Stereo Panning On "shift+2" Headout View? (might Be An Openal Issue)

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by zzw1983, Sep 21, 2019.

1. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Switching to Shift+2 (headout left/right) view kills all engine sounds until you swivel the camera backwards towards the body of the loco. Engine sounds are way too quiet otherwise. Extremely unrealistic stereo panning. I don't remember it doing this before. Does anyone else experience this or have a fix for it? Extremely annoying to have to use the "2" view to hear the full engine sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Which loco as sounds are done individually to the engine

3. zzw1983

All of them do it for some reason which leads me to believe it is a sound engine issue.

4. Juan

Juan New Member

It happens to me also in cabview. Looking forward I can barely hear the sound of the engine, however if I rotate the view back then it is already heard. It only happens to me in TS 64 bits, in TS 32 bits it works correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zzw1983

Ok then it is an OpenAL issue with the 64bit OpenAL. The 32bit openAL doesn't do this but it doesn't work with Railworks64.exe

• Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Windows issue. Set your descrete audio driver.
    Repost from Steam forums:
    "Audio in games is quiet or different than expected
    Microsoft has received reports that audio in certain games is quieter or different than expected. At the request of some of our audio partners, we implemented a compatibility change that enabled certain games to query support and render multi-channel audio. Due to customer feedback, we are reverting this change as some games and some devices are not rendering multi-channel audio as expected. This may result in games sounding different than customers are used to and may have missing channels.

Affected platforms:

Client: Windows 10, version 1903

Workaround: To mitigate the issue, open settings in the impacted game and disable multi-channel audio, if this option is available. You can also search in the Windows Control Panel for 3rd party audio device control panels and disable Multi-channel audio or Virtual Surround Sound, if these options are available.

Next steps: We are working on a resolution and estimates a solution will be available in late September."

8. zzw1983

Thanks guys. I guess it does have to do with the Windows patch. Ticking "disable all sound effects" in my Realtek settings seems to have fixed it.

9. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Can I just ask what speaker set up you are using?
    I have 5:1 surround and have noticed the two rear speakers behind me have become a lot louder than before, so if I turn the view to look back then the front speakers are louder.
    Just wondering if maybe you are using stereo speakers but have the sound set up for surround?

• Like Like x 1
  10. zzw1983

Using headphones LOL