Valley Lines: Penarth - Cardiff - Treherbert

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Sep 30, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Moin,

so we have seen how "branched routes" effect overall length now, and the reception by the community was, shall we say, mixed. So, with that in mind, maybe one way of saving the (indeed brilliant) idea of having more than one route to get from point A to point B, could be this: Choosing a network of rail lines that isn't overly long too begin with - I assume nobody will blame Dovetail for not making up a few more stations past the actual terminus.

One network to meet these requirements that comes to mind is the Valley Lines - the Cardiff commuter rail, if you will. From a TSW point of view, it would be sort of a hybrid between the ways the LIRR (one central hub with spokes in a various directions) and RRO (A to B via either C and D) do the branching. The selection of lines around Cardiff I picked here, measures slightly over 60 kilometers all inclusive, firmly within the established TSW route lenght spectrum, and yet offers a good amount of different services to play with.

Scenery along the route isn't that bad either, it's Wales after all. Lots of forested, lots of city and suburb, also some bald hills that add a touch of Northern England here and there. But see for yourself:

Another line that could be added would be the one to Barry Island - which would expand the overall length to 70 km (roughly equivalent to RT) and make especially cargo enthusiasts happy.

General

Era: Modern-ish
    Length overall: 40 mi/62 km
    max speed: 75 mph
    # of passenger stations: 34
    Service types: Local, Cargo
    # of tracks: 1-4
    Electrified: OHLE, 3rd Rail (Underground)

Lines included at least partially:

Penarth - Cardiff Central - Treherbert
    Cardiff - Barry
    Cardiff Bay - Coryton
    Cardiff - Fairwater - Radyr
    Rhymney Line (up to Heath)
    Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil Lines (up to Pontypridd)

Suitable vehicles (among others):
    Class 142
    Class 143
    Class 150
    Class 153
    any cargo engine

Maps
    Valley Lines Map.PNG Valley Lines.PNG

Key Locations

Cardiff Central
    [​IMG]

Penarth
    [​IMG]

Cardiff Queen Street
    [​IMG]

Pontypridd
    [​IMG]

Treherbert
    [​IMG]

Further Impressions

Cardiff Bay
    [​IMG]

Cogan
    [​IMG]

Ninian Park
    [​IMG]

Radyr
    [​IMG]

Coryton
    [​IMG]

Treorchy
    [​IMG]

Porth
    [​IMG]

Trehafod
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/99220921@N03/13867932645
    [​IMG]

Cathays
    [​IMG]

Treforest Estate
    [​IMG]

Ystrad Rhondda
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  2. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I think you should just work at DTG :) Very well thought idea and the branch lines in Cardiff would be something special, having a lot of lines in one route thus having different AI traffic and having lots of services to drive. I like it! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. thearkerportian

Awight. Now you made me search in vain for a Funny rating. We even now? :P

Truth be told though, ideas and ambitions aren't everything. Reality would probably catch up with them real fast. And for just ideas, the forum is good enough. More than saying, wouldn't this be a nice route, I can't do after all. I'm no 3D artist or programmer... never made it past creating a few buildings and vehicles for Cities:Skylines.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

That's true, a game isn't all visual stuff as there is also a lot of coding behind it. And the route needs to be modeled properly otherwise people just won't buy it. So yeah it would be hard to work at DTG. But as an idea, this route looks cool :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

For all our pacing and sprinting needs.
    This is a very cool concept, one long line and several short branching lines, so the variety of services is guaranteed.

And looking at the photos, variety of countryside and cityscape. I would go for this in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 3
  6. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

I like very much this idea... all the posibilities here are awsome, i like the one track branch, i like the fact you can go to Treherbert and its the last station, same with Penarth; Also perfect route for bringing us the 142 143 etc

7. thearkerportian

In an absolute dream scenario, where we get this plus the Barry Island branch, we'd have 5 terminal stations: Treherbert, Coryton, Cardiff Bay, Penarth, and Barry Island. Each more or less unique in character.

• Like Like x 1