PC Ryzen For Train Sim World

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Reeon1999, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

Hey everyone, I'm looking into my upgrading my ageing I3-6100 (it's the bottleneck in most of my games now) with Ryzen since with it's current pricing it's very tempting. Ryzen 1600 for £100, 2600 for £120 and Ryzen 3600 for £190. I was wondering if anyone has any of these and could let me know how it performs. Right now it seems as far as price to performance goes AMD is the way to go but I'd like to see how other people get on with it first.

2. pavig

pavig New Member

Got a Ryzen 5 2600X running on an x470 motherboard. Seems pretty solid for TSW and never run into problems with it. Any bottlenecks in the system which cause the occasional dropped frame seem to be elsewhere. If you're building a ryzen system make sure the memory you use is good and fast and supported by your motherboard. AMD systems seem to punch above their weight if the memory is set up right.

3. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking at a B450 motherboard and the 2600x since they'd cost less than £200 which seems great. I was also going to get DDR4 3200mhz CL16 since that's the best value according to reviews. I was just curious how people got on in TSW because from what I see from other people TSW seems like a very CPU heavy game.

4. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Well-Known Member

I probably will buy a Ryzen 3700x soon, which will be used on my Asus B350 Motherboard. I currently have 16GB 3000Mhz Ram. I kinda hope it will boost my FPS especially at bigger stations.

Other Specs:
    GPU: GTX1070
    CPU: Ryzen 1600x
    Ram: Mentioned above
    Motherboard: Asus B350f Gaming
    Disk: 256GB Samsung m.2 SSD

To the 1600x: It performs well on some/most occasions. But it gets laggy once there are more than 5 tracks/once you approach a big station (about 30/39 FPS at f.e Aschaffenburg) and the FPS drop under 50/45 once another train passes. If i were you i'd go with atleast the 2600 as anything below that wont be enjoyable in the future.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  5. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Ryzen 3600 is best price to performance right now, although I would go for a 3700X for future proof. If you have unlimited money though, I'd just hold off until 3950X. TSW is poorly optimized so those frame drops will happen with any CPU when passing traffic.

6. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

At bigger stations with more trains and passengers, CPU performance comes into play a LOT more than GPU performance. Specifically single-threaded performance. With Ryzen, higher memory speeds will boost the frequency of the Infinity Fabric and therefore improve FPS in CPU-intensive situations.

Do your research on Ryzen and memory speeds, specifically where the Infinity Fabric is concerned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

I would like a Ryzen 3700x, 3800x or 3900x next year since I want to try and do more modelling. I tried creating a route and making assets but my render times were ridiculously slow and put me off. My RX570 had the option to the rendering but was just as bad. But I've realised in big stations seem to rely more on CPU because my GPU isn't doing much and my low frames are caused (unsurprisingly) by the dual core processor. Unfortunately money is a factor and the 2600x for £130 with many B450 motherboards costing less than £100 is a great option for me for now to get a quick and cheap replacement for my current I3-6100. Also, isn't the 3950X going to cost around £600 I last heard? I don't know if it's worth it unless you have a specific use case for that many cores and threads. Although it's still an awesome CPU for the price in my opinion.

8. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

I got the modest AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor it plays well settings all on high and a couple on ultra... plays between 38 - 60fps,
    somehow the snow scenes drop it to 30 on some senarios.. Ignore Ryzen temp the software is wrong say Ryzen.. and recommend their tester Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  9. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

How's performance in big stations and yards such as those in Hagen and TVL? That's my problem right now. Most of the time I can get above 45fps/50fps on ultra with the i3 and rx570, with some quieter places surprisingly reaching 60 but those bigger start/end of route stations cause my frame rate to collapse down to 15fps.

11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Most big yards and stations with (passenger) trains in it cause FPS to tank regardless of your specs.

The main culprit is because NPC’s do not de-spawn from inside trains in yards. So you’ve got hundreds of NPC’s in one confined space so it’s no surprise FPS drop drastically.

DTG say NPC’s are ‘supposed’ to de-spawn on empty stock trains/train going to the depot after a service, however the code for this isn’t working as intended.

12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I can't recall who first provided the following advice, but I'll do my best to summarize it accurately: rather than concentrate on FPS or other measurement systems, leave F3 alone and ask your self whether you're satisfied with the visual performance of TSW. Of course, you may have trouble doing this with so many forum members continually boasting about their expensive computers' phenomenal performances, but try to relax and concentrate on driving, riding, walking, or whatever else you are doing at the moment. Then spend your money on something else.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I dont often agree with Last train but on this I do 100%. Forums can be super helpful and fun places to share ideas but theyll also point out issues youd never have spotted yourself that youll then never be able to unsee from that point on. Theres a lot in what he says in his post above about just enjoying yourself, especially if like me you can remember the Commodore 64, Sega Master System etc.. part of the problem is yhat it can always be better and like you Im planning my next build. Single core speed versus multicore galore is the big trade off and the specific games you play will likely dictate your processor choice based on that. In the meantime I Reshade (google it) my games and just enjoy :)

14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Good points, Sunscreen. (Deserved more than just a check-mark.)

15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Youre too kind buddy. Likewise :)