Using Gpu To Load Scenarios?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShadowSteel18, Oct 3, 2019.

1. ShadowSteel18

ShadowSteel18 Member

So I have been working on a scenario for the Wasatch Grade for a week now and now I've started to hit what I like to call a Hard Limit when it comes to the the AI Traffic. I first I thought that something had been corrupted. However after I removed one of the AI Trains that was lead by Two FEF-3s, it quickly became apparent that I was hitting a wall that I wasn't aware of.
    20191002005550_1.jpg
    The FEF-3 by Smokebox Simulations is a very well made and detailed model, but it's also one of the most stressful on my PC. It turns out that I can only have three of these locomotive in the scenario before I hit this "Wall". The reason I know that this is a GPU issue is because I get the exact same type of crash when playing a Minecraft Mod called Immersive Railroading, and looking back on it I've gotten this crasha few times before with Railworks.

I've put so much effort into this scenario that scrapping it now would be devastating. Especially when I spent half of my time trying to make the intro cinematic. And with it going up on the workshop it will most likely be one of the few on the Wasatch that is this well detailed. Everything from the Traffic to daily operations, even radio chatter is in this scenario. This may be a workshop scenario but I put my heart and sole into it and I don't want to lose it.
    20191002074746_1.jpg
    Naturally this brings me to this one question. I know for a fact that most Simulators, especially Rail Sims, can be very hard on a PC. However one would assume that when loading a scenario the game would use both GPU and RAM. So if you reach limit of what the GPU can do then the RAM should for the most part pick up what's left. Now of course I have no idea whether or not this is actually the case or if it's just a fantasy. Either way it certainly seems like the crashes I've been getting have all come down to the GPU rather than RAM. So my question is Does Railworks primarily use GPU to load textures and models or does it use a combination of both RAM and GPU?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you running it in 32bit or 64bit

3. ShadowSteel18

ShadowSteel18 Member

I never run the 32 Bit anymore.