Ts2020 Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChooChooKeith, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ChooChooKeith

ChooChooKeith Active Member

Wondering if the update including the routes listed in the update list or is that for people who have them??? Mentioned was Southhampton-Bournmouth and then Nuremburg and the NorthfolK N-Line. Just wondering
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

No, the update will just update your base game; the additional routes which are now bundled with it have to be bought separately if you don't already have them. They have been reduced since 2020 came out, but it looks like, on PS4 at least, they're all back up to full price now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChooChooKeith

Then this is a basic update. I hate that they call this Train Simulator 2020 then just like 2019 was not a big update. A big update to me would be something that I suggest in another thread which was to upgrade the different trains cab with functioning buttons. One of the things that would make this sim better would be having functionality inside the cab such as the computer where you plug in destinations and things. U-Bahn Frankfurt is the only route that does this. I hope some other updates will come as well. I like the other features but just thought it would be a little bigger since calling it 2020 but they did this in 2019 as well.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Didn't we go over this last year?
    TS20x is the core engine / control interface. You're talking about updates to DLC, which is completely different.
    Button functioning is about programming and what is "clickable" so has little to do with the front end. Things have been clickable for years.

U-Bahn Frankfurt has a lot of things that other JustTrains routes don't have (Bristol to Exeter is one of theirs and it has AWS and that's about it)

I'm not disagreeing that there could have been much more major changes made, and this seems to be the "how do we take the best screenshot" update but DLC changes aren't what I would be thinking.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ChooChooKeith

I get that is the core. but the core update also came with route updates which no one has unless purchased as well so what good is the update then? We play Train simulator for the trains and the routes. The base program is fine for now unless they really upgrade the engine which people say they can and they can't. whatever! its disappointing that DLC was not updated as well other then the routes coming with 2020 which you have to buy anyways.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you think of your computer it has a version of Windows on it and Microsoft release an update to it at a set interval.
    That update does not change any of the Programs that are on your computer - unless it is a Microsoft Program.

So that DTG can fix faults easier everyone runs the same version on the Game - the update comes out around this time and installs new files and features for Everybody irrespective of what Route they own.

The Core update did not come with any routes - This years version of the game comes with three routes as it has done each year

Like everyone else if you wish any of the new routes you buy them - sometimes it is cheaper to buy the new package just for the routes contained. Personally I won't as I don't want the N-Line route (US Content) or the Southampton - Bournemouth route (too short)

If I want the Nürnberg to Regensburg route I will wait for it to appear as a stand alone route.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of new features with this Update to the Core Program
    https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-simulator/articles/article/introducing-ts20
    New Customisation Features
    With TS20 we’re also introducing a range of new customisation features so you can achieve your ideal visual experience (adjusting on the fly in game!) to your own taste and new options to change the way you play featuring Quick Drive AI settings and more.
    • New favourites system on the drive menu
    • New scenario filtering option on the drive menu
    • Toggleable AI on Quick Drive
    • Ambient occlusion
    • Contrast
    • Ambient light intensity
    • Sunlight intensity
    • Depth of field (intended for screenshot taking)
    • Field of view
    • Colour filter
    • Screen effect filter
    • Vignettes
    Peter

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

Same as last year, they bundle the core engine with DLC so you effectively get the engine for nothing and DLC at a discount, good for new people, not so good for those who already had the US and UK routes, even if the DE route is exclusive to TS2020 bundle for the next year
    I agree that this "update" isn't exciting to me either. It seems to be Train Simulator, the screenshot edition.

I personally care less about how things LOOK and more about braking physics and that safety systems work right, but DTG do what they do...

• Like Like x 1
  9. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

ChooChooKeith - May I suggest using proper punctuation and maybe break up a few of the long run-on sentences. It would make it much easier for others to read and to try and understand your points.

You have received a free update, but yet you feel the free update wasn’t enough - is that your point? Just trying to understand what you are going on about.

