Dtg, Fix Your Game Before Adding Pointless Features.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LucaW, Sep 18, 2019.

1. LucaW

LucaW New Member

DTG, why do you keep timing me out in your streams? Is it because you don't want your customers to see me telling the truth about you? I have a £1000 PC which I built less than a month ago which can run TS at anywhere between 30-60FPS. It should be a solid 60 considering the basic nature of the graphics of TS. Another huge issue is that I have EVERYTHING on maximum but there is STILL massive amounts of aliasing, despite it being on max. This issue is even more prominent on your newer Train Simulator game TSW, now I know you're known for not listening to customers and basically not caring for anything other than MONEY MONEY MONEY but PLEASE JUST LISTEN FOR ONCE! I want to be able to play the game and have it look semi-decent but I cannot because of your laziness. Stop adding features such as FOV changes because you know full well thats a very basic feature of the steam launch options and it's been possible for YEARS. Also, why are you adding graphics changes when RW Enhancer already exists and already does a fantastic job? Stop adding pointless features and actually fix your game! No doubt you'll delete this because you hate people giving you negative (but constructive) feedback.

• Like Like x 5
  2. LucaW

LucaW New Member

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600
    RX VEGA 56 8gb
    16GB DDR4 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM
    Asus B450MA-C

• Like Like x 4
  3. soluchyte

soluchyte Guest

I'd like to add on
    TSW and TS19 run like trash on both of my high end PCs as well.

PC 1
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For £325.20)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For £24.98)
    Motherboard: MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For £151.69)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For £169.92)
    Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £78.40)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £102.95)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card (Purchased For £625.48)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £69.68)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMi 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £109.99)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
    Monitor: LG 27UD68-P 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For £359.99)
    Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For £120.00)
    Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For £48.95)
    Custom: Sennheiser HD 6XX (Purchased For £225.00)
    Total: £2412.23
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-18 19:37 BST+0100

PC 2
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For £188.99)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For £64.67)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For £152.39)
    Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £92.50)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card (Purchased For £104.00)
    Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £52.00)
    Power Supply: Corsair 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £67.99)
    Total: £722.54
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-18 19:38 BST+0100

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

You're very much right about that. I use custom settings but I would say they're set to medium high-ish and I get 30-40 fps on most routes. I'm totally fine with that but when you look at the graphics it really should run better. Somehow implementing a performance boost would be great, maybe some optimizations. 60 fps on demanding routes would be amazing! The stuttering is also a pain in the neck. My framerate drops from 30-40 to 10 for about five seconds when more of the route loads, and it sucks.

My PC specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
    GPU: EVGA GTX-1050ti
    8GB of RAM
    Windows 10 64bit

• Like Like x 1
  5. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The graphics CAN'T be better because it's using DX9 as an engine. Newer spec machines are basically pointless as it relies almost exclusively on the cycle speed of a single core of your processor, and given newer processors are running at lower power (so less cycles) but have more cores (which DX9 can't access)

Four years. DX12 came out with Win10 in July 2015

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

My 3 year old Intel i5-6400 with an AMD Radeon RX480 GPU runs the game just fine.

I think with older or lower spec games, less is often more.

8. capncol

capncol Member

My set up is just coming up to its third birthday and apart from upgrading my video card (to a GTX 1060) and adding a bit more ram (to make it 16gb) it runs really well. The 64 bit update has really made a big difference in play-ability and apart from a few micro stutters I am quite happy :love: Hopefully the new tweaks will improve it even more and even though I do have RWenhancer pro, I am looking forward to this new update.
    Happy simming.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dunkrez

DX12 Was announced spring 2014, which is when a migration path should have been organised by the development team.

Read my forum post on TS @ 4k, it covers pretty much everything you have said, but with a positive outlook and decent results... Also, RWenhancer Pro gives the end user the ability to give TS amazing visuals (even though it's using DX9), please see below:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

DX12 was announced by Microsoft when they announced Win10, but they didn't release it to other than specific developers until win10 came out and the devkit was released.

RWE alters the parameters within train simulator, so of course it works within that engine. That's what DTG are implementing in game and on the fly in the update, Won't make too much difference to me because I'm not expecting high spec visuals from a a years old game. Your mileage may vary

11. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

The basis of the problem is the game engine itself, it is old, very old in game standards as it came out in 2009.
    It has been modified, especially with the TS2019 release with 64-bit. But overall it will be the same.

As long as you have 30 FPS or more, the game runs smooth and works fine. Older routes tend to use less scenery or more simple scenery, less build up areas with many different tracks, which can then lead up to 100+ FPS.

The game mostly is CPU intensive but no more then 2 cores are used. With a 12 core CPU, it won't use more then 2. It all depends on the higher clock speed.
    What also helps with FPS drops during the simulation is to use an SSD (M.2 is basically overkill, as it loads small files, not large ones). It helps reduce loading times when a new set of tiles is loaded in.

So your 24 core super high end Ryzen, with RTX 2080 Graphics and dominus motherboard costing more then €1300 will work fine in triple A game and more recent games. But it won't perform better with Train Simulator then hardware from 2016, which you can buy for just a few hunderd euro's.
    Moar powah in the PC doesn't mean better performance for this older engine!

DTG does keep the game alive, but don't expect many fixes, there are glitches in the oldest routes on how it handles some graphics corruption when using older content (those black vertical bars when cars drive past).

Personally I don't use RW Enhancer or other of such programs.
    Most of it I can achieve when just using the Armstrong Powerhouse Weather pack, it makes such a difference in scenario's, would recommend that more then RW Enhancer.

All in all, to sum it up.
    If you have 30+ FPS, you are running the game pretty good. Just enjoy it.
    You won't see 144 FPS gaming with this game unless it is pretty bare around it.
    If you expect 60+ constantly, don't bother and just play another game if you want high refresh rates.

• Like Like x 3
  12. dunkrez

Did anyone bother to read my 5GHz 4k thread?

Also, when a major update is announced by a software giant like Microsoft, or Google, AWS etc, usually devs are all hands on deck exploring the implications prior to release. This is from personal career experience. Its good practice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

Most devs and network managers I know wait until SP1 or 2 comes out from Microsoft because their virgin releases are so buggy. It's why I would never install their software until at least six months after release.
    Good practice is usually to wait until a stable release rather than the beta version they usually dump out on the populace, and DTG don't use the native engine anyway, but an adapted version of it (not forgetting that Railworks was originally adapted from MSTS)

14. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Why did you need to downvote my post (dunkrez), only because I didn't link your post or was it because I said that I personally don't use or like RW Enhancer? Also most people would not even try overclock, as for Intel you need to have the K version of the processor, better cooling and so on.

My post has been from personal experience with running this simulator for over 7 years.
    There are routes that work fine, freeware routes (that use one or two payware Add-ons) runs better then some payware stuff as they cleverly use the assets placement so that tweaking in the Control Panel is not necessary.

Also to note, that your guide is not completely applicable to the original thread starter, as they clearly state that they don't have an NVidia card.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dunkrez

I just like to approach problems with a positive can do attitude.

I managed to get TS running at a constant 60fps at max settings for the majority of routes. I do believe the core engine needs updating to DX12. I have a lifetime of software engineering as a very successful career to support my views.

Moaning and complaining only gets things so far, sometimes a helping hand or positive direction is needed to achieve change. Once a problem has been identified, it can usually be solved :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So we should not have in built graphics changes but instead purchase something that is not supported by DTG?

I tried RW Enhancer when it came out and it made the game worse on my computer and so it could do the same on others.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  17. soluchyte

soluchyte Guest

I think the problem is more that DTG are still putting resources into TS20 and not into TSW which is the future proof game
    Also DTG at the same time are stupid for not enabling Vulkan support on TSW (which made the latest Doom run like a dream on any modern mid range system at 4K)

18. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

The game engine actually goes back to MSTS.