PC Will You Be Buying Rhein-ruhr Osten: Hagen – Wuppertal?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 37114, Sep 25, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, it looks great

42.8%
  2. I would if it was an extension to RSN

36.2%
  3. No, it's far too short a route

21.1%
  1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

You can be 99.9% sure that the teaser images are enhanced in some sort of way, be it the lighting or the skybox (clouds).

2. solon

solon Active Member

These are the good terms, the road is ridiculously short for lot of players. It is inconceivable that it is not an extension.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hightower

hightower Guest

I completely agree. I’ll hang off and see what the price is...if it’s £24.99 then it’s a no from me.

After Peninsula Corridor (which was at that same price - a much longer route with some really very good new assets) this is, to all intents and purposes, an extension - and a short one at that. A lot of the assets will end up being reused from MSB and RSN.

Couple that with the distance and it simply doesn’t justify £24.99 in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

In fairness, the route is a split route. Short route for one continous run, yes. But on offer though are two different routes on the one dlc. Abliet, both are short.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shorti

shorti New Member

But the split part has only a lenght of around 14 km, by a total lenght between Wuppertal and Hagen of around 28 km.

Its ridiculous. :|

• Like Like x 4
  6. londonmidland

The argument of it having a split route to gain the extra miles doesn’t make much difference to the player whilst driving.

You’re still driving from A to B on a ridiculous short route before having to change ends and drive back again, perhaps going back via the other route.

It’s a short route. There are no long drives. There’s really no point sugarcoating it.

• Like Like x 6
  7. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

I am wondering if we will ever seen some sort of extension to an already existing route on TSW. In my opinion, this route would make more sense if you were able to drive further till Dusseldorf Hbf or Mönchengladbach, for example. ( The complete S8 line ).

• Like Like x 1
  8. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

There is probably nothing stopping them from just making one big map that has RSN and RRO combined. They could make it so that it is only available to customers that have both of those dlc purchased
    As far as i remember, there was a thread where a DTG staff explained the reasons for no extensions for now. TSW maps get cooked and packaged before we get them as downloadable content and that makes it difficult. But i personally don't understand why we that have for example bought RSN and RRO cannot just get a bigger map that is basicly just RSN and RRO glued together as one big map. If anyone has knowledge about this topic, please share it with us. I am really interested to hear :). Cheers

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I somehow do not see how both routes together would benefit the gameplay in any way, since the biggest issue I see from previous comments is the short distance drives.

Correct me if I am wrong, but probably besides freight services, there's probably no passenger trains which go from Finnentrop via Hagen towards Wuppertal or vice versa. There are, however, lots of trains passing via Hagen if they come from Dortmund, but that's another route which we do not have anyway.

But essentially, RSN is also an already cooked and packaged route, so since DTG seems to not be able to do route extensions as you mention, then I guess that's also another reason for which RSN is not "glued" together with RRO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

It would add to the immersion, realism and overall experience. It would be consistent with the style of open-world play that TSW represents when it allows you to actually be a character that can move from train to train. The flexibility of Timetable mode is a really great feature in my mind and this would just add to it. Obviously it's a nice-to-have rather than an essential feature.

At the very least, the AI should show both kinds of traffic on contiguous routes. LIRR should have AI Amtrak & CSX trains and vice versa. The relevant tracks at Hagen should show RRO traffic in RSN. If that can't happen ever, then I would be very disappointed. If it's on the long list of future features, then I can be patient. (And, if it can't ever happen then they have made some really odd choices in route development. Why else would they do Penn Station and Hagen twice each when there are thousands of other options out there?)

• Like Like x 3
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Evidence of this?????????????

• Like Like x 1
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

You stand corrected, on the basis of your use of the word "probably", which indicates that you really don't know.

13. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Look at the promo screenshots. Look at TSW. Still not seeing evidence? Consider buying spectacles.

Well I know, and I've stated how it is at least two or three times, and BRD is spot on.
    In case you need evidence: https://www.vrr.de/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/fahrplan_und_mobilitaet/regionalverkehrsplan_2019.pdf

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. londonmidland

LastTrainToClarksville It seems like you’re against everyone for no apparent reason and like to create arguments, as well as wind people up for the fun of it.

You’re either so unbelievably oblivious of things, or just doing it because you have nothing better to do.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

That's indeed a good point, though.

However, there's then a few things to have into consideration:

- Most likely what might happen is that you'll get the trains from RRO into RSN's route to have AI traffic around the Hagen area. And of course the opposite as well.

- I very much believe that DTG did not need to rebuild Hagen for RRO. They have the original content / route design, so they kinda already did have some sort of template. But then again, I do not know if this is true or not.

- I also believe that routes are rather short to maintain a reasonable amount of weight ( disk space and performance-wise ) for the platforms TSW is made for ( PC and consoles ). By joining the routes together, you'll make the packages heavier and thus might also causing longer loading times, if not further problems. However, I also believe that the shorter routes are just a way for DTG to show people TSW's possibilities and give us a rather good amount of content for future use ( assets and such ). I do hope that we will be able to have longer routes in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

In his defense... you did say teaser image... which might confuse people to this... https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/just-a-regular-day-at-hagen-hbf.18492/#post-96932 . In which case, maybe light edits (colour correction)

Other "promotional images" such as this one are most definitely edited. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...3_10156500222088091_9186674290089525248_o.jpg

Anyway, nice to see DTG still active at the DLC game... but I'm just not tickled by this outing for various reasons,

- Not my particular preference in route location (just an opinion folks, we all have one :P)
    - Short route
    - Would be more compelling if this was an extension to RSN
    - More interested in mordern UK routes
    - Would rather wait and see if the editor brings out longer routes/route innovation to the sim.

Although quite clearly from the poll, I'm somewhat in the minority. So great to see people interested in different routes. :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

It looks like a fantastic I currently own RSN and MSB at the moment but I don't think I'll get it straight after release as it is a short route and I'm not willing to pay £25 for a route that's the shortest out of all the routes unless the price is right

18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The chances are if it is available for pre-order then you won't have to pay £24.99 anyway if you pre-order it, that is if it is £24.99.

Personally I am not bothered by short routes, for me it is how immersive the routes are. Some of my favourite TSW routes are the short ones.

• Like Like x 3
  19. hightower

hightower Guest

Which is great, for you. I feel differently and prefer the longer routes. My point re price is that it has to be justifiable & with the greatest will in the world, if they charge £24.99 for this then they’re overcharging - by their own precedent.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thearkerportian

Length plays a role in immersion. (That's what she said) It's Train Sim World, not Tram Sim World. Part of being a train driver is staying focused, and not just for 20 minutes at a time.

• Like Like x 4
  21. solon

solon Active Member

The survey shows that more than half of the players will not buy the DLC if it's a separate line and too short. I think DTG is not stupid, and they will make an extension. What would be great.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I doubt it, Solon. They've said that they're trying something new with this one so I think it will be a separate DLC, but with denser content. The article says, "S8 Line between Hagen Hbf and Wuppertal Steinbeck, which weaves its way through city outskirts and rural landscapes serving 14 intermediate stations en-route." - that's a 16 stop route, which even if it's short in distance, is going to keep you busy (for plenty more than 20 minutes), and hopefully with a varied, changing landscape. Add to that the separate freight route and whatever yards are included for that, I think it will be a good DLC.

Having said all of that, if it's £24, that for me is pretty steep for an add-on, so I'll probably pick up RSN and the 155 if they're in a sale any time soon, and maybe get this when it's reduced further down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  23. thearkerportian

20 minutes at a time ;). Well, 25 technically. That's how long a regional needs from Hagen to Wuppertal, for the S-Bahn it's about 35. Varied and changing landscape? Not really, either, it just picks up where RSN left off, albeit more urbanized and industrialized. Most of the time you'll be driving in cut-ins and along hills and rocks. The point where the landscape does indeed begin to change quite a lot is where DTG cut the route past Wuppertal. Here we would have gotten some more open landscape, some viaducts, massive industry, and past Vohwinkel some really nice and wide vistas. But no... not going to happen.

Hagen Hbf: 0:21, Wuppertal Hbf: 0:42, so indeed almost bang on 20 minutes for freight trains.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

I like the fact that it isn't all industry, but also quite a bit of trees and forest in-between. However indeed more industry than RSN. Actually, this video changed my mind a bit and I will buy it, regardless if it is an extension or a separate route. Maybe if the editor is out it might be possible to join them physically together, but I doubt that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. thearkerportian

I'll make it dependent on reviews and such. We don't know a whole lot about how well the 422 is made etc. If what we get, little as it is, is made well enough, maybe I'll pick it up on sale one day. It is a pretty route they've chosen here after all, no doubt about that.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Oh. Assumed it would take longer than that! Seems like a good turnaround to do 16 stations in 35 minutes - sounds like that timetable would be a challenge to stick to.