10. ARuscoe

I don't think English is their first language (could be wrong in that)

He wants more DLC functionality like working display boards, voice announcements and controls to work in cab
    He's holding up the JustTrains tram system as an exemplar of how things should work and wants other DLC to meet this standard

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Thanks ARuscoe - nice synopsis, However we have a saying here in Texas — Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Also the core simulation engine and the update we received to it was just that - a core update that all DLC can benefit from — what he wants is updates for free for all the DLC. That is a large request. Good luck with it.

12. ChooChooKeith

That's not what I said, I suggest you read a little bit. I never asked for DLC to be free.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  13. ChooChooKeith

I was using U-Bahn as an example because of what it provides in the experience is all.
    The other routes don't have that. It was a suggestion not a demand, but your Texas boy does not seem to understand that. Whatever I don't really care! To me just like you said the update is like a "screenshot" update. All it added was a way to change color and contrast to a scenario. The update that allows AI to be in Quick Drive is not even an update. If Quick Drive does not have AI, It wont be there no matter if I click the button "Player Train Only or NOT"

14. ChooChooKeith

And yes we went over it last year and I said that at the end of my comment. Just to clear that up!

15. ChooChooKeith

No that's not what I was saying but I don't care anymore. So it does not matter.

16. ChooChooKeith

Since you are on the free thing lets talk about other simulators in comparison that have the same kind of things.
    For instance Flight simulator X steam version. When I buy a payware or DLC as in the Train sim. I get a lot for that package when I purchase it.
    Flight simulator Addon-QualityWings' Ultimate 757 Collection brings you 15 highly detailed and accurate models for FSX and P3D v1/v2, with detailed 2D and 3D cockpits featuring standard 757 gauges or retrofit LCD displays, autopilot, EICAS, TCAS, customisable GPWS and Standard and LITE panel modes.
    Features include over 100 accurate animations, countless liveries, ultra-realistic photoreal textures, two-stage night lighting, realistic flight dynamics and authentic Rolls-Royce and Pratt & Whitney engine sound sets. $14.95

Compared to Train simulator
    • DB BR 407 ‘New ICE 3’ in Deutsche Bahn Inter-City Express livery
    • Prototypical driving behaviour
    • Complex regulation system with AFB and prototypical LZB
    • Prototypical PZB90 V2.0
    • Time-Time SIFA
    • Delayed and smoothly regulated e-brake
    • Magnetic brake simulation
    • Pantograph sparks with sound
    • Usable front and rear coupler hatches
    • Spoken system announcements
    • Switchable instrument lights
    • Reading lamp and cab light
    • Wipers with speed control
    • Realistic sounds
    • Help system
    • 3 Career scenarios for Frankfurt High Speed: Frankfurt – Karlsruhe
    • Quick Drive compatible
    • Download size: 152.4mb
    and this one is at $19.99

and does not come with functioning controls on all the panels. where as the plane does.
    I was just suggesting since this is a Pro Range train to update the panel to where all the buttons work. Is that hard to do or something? Not only do I get those functions but I get updates as well.

I get more for the flight simulator addons then I do on the train simulator. Why is that???
    This does not make sense at all but hey nothing will get fixed or updated so who cares.

17. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Please refrain from personal attacks on this forum, and calm down a bit.

18. ChooChooKeith

I never attacked anyone. I have been attacked though, please read above as it is every time that I have given a simple suggestion. I Live in Texas as well.
    My apologies though LeadCatcher if you thought I was attacking you.

19. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

No worries, just asking to keep it civil, relates to all parties :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. ChooChooKeith

Thank you :) I would love to hear your suggestions and thoughts as well. Please have a good weekend.

21. ARuscoe

And I agree that the UBahn is a very good partial representation of a half working system (there are glaring omissions in the workings of that too, but that's another matter)
    The point is that for these systems to be applied retrospectively to routes is a hell of a lot of work, for little actual payback to the player

• Like Like x 1
  22. ChooChooKeith

I guess I am looking for a little more atmosphere to the sim.

