Searchlight Simulations

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by treid09, Oct 7, 2019.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hello, I am starting this thread to see how many people would like to have Searchlight Simulations' locomotives on Steam as official DLC. Though I don't have any of their products, I am really impressed by the quality of their layered sounds. They have two locomotives, an SD40-2 and an AC4400CW. The SD40-2 was made in conjunction with Jointed Rail, and was their first third-party DLC for Dovetail's Train Simulator. Searchlight's SD40-2 would fit perfectly into the Pro series of TS 2020 add-ons because there are many steps to getting it started and running it than the other ones currently available. Their real treasure is their Canadian Pacific AC4400CW. I can't adequately describe how incredible it is, so I have included links to the locomotives on their site and videos on Youtube. This engine would again be a perfect fit as a Pro locomotive for TS 2020. Plus, we only have one Canadian Pacific locomotive in TS 2020, so this engine would be perfect for Canadian Mountain Passes. I have already asked Searchlight Simulations if they would consider selling their products on Steam and they kindly replied saying that they have considered putting the AC4400CW up on there. I hope that if we get enough community support for Searchlight Simulations and request that the AC4400CW sells on Steam, we get this fantastic group coming to Dovetail Games. God bless!
    https://www.store.searchlight-simulations.com/ac4400-cp-golden-beaver
    https://www.store.searchlight-simulations.com/jr-sd40-2-cr

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I would love to see Searchlight Simulations put these products on steam as well, I watched the live launch of the CP AC4400CW and was blown away by the realistic TSW like features. Everything in the loco is functional the fronts open the computers works work. 100% agree please Searchlight Simulations add your product to steam.

• Like Like x 2
  3. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks Michael. Do you have the AC44 and if so, how is it?

4. Michael Newbury

I do not have the searchlight ones I have what comes with the Canadian Mountain Passes, but after seeing the realistic of the engine and there are are CP liverys I would like to get them. But I would like them to be available on steam. The one thing that impressed me was what Searchlight Simulations did by putting a sticker in the cab that honours the three crew members who tragically lost their lives outside of Field.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Searchlight Simulations have said this on their Facebook page before, but the reason why none of their products are on Steam is that they wouldn't make as much money. By selling it through Steam, Steam takes 30%, DTG takes I think 40%, and the actual developer gets the other 30%. DTG would also price the AC4400 at their normal £11.99/$19.99/€14.99, which would give SS even less money. A ton of other devs like Armstrong Powerhouse (UK), virtualRailroads (DE), and TrainTeamBerlin (DE) don't bring their products to Steam either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. treid09

treid09 Guest

I would like to get them too, but just like you, I want to get them from Steam because I don't want buy unofficial DLC. The sticker impressed me as well. I thought that was a very nice addition. I remember reading the news story about that accident soon after it happened on Trains Magazine. God be with the families. Truly tragic.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. treid09

treid09 Guest

You're right, I knew that SS would not get all profits, but I didn't know it was that bad. I guess the only main incentive would be to gain traffic on their website by people seeing their product. Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  8. treid09

treid09 Guest

An update: I caved and bought the SD40N (Union Pacific) and the 645E3 Turbo and GEVO-12 enhancements and I love them. I said that I would never install unofficial content, but I did, and I am glad. These products are wonderful and I highly suggest anyone purchase them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. elyonpc

elyonpc Member

We need to support Searchlight Simulations and hope that as they become profitable they will continue to produce more content. I have done my part and bought all their locomotives.

• Like Like x 4
  10. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

If SS put only a couple of their products on Steam, it would probably encourage buyers to browse the other products on their website.

• Like Like x 1
  11. treid09

treid09 Guest

It sure would!

• Like Like x 1
  12. treid09

treid09 Guest

Yes we do!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michael Newbury

I agree

14. treid09

treid09 Guest

For everyone like me who prefers to have official dlc only, but longs for the Searchlight stuff, I am about to make your day. Searchlight Simulations has confirmed that the CP AC4400CW will come to the Steam and Dovetail Games stores!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Michael Newbury

That is awesome I have been waiting to hear news like that cant wait hopefully not too long.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget that a lot of third party devs have worked directly with DTG or do have a small showing on Steam, but then have much larger showings on their own websites (thinking JustTrains and AP as two good examples) so rather than "unofficial" I tend to think "complementary".
    One thing that the third parties do BETTER than DTG is update their DLC. Just recently I've had a couple of updated from JT for various classes... DTG don't do a lot of that...

• Like Like x 3
  17. treid09

treid09 Guest

That is exactly how I like to think of it. I gave their stuff a try and really liked it. DTG does support third-party DLC creators, something that I appreciate.
    You're exactly correct, SS is working on a new update for their SD40-2's, and they are putting a lot of work into it. They recently put a video up of showing them recording a unsilenced 645E3 for the SD's and they are also changing the physics to supposedly be the most realistic ones for North American dlc to date.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2019
  18. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Good news indeed. I prefer to buy content through Steam just for the simplicity, but I can understand the reason they would want to avoid it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Michael Newbury

I am the same way I prefer all my downloads to be threw Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  20. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

There are several products from both Armstrong Powerhouse and virtualRailroads on Steam

• Like Like x 1