Too Slow Or Too Long To Start Up The Program

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Oct 6, 2019.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I had a problem yesterday and have to run through " VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAMES FILES... in LOCAL FILES under Stream. got 2942 files to fix the problem. It took me a while to wait for them to get that done last night. When this part was done and I decided to see if I can run the program of Train Simulator 2020 in 64X. Also took longer than I expected is v 68.2c Synchronising with Steam Workshop and I decided to wait for this part but took long time to get that done. Anyway it's done then with the last part -- v68.2c Updating Scenario Database not long and it's okay to wait for few minutes. Then I can run the simulator now and pick the route and scenario but took a good while before loading the route and scenario. That part I decided to cancel and this morning I unsubscribed the workshop content and scenario to see if that is working. It's working but very slow to start up the simulator. What I did before got the problem with this from yesterday and I was going to change the exe file of Railworks but decided not to because I was not sure how do to this just with 64X to run the simulator? What I did is to rename the exe file of Railworks (32X) to Railworks32.orig then go ahead to do with Railworks64X but after reading the steps by steps and I was not sure what to do with this. So I went back to change from Railworks32X.orig to Railworks32X. Then I got the problem with my program of Train Simulator 2020. Right now everything look good but very slow or too long to startup the program of Train Simulator 2020 and need something to get this with a quick startup not long time to wait before go on to run the simulator.

Thank you,

John

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

With a lot of Workshop Scenarios it will take longer each time you start.
    If it is one you like go in to Build and Copy the Scenario you have downloaded
    You can then Unsubscribe from that Scenario and the copy will stay

Not sure why you think changing filenames is the way to go?
    In you Railworks folder is RailWorks64.exe - Right Click>Create Shortcut and place that on your Desktop
    I have both 32bit and 64bit shortcuts on my desktop depending on what I need to start

Peter

3. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you Peter for your reply and yes I did unsubscribed several Workshop Scenarios and kept 3. And now the bad news is that I am going to reinstall the program of Train Simulator 2020. I already made a backup copy of Train Simulator 2020 onto a USB flash drive over 203 GB. Good thing that I got the 256 GB USB flash drive on sale for half price. Now the program of Train Simulator 2020 is not in the hard drive but still in Steam to reinstall. I will reinstall sometime this week.

John

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why did you back Everything up?
    When you reinstall off Steam it will replace all those files you have just saved on to the Flash Drive.
    So if you do a Back - Up
    Copy your Assets folder, which has all your buildings, locos, track etc - everything you see on the screen.
    And you need to back up your Content folder which has all your Routes and Scenarios.

I have not reinstalled Train Simulator in a very long time and I think you are over complicating the situation by doing so.
    It is sort of like "Microsoft Word does not work for some things - I will reinstall everything on the computer"

Peter

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I had an issue a few weeks ago where I had no sky on any route. I contacted DTG, did the usual faff with the DXdiag, updating, backdating GPU drivers etc etc. Nothing
    Deleted and reloaded the game, nothing
    Removed every shred I could find of TS2020 and associated programs and reloaded the most basic install I could find
    Nothing

Ended up reloading windows and it now works

As an addition to this, I have quite a lot of third party stuff to get scenario packs to work so I have a lot of assets and routes in my install

6. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you to you, ARuscoe and I was wondering if something with the Windows 10 Pro Update. I will reinstall the Train Simulator 2020 in a few minutes and will take about 8 hours and 50 minutes to complete the reinstallation of this program. Wow no fun. I hope with this reinstallation and will work with Windows 10 Pro 64X. Will let anyone here know about this tomorrow sometime.

John

7. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

OK and thought to let you know now. I did Create Shortcut from the folder of Railworks and one is RailWorks and other is RailWorks64. And I see both shortcuts are showing on desktop so I decided to go ahead and click " RailWorks64 " but ask me to go " Please login to Steam " Can I go directly to RailWorks64 without asking me to login to Steam. I rather bypass Steam and just click RailWorks64 then run on Train Simulator 2020. Please let me know how to correct this.

Thank you,

John

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Steam is used for license control and updating so you need to have a connection to steam before you can run railworks, but you don't have to start the steam client program to then run the game
    So long as the bootstrapper (the steam logo down by the clock) is running then you can use an icon on your desktop to start the game. This is what I do

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No - it is part of the process
    Unless you are trying to put illegal or copied content there is no reason to do this.
    You do not have to be online to run the game
    Start the Steam Client - Click on Steam > Go Offline

Peter

10. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you for your replies. Understood

John