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Some people will have these Flight Sims but I don't so I'm asking a Question

If I go out and buy the latest version of a Flight Sim will it run older content from up to 7 years ago?
    Train Simulator will do that

And yes the Flight Sim aircraft might have more moving leavers and switches - because it needs to have them, but it does not need to draw the landscape at 0 feet and at 200 miles per hour.

So lets say DTG built Train Simulator 2021 and it has a lot more functionality than the current game it would probably not work with anything else and all the DLC that people have bough over the years would be useless and there would be a lot of upset customers.

If you want more functionality in the cab whilst driving the train swap to Train Sim World.
    There you can walk around the loco or unit cab, open doors, stand on the platform, walk thru the train, interact with the world.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

Trains in TSW don't have more functionality. The screens are still blank, the passenger information is still blank...
    Getting up and moving about doesn't make driving the train more immersive (nor does finding route maps etc). I see the same arguments on the TSW forum in this issue as we get in TSx

• Like Like x 1
  25. ChooChooKeith

Your question on the flight sim. Yes content does work but they have also advanced the sim to work with update to date technology also. You can get upgrades to the aircraft as well. The other thing that flight sim has is Multiplayer and I know that cannot happen in Train sim so ok. Just pointing it out.
    That's great that in TSW you can walk around but I can do that in TS as well. That's not what I am talking about though. I am talking about atmosphere and functions. The atmosphere is kind of out there in the form of Versystems and the informator which comes with U-Bahn. These tools provide atmosphere. Just wish there was a better way to customize this to a scenario that the players build. Not sure if something could be done in the Scenario editor to do this.
    The functions example is again the U-Bahn trains which have all of the buttons working almost. I am just asking why can that not happen in say the ICE trains. These are the popular trains.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  26. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

IMMO DTG have to take a median approach to both pricing and functionality.

If DTG could add all the bell and whistles then prices would have to go up to cover the extra work involved. We all know how sensitive pricing is.

If DTG did add extra functionality then those with lower spec pcs might have problems; crashes, errors, ooms etc.

DTG have to keep within the one-size-fits-all bracket to give them the broadest market base.

There are first rate 3rd party developers who provide quality content for those who require more bells and whistles and are willing to pay for it.

• Like Like x 2
  27. ChooChooKeith

I get that but the Pricing is already high $40 for a route that comes with Trains that don't have all the functions in them. You wont sell much with that. On the other hand there are the sales that come out and make the pricing reasonable.
    Example the ICE 3 407 that came out was promoted as a Pro Range and I have said this before. If you put Pro range on the product why not have all the bells and whistles with it? I don't see why that can't happen.
    I used the U-Bahn example which they have come out with Version 2 of it and is an improvement. It already has everything like buttons and switches that can be turned on and off and the information system that comes with it. These are two things that really add value. The route right now is at $40. For the same price I can get the Munster-Bremen route but it does not come with everything.
    One more thing I think the models are great but just need a little more to them to enjoy during the ride. What is wrong with that?
    The question is how to approach this if they wanted this to happen. I am just asking. Whether they happen or not I don't know. Just putting it out there is all. Cat thanks for your input.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

If you are into German routes, i suggest getting some of the Virtual Railroads expert line stuff. They can be set to “cold start” which means you have to power the train up from scratch.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Ok, a couple of Questions
    What features are on the U-Bahn units that are not modelled on the BR407?
    Some of the features on the BR407 do not have a Switch or Button in the cab but do have a Keyboard equivalent.

And, as Kim Oleson said above, have you tried a Virtual Railroads Loco?
    These give you a lot of features that are not found on a DTG loco
    DTG have to make their locos and units for people who want the most from it and others who are happy to drive the train with the F4 HUD.

