Xbox One X (greatness)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by zane88, Oct 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Just picked up an X the other day and i am one happy customer.

This is NOT a review of the xbox one x, there are plenty a sources to go to for how good it is and if it's right for you. This rather , is a review on how TSW performs on the X.

As some of you guys already know, some people like myself and others have been begging DTG to release a patch for xbox one x users to enjoy. TSW would be a perfect candidate for such an upgrade. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be much of a priority for dtg right now.:(
    However depressing, all is not lost.

As some know already, the xbox one x not only enhances specific games with a patch, but it provides a "Passive" boost to ALL games including dynamic resolution (not to be confused with High Dynamic Range) on some select titles.
    I havnt had my x for very long, days actually, but i was always hopeful TSW would see a boost in performance from "base" xbox.

BOY WAS I RIGHT!!:cool:

You see, while TSW is "not" X Enhanced it does benefit from the extra power. This is something that nobody on the forum has been able to verify. (for some reason):|

First, resolution. When TSW really struggles you will actually see a drop in resolution. It has gotten much much better with patches from dovetail.
    On the X, there no drops.
    ... None.

Next, and this is the big one - FRAMES PERRR SECOND

Wow!! what a difference a few frames can make lol. Dont get me wrong, im not seeing 60 fps here or anything.

You see the X helps TSW maintain a more stable and slightly higher frame rate than the base xbox.
    And i stress the word "slightly". But What a difference. You have to see it to believe it! Trains coming from the opposite direction no longer cause the game to have a seizure,no matter how long they are. Large open stations no longer cripple game performance. Looking around the cab no longer feels like im moving thru mud or in slow motion. The free camera moves smoothly and nicely. Trains passing by while using the stationary camera especially at high speeds are an absolute joy to watch, Zooming in and out on the map no longer takes FIVE MINUTES.
    Weather has little to NO impact on framerate and smoothness.
    And lastly, menu navigation is lightning fast and fluid along with load times. In that respect, it feels like a whole other game.

Im sure i missed a couple of things, but hey fellow X users, feel free to add anything you notice, including anything negative you find.

Anyway, until I get my gaming pc, which will be a "long time" from now, I will be enjoying TSW that much more!! Cheers!;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I also play on Xbox One X but I disagree with you in some cases. Performance is definitely better than on base Xbox One but it's still not smooth and is regularly stuttering. When another train comes from the other direction the game stutters for a moment which is distracting. It's not stable nor smooth. You can see 60 fps in some cases, mostly in some tutorial scenes, but almost never during normal services. The game is definitely playable but not smooth at all, even on X. It also depends hugely on which route you play and where you are. Try some busier stations like London Paddington or New York Penn, and you'll see the game struggle a lot, even down to 15-20 fps (even lower in some extreme cases). Other routes like Rapid Transit or most of the German lines run pretty well in comparison. Then again, on GWE at high speed the game is regularly stuttering, probably because it can't stream in the next sections of the route in time.

Overall, there are many many performance problems with the game on consoles, no matter which one you use, although Xbox One X is probably the best of the bunch. Still, only the next generation consoles will run this game perfectly since they will finally have proper CPUs which are a must for complex simulation games.

3. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Unless i made a mistake, I NEVER SAID the actual gameplay was perfectly smooth. But everything i posted is accurate based on my experiences. Looking around was very smooth to me and the frames held up more consistently than on a base xbox. You could clearly see the difference with more consistent frames and speeds.

Yes, the frames always drop a little at certain points but that was expected.
    You said the game stutters when another train is passing you.
    That no longer happens to me.
    You said the game is not "smooth"
    Its smooth for me more often than before.
    And as i mentioned before, the x wont make you hit 60 fps, but it will allow you to hit slightly higher frames more consistently.

Next time you play, use a keyboard and press "F3" to chk the fps if you want.

The difference the x makes is "Very" noticable to me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Ok, i just took your advice and i departed
    London Paddington with two other trains at the station, peek hours, and light weather effects. Guess What??

SMOOTH LIKE BUTTA:D

Everything from the get go was perfectly smooth and stable. The hud display came up supper fast. No lag when looking aruond in cab or when using camera. The map did not get stuck. Everything was perfect.

Only one thing left to do.

....Time to pulllll out!!

Again, totally smooth.
    Seriously, i tried to recreate one of your issues and the performance was excellent.
    Please dont misunderstand me. I am in no way trying to say you are wrong or that everything is perfect with the game,
    But if the x makes the game more enjoyable, who would have a problem with that??;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. zane88

zane88 Active Member

7. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

I play on xbox one s. Most of the time tsw runs fine but every game has issues. I've had tsw since it came out and it had alot more issues back then like disappearing stations etc. Now it seems to run fine

8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd like to add love for the xbox one x. I had the original launch model, which was underwhelming not to mention big and loud as well. The X has been a significant performance upgrade for gaming across the board and is tiny and practically silent. It also serves as our all purpose streaming box, so it's probably running 16 hours a day in total and barely breaks a sweat.

Really hoping the next xbox continues with this level of quality.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

It's all about sense of speed in TSW. I'd like to buy an XB1X, but I feel like the next-gen consoles are just around the corner. Imagine TSW running at 60 fps with longer view distances. :o !

10. zane88

zane88 Active Member

And perhaps "Longer Routes" to go along with that.

11. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Route length is limited by Dev time, not by Hardware. It just takes quite some time to create routes with all those stations and stuff in TSW detail.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yes, the devs have been quite clear about it. Not sure why this particular misinformation is so perisistant lol.

13. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see how they create their routes. Is it a mix of using Google maps, taking the actual trains, and photographing the locations? I wonder how much studying & education goes into them. One thing's for sure, it must cost a lot of time and resources.

14. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

You can get an idea of how development process works for TS20 from Rivet Games' youtube dev blogs, they made a series when they launched their first route back in August: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxY0YV1uyAgGaaHCmXjWlJQ/videos

It's not exactly TSW but TS20 shares a lot in common with TSW in terms of development.

• Like Like x 4
  15. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Thanks, I'll check this out today. And yes i do remember what the devs said about development time which got me wondering, will we ever see third party content for TSW on consoles? If its possible, this would be HUGE!
    Its just sooo Painful to see all of the routes for train simulator and not be able to play them.
    I would think third party support would be a '' natural progression '' for TSW.

If and when this happens, you can consider me to be a '' lifetime customer ''.:cool: