Ts20: Wasatch Wonderment!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Sep 18, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

Union Pacific’s famed route through Utah’s Wasatch Range – re-created in the steam-to-diesel transition era of the 1950s – is coming soon to Train Simulator!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 6
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

That looks like a beast of a DLC. Three engines, liveries, loads of wagons and a load of developed yards... shame I don't buy US stuff, but I'm sure "big steam fans" will love this one

• Like Like x 1
  3. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Wow. Do want

• Like Like x 1
  4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I. Will. Buy. This.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

YES. ALL THE YES!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Inhales YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY! A NEW STEAM ERA ROUTE! MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Lol Buynot . I mentally imagined the seagull meme of that :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Looks amazing! The steam/diesel transition is an underrepresented era for the US, so it's nice to see some new content in that area. This will also go great with the new Smokebox Big Boy whenever that gets released. Just a note for Gary - the over/under flyover is called "Curvo" and not "Curvco" as stated in the article.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Will be looking forward to this

• Like Like x 1
  10. andrew.umlauft1

andrew.umlauft1 Member

Can't wait to drive the big boy up Weber and Echo canyon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Now I know I'm gonna get a ton of downvotes and other crap for this, but you know, I have a right to my opinion...

ENOUGH MOUNTAIN PASSES ALREADY!!! Jeez, it's like every US route they release is a mountain pass where you're dragging a freight train up the side of a mountain or through the woods at like 20 mph. How about some more passenger routes, or fast freight routes? I don't know of too many US routes available for this game where you can run a freight train at 60-70 mph across the whole route. You also have to take time into account. Yeah the mountain passes are scenic, but not a lot of people have the 3-4 hours required to lug a heavy freight train at a crawl over the whole route. I personally find myself either getting bored or having to go do other things before I can even get to the really scenic parts of most mountain passes.

The route looks pretty, but function wise, it's the same as most other US routes. Therefore, I probably won't be buying this one unless I can get it cheap on sale sometime in the future. If a passenger route or a fast freight route in the east or the midwest comes out, maybe I'll go for that instead. Bring on the downvotes! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Adam Palmer

Adam Palmer Active Member

Definitely looking forward to this one, as well as adding the FEF Northern for even more operational variety. One criticism is that I would've liked to see at least one or two smaller steam engines or diesel switchers on the route to work the yards and whatnot. More than likely though this will route will work for the different eras as well, maybe even modern.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GWR5029

GWR5029 Member

Cracking to see some more scenic lines from the States especially in the transition from steam to diesel. I am a little disappointed that Train Simulator continues to focus on the massive American steam locos, what about a 4-6-0 or UP 4-6-2 or a 2-8-2? These engines continued in secondary goods traffic. A quick search reveals UP’s elderly 1243, a 4-6-0 working into the 1950s. The scenery looks splendid but I would like to see some new engines, not just the same F7s and Big Boys, and some small American steam. Except the Smokebox Consolidation and the B&LE 0-6-0 there is no “standard American Steam”, it is all large express engines like the fabulous FEF-3, GS-4, Berkshire, and other 4-8-4s, something which would go nicely with this route alongside Big Boys.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This route has been done by Milepost Simulations, a third party developer

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gary Dolzall

Gary Dolzall Well-Known Member

Oops, thanks for the correction Railfan722.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I agree, we need some mid-size steam! I think some USRA locomotive designs would be nice to have, and since they were mass produced for multiple railroads, they would be able to go with alot of other routes in addition to this one!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The Britkits set of USRA locomotives, while somewhat dated, are still pretty good. It would be pretty nice to see some other steamers other than the USRA types, though.

18. Random Railfan

We really do. Right now most of the American steamers that are available in Train Simulator are t h i c c so something different is welcome. I do enjoy large steamers but still that definitely isn't the only kind of steam locomotive in the United States. How about a 2-10-0 Decapod or a 1900's-1920's 2-6-0 Mogul? Just another great reason for the addition of the Strasburg Railroad if you're in it for the rolling stock it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Having a 2-6-0, would be nice. If there was a dynamically numbered version of #89 I could see it getting use for some steam era shortline routes on the workshop.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Random Railfan

That would be cool. It might be a pain for scenario creators trying to use it in Strasburg Railroad scenarios though.

21. andrew.umlauft1

andrew.umlauft1 Member

What about smaller praire locomotives like the 9000 series?

22. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

The UP 9000s were 4-12-2s. Probably the farthest thing from a Prairie type lol.

23. andrew.umlauft1

andrew.umlauft1 Member

Oh well, they worked well in Nebraska.

24. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would love this route. Big Boys and Challengers all the way. Plus, the route has both UP and SP Black Widow F7s. If any DLC is made for this route, I'd like a UP 4-12-2, SP or UP SD7/9, or GP7/9. An SP FM H-24-66 Trainmaster could be great, too.

25. treid09

treid09 Guest

I agree with you, especially on the 4-12-2. Those were three-cylinder beasts that were hard to service, but hard pullers.

• Like Like x 1
  26. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I can not recommend this route -- While the route itself isn't bad - the Big Boy and Challenger are old, old models that have severe problems that have been long withstanding.

I ran the first scenario for the Big Boy and when apply in the brakes with only a 15 PSI reduction to slow down to 35 mph speed zone - once I released the brakes - the whole consist sling shotted ahead and gained another 15 mph and also racked up a horrendous penalty for drive quality. Rest of the scenario I had to manually apply car brakes to slow down to avoid repeating the same actions.

I applied the physics and some texture fixes from RWA which did improve the driving and visual appearance of the BiG Boy somewhat, but on the second scenario, I had a perfect score up to the next to last task which was to stop at a coaling tower to refuel. I came to a complete stop (0.0 mph) but was about 1/2 car length short. Even applied a bit of loco brakes, but when releasing the train brakes the whole consist sling shotted ahead and hit 10 mph before getting the beast under control. Not prototypical behavior methinks :).

So avoid this route unless you are like me and want it to swap out engines for the FEF or want it for the future release of SmokeBox's much anticipate Big Boy. Or you just want some comic relief driving a broken locomotive.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  27. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This route would also be the perfect one for the gas turbines. I'd like to see the gas turbine that was included in the Sherman Hill route a while back re-released as a stand-alone loco.

28. treid09

treid09 Guest

Looks amazing! Now I just need to clean up the puddle of drool on my keyboard...

• Like Like x 1