Virtual Railroads locos have a lot more features - have a look at the BR103 - a classic German loco
    https://virtual-railroads.de/gb/elektric-locomotives-el/38-db-e03-expertline.html
    You will find the English Manual on the Attachments tab

And yes, it's more expensive than a DTG loco but you get so much more - extra functions cost money

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  30. ChooChooKeith

On the U-Bahn trains all of the switches work and the computer to enter the destinations works. They also have a PIS on them.
    The ICE train is different but could have the computer work where you could enter destinations. It could have its own PIS as well.
    As I mentioned its also a "Pro Range Train" which is advertised as a little more advanced. Just mainly some atmosphere. The difference is Rapid Transit vs. Long Range. The DB BR 442 Talent does not have all functioning buttons and its kind of like the U-Bahn. Also any train on the S-Bahn as well should have those functions. Its not asking for much really especially since it was done with the U-Bahn which could be a model for these. Not sure? And the price of the U-Bahn is not bad so why not have those functions in these other trains?

For the German trains I like driving the ICE trains of course but also the DB BR442 Talent 2.
    The BR Class like the 101. 189, 423, 425, 426. Other then that I don't drive any others at this point.

Do this as an experiment. Take video of a Scenario of the ICE train for instance and then take video of Scenario using the U-Bahn route. Then compare the two.

I do have a scenario of the ICE 3 407 Cologne-Dusseldorf using Versystem sound board and you can tell the difference using that then not using it at all. I get more people watching the Scenario if I go live with Versystem then not doing it. The point is there is more atmosphere in that. it just seems like there is a selection that have those things and then there are others without. Maybe asking too much at this point. Of course over on the TSW forums they are asking what I have been asking for over here on TS which is displays that trigger and announcements. But always get told it cannot be done so I don't know. Again if you compare the experience with Flight Simulator and Train Simulator its so different and yet could have the same great experiences I think in the atmosphere and functions of the vehicles.

31. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The PIS system on the U-Bahn is a stand alone system unrelated to the game - you could switch it on, set a route and listen to the announcements without starting the game.

AFAIK there is no Destination display on the outside of the ICE units so even if you were able to push buttons to set up where it is going you would not see any difference in the game - it might be why it has not been modelled.

I think you should try a Virtual Railroads Expert Line loco and you will see what the switches do - but you have to drive them with old fashion controls rather than the BR101 and BR189 which is put in to FWD and open the throttle

The question I asked was "What features are on the U-Bahn units that are not modelled on the BR407?"
    The only things I can see are
    - the indicator lights on the outside of the U-Bahn vehicles which they need for street running - does not apply in the BR407
    - the U-Bahn passenger saloon lights can be switched on and off but in the real ICE they are operated by the train Guard so does not apply.

Again you mention Flight Simulator but that is totally different and does not require backwards compatibility with older models and it does not require detailed buildings & scenery apart from when you land at an airport and it does not requires track, overhead wires, signals which TS20 does require

Peter

32. ChooChooKeith

BR407 is a bad example for the U-Bahn comparison I guess because it has different operations but the computer does not work. its static. There are other displays on the BR407 that are just static and don't work and are there for looks. A better example I would think would be any of the trains running on the S-Bahn maybe. The PIS system or informator has the audio but it also changes the display when you stop at least from what I see on the video. I have not bought the U-Bahn route yet but have watched many of the YouTube videos.
    The Flight simulator stuff while its different it has also advanced. Flight simulator use to have just the static ramps that come to the plane and now in X it has the ramps that can be activated and has animation and to me that's progress. People have asked for this. The difference of course is that in flight sim you can fly anywhere in the world. Train sim cannot do that and I don't expect that of course.
    What I like about the Train simulator is the models because of the way they look real and adding maybe just a little more realism inside the CAB might make it a little better experience.
    Where as TS just sits at the same spot its been for what 11 years? No improvements no nothing. Ok 64bit and now the color correction and field of view. My point being its just the same old sim. Why not advance it a little? I Certainly have not seen it. I did see a video that had someone using the informator for another route so maybe buying the U-Bahn will allow the audio at least to be integrated into other routes.

