Brand New With A Few Questions??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by n3hkn, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. n3hkn

n3hkn New Member

I can see that there are a variety of engines and routes. However, is there other traffic running at the same time you are running? Is it random or do you control other stuff, assuming traffic does exist?

Is there a reference that will give me an overview of any control you have over the traffic running on the route you choose to use?

Or, is this just driving a train?

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

If you are making the scenarios - you have complete control over what AI is included and what it does within the limits of the simulations capabilities. Once you run the scenario, you can only control the player's locomotive.

3. Broomwagon

Broomwagon Member

A succinct and accurate answer by LeadCatcher but I'll elaborate a bit. TS is multifaceted - most people play 'scenarios.' These are pre-set up 'missions.' Some made by developers but many countless more available on the workshop made by the community. Some might be as simple as drive a train from A to B picking up passengers at C others a complex scenario moving around the line specifically shunting wagons etc. They do essentially have other 'AI' trains running at the same time to give a realistic feel. Naturally there is a huge difference in quality but once you get up to some of the third party providers like Armstrong Powerhouse I've honestly got to say these give an incredibly realistic experience of what it must be like to actually drive a train, I'll go further to say in my view some of these type of scenarios are amongst the best simulations of any actual real life activity, there is.

For most players that's all they do, some players spending 1000s of hours doing nothing but running scenarios.

But that's scratching the surface. Imagine the biggest and best model railway you can have - but one set up as realistically as possible, an actually line, where you can set it up as you want - locos and wagons anywhere you want, run anyhow, anyway, anywhere, you want - whatever weather you want, whatever time of day, play the same setup for months, years running the line as you like, but you drive the trains 1st person, 3rd person, whatever you like......but then not just one line, just one layout.....any number of layouts.....that's building and running freeroam scenarios.

And then there are the super people who build their own lines....heck many are amazing, better than any of the official DLC and you can run scenarios on them as you choose, or build freeroam setup, mod them as you like and so on.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019