20 minute freight blast might be handy for a quick play if you're on a deadline!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. BjornGroen02NL

We have seen the model on the outside which, in my opinion, looks great. Also DTG doesn't fail to make good-looking interiors as well. The thing where I'm concerned about though, is the sound. Some engines in this game sound way better than others do. I hope the 422 gets some proper sound recordings for it. (We all know pretty sure that the 185.5 sounds will be recycled from the other 185's, since it is apart from some little adjustments the same engine)

• Like Like x 1
  28. BjornGroen02NL

I guess that will be one of the best points about this route and honestly, the timetable is one of the things I love about this game ;)

29. thearkerportian

S8.PNG
    37 minutes, precisely..

• Like Like x 1
  30. BjornGroen02NL

37 minutes isn't bad, given that driving RSN takes 55-65 minutes with a passenger train depending on the service. Then with this route, you will be on kinda the same location but with a different train and a different direction... Must say 37 minutes sounds nice.
    EDIT: maybe I must think before I write something down as sometimes my sentences don't make sense at all XD

• Like Like x 1
  31. thearkerportian

If we even get a timetable. Let's hope they don't to as they did it on MSB, where there just aren't times to stick to. That's another thing I'll wait to see before I buy. Something tells me though we won't get them for the regionals, seeing how they are handled as a gimmick rather than a fully fledged feature.

• Like Like x 1
  32. BjornGroen02NL

not sure if these shots have been shown before, but they looks very promising:

http://imgur.com/a/9Wp9QBN

They were vertical shots so sorry about that.

33. thearkerportian

Wuppertal-Langerfeld station, clearly recognizable. Modeling, be it scenery or vehicles, DTG know how to do. Oh boy, do they know how to do it. I can only say it again and again. And I probably should if I don't want to be seen as a hater, given how much I complain about other things they do! :D

• Like Like x 1
  34. BjornGroen02NL

Agreed! there is one thing that DTG never seem to fail in and that is modelling ;) apart from some empty hills, but yeah I forget that given the quality of their stations

35. thearkerportian

Well it's sort of natural. That's the part you see before you bought the DLC, that's what sells it or fails to do so. Screenshots. Graphics. In the Steam store and wherever else. That's where you make your first impression.

• Like Like x 1
  36. BjornGroen02NL

and when you actually play it: bugs, awful sound, glitches, terrain looks unfinished at some parts...

it's like clickbait, but in a game XD

37. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

I must admit, the sounds is what I am mainly afraid of. I'm still sad for the Taurus...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. thearkerportian

Exactly. Hence the waiting for reviews and Let's Plays. You can be diappointed by the same person (or company in this case) only once. If it happens again, it's your own fault.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think the reason for no times on MSB is because the physics of the 143 is not Ge same as the 146, so you can’t make the schedule on time.

• Like Like x 1
  40. thearkerportian

I've heard that too. But then, maybe they shouldn't have made the two interchangable? They are just two very different locomotives, including performance.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Looking at the price, £22.49 launch offer, this is definitely one to buy in a sale with a rather bigger discount than 10%.

• Like Like x 6
  42. thearkerportian

So it remains a no. Pity actually, that 422 was something I've been looking forward to.. but not under these circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  43. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

Yeah, I will be waiting for the first reviews and such to evaluate if I should get it ASAP or wait for a discount.

44. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

This brings me back to the whole UE4 cooking process which means you can’t add on to an existing route. Which if you all recall this was mentioned in the editor stream, so if this is or was supposed to be an extension, they’ve taken the (difficult) decision to make it a new route. I am so far more impressed with Microsoft / Asobo Studios Impending flight simulator, emphasis on Simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  45. hightower

hightower Guest

Yep. £25 is a hard no for me.

Certainly until it’s been reviewed and I know the quality is enough to justify the price premium.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2019
  46. thearkerportian

It will be interesting to see how long they'll be able to keep that price up.

• Like Like x 2
  47. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

Except they have the uncooked route, so they would just use that. It doesn't seem like that would be the specific technical limitation (if there is one).

One thing I've wondered is if the nomenclature of "route extension" is a harder sell for a lot of people than a whole route on its own. If you really call it an extension to RSN then you are limiting your sales to people that bought and liked the original. You probably also need to set a lower price point.

I would hope that it could sold as its own thing and that owners of the current DLC would enjoy the nice bonus of an overlapping seamless timetable mode. But it's certainly possible that this sort of thing is far too much work to please 37% of the people that responded to this poll.

• Like Like x 1
  48. LastTrainToClarksville

Boo-hoo, boo-hoo. I've bought it and delivery will come soon. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  49. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Good for you. That's your money wasted, not mine. ;)

• Like Like x 8
  50. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Same here just bought mine and eagerly awaiting Oct 10 for it to install.

• Like Like x 1