Thank you Peter for the input I will check the other stuff out as well.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  33. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Computer which does not show anything is the EBuLa, Elektronischer Buchfahrplan und Langsamfahrstellen, it shows the driver information about the route he is driving but it needs creating from scratch - VR have one on some of their newer locos
    But you have to pay extra for these features which is why VR locos are as much as a route & stock from DTG
    You have not had Train Simulator for very long and you seem to think because a Loco has not changed then nothing else has.
    And that's because your are only looking at the driving cab and nothing else - like in a Flight Sim.
    Are you bothered what the ground looks like away from an airport in places you are not going to land?

The Scenery, track, buildings signals overhead wires have all improved over the last 11 years
    Compare Koln - Dusseldorf which dates from 2011/2012 has very poor track and overhead compared with Koln - Koblenz.
    On the Dusseldorf line the cross spans don't have insulators, the overhead wire does not run correctly and the track work is very rough in places - compare that with Koln - Koblenz where is a lot more accurate to how it is in real life.

Changes -
    we did not have a PZB system, it just worked like AWS.
    we did not have LZB
    we did not have TVM430 as used on HS1 and French High Speed lines
    we did not have tilting trains where the drivers view also tilted
    we did not have colour light signals that could show more than 7 routes
    and these are a few things

Having played it since Train Simulator 2012 I know it has improved over the years

Peter

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  34. ChooChooKeith

I have had Flight Simulator since the 80's. I have also followed the Train Simulator since Microsoft Train Simulator was out. So while I have not had Train Simulator since the beginning I have followed the evolution of it and it just seems like nothing is developing. ok so you have the PZB and LZB and the other things you mentioned and those are great. I don't have problem with that. But in the since of being a simulator it should simulate the vehicle as close to real life as you can. Flight Simulator does this now. Train Simulator is there almost to me. Just would love to see a little more realism is all.

I say all of that and there is a third party program called Versystem sound board. Love this but wish that there something like that attached to the scenario editor where I have more control in adding the features to my own Scenario.. Maybe that is not possible because this is a third party and the software just works better that way. I am just wishing is all.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  35. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So as a follow up question
    Can you still fly the aircraft you have in Flight Simulator in todays version?

The one feature of TS2020 is the ability to still use trains and routes from TS2012
    In some respects it is the backwards compatibility that holds part of Train Simulator back
    And it's one of the reasons for TSW

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  36. ChooChooKeith

Yes some aircraft can but I have a lot of freeware. So yes I have not had any issues bring planes I have had since the 2002 version which is where it really starting advancing more in the looks of the aircraft and everything. Flight Simulator is just great and has been for years. Multiplayer I would say has been one of the best features of it. Now it does take time to set everything up. TS I can run many routes in a day. Flight simulator has a lot of elements. For instance if you are online with MP. You have to turn in a flight plan along with setting up stuff at the gate. I have a third party Program that brings the food truck and push back vehicles to the plane. neat stuff. really that's why I am always asking on announcements and displays on TS.

TS seems more stable by the way since I have had it so I like that they may have fixed things that were happening when I first go it.
    I wont goto TSW until it improves in some areas. I have two sims anyways to mess with TS2020 and Trainz 2019.

I have a question on the BR 407 if you know this. Are there any other features that could be added to this train that would make it better or bring more Atmosphere to it? Like the computer that allows you to input destinations and then it displays them on the train. I know some of the other trains have this but the real ones are what I am referring to compared to the sim.

