab for a short while. Along this section stood once germanys shortest railway tunnel which was demolished in 2011.
    The next sight is just a few kilometers further the Beratzhausener Eisenbahnbrücke at Beratzhausen. It is a bridge over the Laber where you have a beautiful view of.
    And again the next sight is a bridge, the Deininger Eisenbahnbrücke. It looks very similiar to the bridge bevor, but is higher and longer.
    Now we reach Neumarkt which is the terminus for local trains from Regensburg and S-Bahn trains from Nuremburg. It has the largest railway infrastructure from all the intermdiate stops and here also starts a branchline to the firm Max Bögl which often has interesting freight like beton tubes or other building related objects.
    After the high speed line from Munich merged and we passed the branchline to the Nuremburg freight yard we join with a railway line to Hof to reach our final stop Nuremburg.
    At this station all trains from Regensburg beside the Intercity ones end.

Most of the 22 railway stations still have their original station buildings.

Beratzhausen_bridge.jpg

Rolling stock:

train_2.JPG

Passenger:

As above mentioned the variety of rolling stock is enormous, so here is a short excerpt:

-ICE T :
    First introduced in the 90s the Inter City Express service between Frankfurt to Vienna is a great success. Formerly ICE trains of the 1st generation were used but were unfortunatly replaced by the ICE T around 2010. The trains run every 2 hours and don't have any stop between.

-BR 111:
    Only fast regional services are run by locomotives of this type. It was produced from 1974 to 1984 and on this route it only can be seen with Doppelstock coaches. This train stops at Regensburg, Beratzhausen, Parsberg, Neumarkt and Nuremburg.

-BR 440 EMU:
    Beeing the most modern passenger train on this route (2011) this EMU services the section between Regensburg and Neumarkt with all 10 stops in between.

-BR 442 EMU:
    This train is used on the newest service on the line: the S-Bahn section between Nuremburg and Neumarkt which was first introduced in 2010.

Freight:

Many differnt locos from many different or foreign companies run on this line but these two are the most commom:

-BR 185.2:
    This electric locomotive is often seen in the DB colours but also private companys. It can haul everything from Intermodal to coal and anything in between.

-Siemens Vectron:
    Mostly obtained by private companies this loco is mostly seen in front of intermodal or mixed trains.

NRH.png

So I think this route is a must have for train simulator since it is not only extremely beautiful but also very fun to drive since you have that diversity of trains and services that other routes don't have.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 14
  2. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I was born in Furth which is the city right next to Nürnberg. I would love if they made the route go all the way there which is like a mile or two more at the most. Or perhaps make a Nürnberg-Würzburg line at some point. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Route is very nice, ant the trains also!
    And a Route from Nuremberg to Würzburg would be awesome, cause then it would be just 20 miles from Würzburg to Gemünden, and maybe this could be the first mega route, where you could drive 2 Hours on one route:
    Nuremberg- Würzburg-Gemünden-Aschaffenburg.
    AWESOME

• Like Like x 3
  4. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Isn't the Gemunden-Aschaffenburg only available on TSW though?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Swisstrains

Yes, it is, but just Gemünden- Aschaffenburg.
    And just imagine when they would bring in Nuremberg-Gemünden...
    Then you could drive a freight train, or an ICE later on (this would be a perfect add on inbetween) from Aschaffenburg to Nuremberg!
    And I mean, come on!
    That would be awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Sure but it's not something we will see anytime soon I think although this new route from Nürnberg to Regensburg should be great.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Swisstrains

Thats totally right!

8. madmeister

madmeister Member

I hope so, although I really have no clue if these route suggestions have anything to do with the routes dtg created recently or if it's all just a happy little accident.

9. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I've been playing the game since 2014 and I don't think they take the route suggestions into much consideration.