PC Nec Free Roam Scenario-for Every Route.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Sep 28, 2019.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I’m certain I am not the only one who enjoys the free roam scenario for the CSX NEC. It is a lot of fun to be able to choose your locomotive setup and to have a wide variety of wagons to choose from. I know the NEC freight line doesn’t have any signals which probably makes it easier but I don’t see why we couldn’t have this option on every route. For example the new Peninsula corridor route could give us a yard with multiple locomotives and a wide amount of wagons and once we are ready to go on the main line let us call the dispatcher. I would definitely like to see this in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Is that really a free-roam scenario? I'm wondering because it does include a fixed number of tasks and ends when those have been completed. They may be completed in any order, however, and presumably it would be possible to stroll around the yard looking for other things to do -- including trying to take he 2nd seat or even take over the driver's position. Since I haven't tried these things, I cannot say whether they would be possible, but trying might be interesting.

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

There is a scenario on NEC without any objectives.

• Like Like x 2
  4. matthewbguilford

It’s the last NEC scenario, as soon as you start the only objective to complete is to go over to one of the sheds when done for the day. Your encouraged to play around which I really liked and I think if it was an option next to scenarios and the timetable on every route it would really add a lot to the game!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

There has to be a big enough area without signals for this to be possible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I remember a sort of Free Roam on the CSX where you could shunt around the depot attaching and detaching locos but you could only go a limited distance on the mainline.

With mainline sections there does not seem to be a way of setting the route you wish to go
    Unlike a proper Free Roam in TS2020

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, I've driven that -- more than once because it allows for decision making.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Yeah, you can do different things each time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. matthewbguilford

Yes it’s a fun scenario because it offers you choice. Being able to decide how many wagons you want to pull or trying to see if a single unit can handle a lot of weight. Being able to set the switches as you wish. I have a lot of fun just getting a lot of weight and going into a yard with a steep hill and using the dynamic brakes. I really think every route would benefit from having this as an option. Being able to do that on NTP or on MSB would be pretty amazing and add endless playability to all routes! As for the signals being a problem. I would almost take no other trains on the route and all signals green with the choice to change main line switches.

10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would like to see free roam scenarios introduced it is something I do miss from TS1. Especially for the ability to potter about in yards and up and down branch lines (not that we have many of the latter yet).