PC Line Speeds

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 749006, Oct 4, 2019.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How are you supposed to know the line speed on the route you are driving?

I was running a 66 on the GWR route from Acton to Reading and the line speed at Slough drops from 75 to 60 thru the Down Relief Platform with no advance warning in the HUD until you are travelling over it and speeding.

Peter

2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

There is a setting which will tell you the upcoming speed limit.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. GaiusGracchus

GaiusGracchus Member

You can cycle through active HUD speed and signal indicators with ctrl-1, ctrl-2, ctrl-3. Sometimes signal warnings cover upcoming limit indicators.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Upcoming Speed display only shows the Next Speed
    if there is another a short distance after it there is only a short time to react.

5. hightower

hightower Guest

I think then it comes down to knowing the route. I’d like to see, in addition to the next speed limit, an option to have the current line speed displayed in the HUD.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you have the Speedo on the Current Max speed is show as a Red mark

Peter

7. hightower

hightower Guest

Yeah, I prefer not to have that HUD up if I can.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you don't have some form of display on the screen how do you know the next speed restriction?
    "I don't want the HUD showing speed but I want all the other bits showing Next Speed, Next Signal, Next stop"?

9. hightower

hightower Guest

Either the speed limit signs (UK) or the speed limit / signal combinations for both the US & Germany.

It’s easy to forget what the current limit is so having the option of adding current speed limit to the top right HUD would be good. For me at least!

10. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Every speed limit sign has a warning sign in front of it (usually a triangle with speed written in it).

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not on UK Rails
    If the (PSR) Line Speed changes more than I think 30% then an Advanced Warning Board is provided but for a 75 to 60 it's only at the Start of the PSR
    If you are doing 75 and the Speed drops to 60 without any advanced warning and is a very short space you need to be doing less than 75 at that board.

Peter

12. hightower

hightower Guest

I see what you’re asking now. Well, it’s route knowledge. To the best of my knowledge that’s what the guys and girls in the UK (at least) spend the majority of their training on.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Having had 28 years in the UK on the Train Crew side, Guard then Driver, I understand how it is done in real life but it does not help in the game as you are expected to drive the route without learning it.

Peter

14. hightower

hightower Guest

Hmmm, this is a very odd thread. I’ve been trying to help and answer your fairly open-ended questions. Now it turns out you’ve worked on the trains so I’m more confused than ever. Why are you asking questions to which you already know the answer?

The obvious solution to your issue is learn the route(s) then.

If you don’t want to, or don’t have time, then use the HUD. It’s that simple.

15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

From the original post..
    "How are you supposed to know the line speed on the route you are driving?

I was running a 66 on the GWR route from Acton to Reading and the line speed at Slough drops from 75 to 60 thru the Down Relief Platform with no advance warning in the HUD"

So the HUD is not much use in figuring out the line speed in this specific instance if changes to the line speed are not in the hud. It is not the only example of this in GWE.
    Solution- I stuck to mostly GWE and ended up route learning with pen and paper for noting trigger landmarks for speed changes. The signals dont function correctly for divergence either so thats another curveball. I play with hud totally off so the external features kind of need to be correct otherwise the sim-ness of it starts to fall away a bit. With the Hud off its not possible to know if you are speeding either until the end of the session, which is an additional consideration.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Would love to see the flashing yellows in an update.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I know it is a bit of a cheat....but the rolling line view showing all the upcoming line speed changes which TSxx has is great. I'd love to see something like that implemented in TSW, but I don't think it will come officially if it does, we'll have to wait for the mods.

• Like Like x 2
  18. hightower

hightower Guest

Changes to line speed are in the HUD though.

As we all know, current line speed is in the bottom right overlay, whilst next speed is in the top right. On all UK routes there must only be 3 or 4 examples of a further drop in speed immediately after a speed restriction, which take no time at all to learn.

Your method of noting the limits & trigger landmarks is the obvious thing to do, I’ve done it myself on NTP.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you drive the scenario that runs from Paddington to Slough as you approach the HUD tells you the speed thru the crossing is 30mph.
    As you go thru the crossing at 30 it says the speed is 15 at the end of the crossing.

Peter

20. hightower

hightower Guest

Well, sadly there are some bugs in TSW. Clearly that’s one of them.

You know that’s the case now, so next time no doubt you’ll do 15mph through that particular crossing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019