Lirr's Ronkonkoma Branch [west Side]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kiyoko91, Sep 8, 2019.

1. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

The LIRR's Ronkonkoma Branch opened 1837-44. With 8 stations between Hicksville & Ronkonkoma itself; including Bethpage, Farmingdale, Pinelawn [Limited service], Wyandanch, Deer Park, Brentwood, and Central Islip. Six Greenport Branch stations on the east side without electrified, just diesel trains. A brand new third track between Floral Park & Hicksville. And a double track it's now been completed to avoid delays between Ronkonkoma & Farmingdale by waiting a train one at the another. You have the Central Branch @ the Bethpage station to/from the Montauk Branch via the Babylon Station, and possible reopening the Republic station. On rush-hours, trains will run express or local, some trains will run to/from Farmingdale in Long Island & Atlantic Terminal in Downtown Brooklyn; also stopping at Mineola on weekdays, bypass on late nights & weekends. The R.B. carried M7 EMU, the upcoming M9 trains [replacing the M3 cars], EMD DE30AC, and DM30AC with C3 coaches a.k.a. the Cannonball will be used on the Oyster Bay [north of Mineola], Port Jefferson [east of Huntington], Greenport [east of Ronkonkoma] & Montauk [east of Babylon] Branches with also includes the Ronkonkoma Rail Yard (Mid-Suffolk Yard), just east of this station. And station enhancements is now occurred between Floral Park & Westbury.
    R.B. runs between Ronkonkoma & Penn Station only. About 50-85 minutes.

[​IMG]
    The train bound for Farmingdale (probably for the 2009 U.S. Open Golf Championship), Hicksville, and Jamaica leaves Deer Park (LIRR station).

[​IMG]
    Train Number 7466 making its way to Ronkonkoma on the Ronkonkoma Branch.

[​IMG]
    For more info, go to these websites on the bottom...
    https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronkonkoma_Branch
    http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branch/RonkonkomaBranch.pdf
    https://wikipedia.org/wiki/M7_(railcar)
    https://wikipedia.org/wiki/M9_(railcar)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

While any extra track is welcome, I think the GWE needs extending more than the LIRR does. More loco choice would also be good, but not sure the M9 would add that much over the M7 (I might be wrong) so maybe that diesel would be a good add-on?

3. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Agree
    Oxford and the branch lines

• Like Like x 1
  4. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing all of this is wishful thinking when there are new routes to produce that we'll happily pay fresh money for.

Have they ever actually been back and extended an existing DLC after its release?

• Like Like x 1
  5. UnlimitedMagic

No

6. UnlimitedMagic

But honestly I would prefer a separate GWE with class 387’s and 800’s with Oxford. I would pay for that then a extension to the Original GWE

7. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Ronkonkoma would be awesome for TSW for a lirr Dlc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaaymo

Jaaymo Member

I second this proposal

9. Jaaymo

Jaaymo Member

I’ll also share my opinion of an extension to port Washington DLC for LIRR as well

10. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

I'm already proposed that route.

11. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Not in TSW unfortunately, it's fairly common practise for TS20x routes though. Bristol to Cardiff, then Swansea. SanFran to San Jose, then Gilroy. Portsmouth to Woking, then Waterloo. Though that last one was a complete rebuild of course rather than an extension. So given TSW's architecture allows for route extensions in the first place (I don't know), maybe we'll start seeing that happen one day. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mrchuck

The peninsula corridor is about 75 kilometers. So i think Dovetail could extend the lirr route from Hicksville to ronkonkoma or Huntington which would be awesome. Fingers crossed.

13. mrchuck

What about the Port Jefferson Branch that’s the scenic Branch of the lirr.