Thanks for the chat

37. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what you would add to the BR407 apart from the EbuLa which would make the monitor active and show the upcoming speed restrictions for the route. Most trains have a simple graphic showing the time and a rough route.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EBuLa.jpg
    Virtual Railroads are adding it to their German trains but it's route specific and has to be created

If you were to have a system to have the destination indicator on the BR407 these are only visible in the trains and in the door entrances.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ICE_407_717_Deckenbildschirm.JPG
    I don't think you would see them in passenger view

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  38. ChooChooKeith

Cool I was just wondering if there would be anything else to be added besides the little things mentioned. The link showing the display for the 407 would be great in game and especially if you could change it with a Function button.
    What about the 442 Talent 2 since this is more of a Rapid transit train? The only thing I see on these kids of trains is the display changing "In Game" and not just in the scenario editor. I know there is a Function button that does it but not on all of the rapid transit type trains. I know F8 is suppose to do it and I have had a discussion before on this but I am just asking if the possibility of having the F8 control all of the displays. Is this just because of the 3rd party developer that it cant be done that way?

Thanks

39. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Some locos do have a display that you can change - it would depend if the people making the locos/units have access to the Cab to see what it would show.
    To me having the BR407 or any German loco/unit have a changing display would be pointless.
    I can read some German but not Technical German.
    So you drive you DB train an it gets a simulated fault so you stop but the display tells you the fault in German.
    What then? Stop the game and get Google Translate to work out what it says?

A scenario I have for a German route has the train stopping at a Signal and I get a Voice message from the Signaller telling me what I need to do - but it's in German and I have no idea what he is saying.
    Which is why I have no interest in communications from Signallers and Control centres in the game if I don't know what they are saying.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  40. ChooChooKeith

For the simulator they can translate to English which would not be a problem. For the 407 Displays are not really needed as you said. I was pointing towards the 442 talent 2 which does having changing displays but only in the scenario editor. I would love to have it In Game and from what the key menu says its F8 which does not work at least with that train. The biggest example I can come up with is the U Bahn trains which change through the infomator.

Keith

41. ARuscoe

It WOULD be a problem. No point having authenticity and then ruining it by having foreign languages involved. I would suggest having the screen show the language and a tooltip in the person's preferred language

42. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

This is a German Train but you expect an English Display?

43. ChooChooKeith

No the display is in English anyways on the German train. its says like Munich and Garmisch. I am saying to switch those displays you have to be in the editor instead of in game on the fly.

44. ARuscoe

I'm surprised it says Munich rather than Munchen in real life

45. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

WHICH On Train Display is in English?
    I'm not talking about the map you see in the game or the instructions telling you where to stop
    I'm talking about the Destination Indicators on the train

46. ChooChooKeith

I am sorry it does say Munichen I believe but I know what that is. The train that does that is the 442 Talent 2 and the BR 424 425 426 as well. You have to change the display in the scenario editor though and not in game.

47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you were running TSW you would be able to change the Destination from the Cab
    Watch this you see the driver set up the loco and then he sets the route at 0.35 seconds he raises the Pantograph, sets the Main Circuit Breaker and then clicks on the desk to set the route/Destination

München is the name in German for the city that is known as Munich in English
    As the routes are set in Germany you get German names for places you drive to.
    And if you had a Display in the Cab any info would be in German

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  48. ChooChooKeith

Can that not be done is TS? Cool though I have watched some stuff on TSW but right now just waiting to see what else develops in that simulator. I have trainz 2019 and I have TS2020 and like different things in each. Just need one simulator. That's the other problem I see in train simulators is that there are too many and they all have different features that are great but it needs to be one simulator. Anyways just an opinion because otherwise I can't afford all of that. Maybe when there are more routes for TSW I will move to that sim and an editor which I think is in the works from what I have read.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  49. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

We have been waiting for an Editor in TSW since it came out
    You can run what DTG offers you with each route but nothing else
    I got a couple of routes because of the Sale but I'm sticking with TS2020

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  50. ChooChooKeith

Yeah me too just staying TS2020 and then see what happens from there.
    Have a good Weekend!!