PlayStation Schedules, Timing, And Scoring Inquiry

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by novembr, Oct 13, 2019.

1. novembr

novembr New Member

I’m still somewhat new to the ins and outs of this game, but my favorite aspect of these types of games is keeping good time staying on schedule. So far that I’ve noticed, only certain scenarios and free mode focus on this? Individual time table missions and journey missions don’t seem to require good timing at all, at least it isn't displayed as part of the objective…are you scored for your timing with those? Continuing into ‘free mode’ from a time table mission will display the scheduled stop/start times of your route, so there you’re on a schedule you have to keep, which is cool, but it’s a lot of waiting sometimes (which makes sense) and I’m uncertain if there are any benefits/consequences to your timing…and even if it there are, free mode doesn’t track best scores so there’s not a big incentive. Replaying scenarios is fine but there aren’t many of them.

So I’m a little confused about schedules, and scoring of timing, between the modes. And I assume replaying scenarios is the closest I can get to a focus on “making good time” and having scores recorded?

2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Scenarios are more special operations, object based and out of the regular thing. Some have timings, which are the scenarios that are basically just a timetable run. The other scenarios are showing some not everyday stuff (Tree on rails, broken train etc)

Timetable mode is where the timings are playing a bigger role. You get timings on where you are expected at a stop.
    How good you keep up with those times is one factor for the points and medals.

• Like Like x 1
  3. novembr

novembr New Member

Ah, well I found it strange the last few time table runs I ran displayed no schedule requirement on the on-screen objective. Perhaps I had, by chance, chosen runs with objectives that didn't require specific timing, or something else. Or they for whatever reason do not display the expected timing on the objective, but your time is tracked nonetheless? I'll have to play with it more, perhaps I'm just confused. That does sound like what I was looking for, though.

Thank you for your input.

4. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Which route is that on?
    Only route without a shedule is MSB. Some freight runs on some routes also dont follow a timing shedule. Forgot these to mention above.
    Passenger runs, except MSB, should have them though.

5. novembr

novembr New Member

I can't recall. I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like recently so I haven't had time to sort it out myself, but I'm sure you're spot on. I'm glad to hear those are exceptions to the norm for time table mode. I'll give other routes/services a go tonight.

6. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

Passenger scenarios and services are scored for timekeeping (basically, as long as you're within about 5 minutes of the scheduled time either way, you get the full points). Freight services don't usually have timetables to keep to.

Also, at the end of the scenario or service, you'll get a list of your stops with the scheduled time and the time you actually arrived (only the first few are shown, though).

7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

One other thing to note is that when loading a saved game (continue) the objective and timing hud/markers sometimes are absent. It's a bug/glitch. Maybe that's what is happening?

If the hud bit is missing it's always best to start the timetable run from the beginning.

8. novembr

novembr New Member

Yeah, I must have been playing the few sorts of services that aren't scheduled. Although since I've been playing the scheduled services, I'm a little disappointed how simplistic the scoring system is for timing and braking accuracy. A few minutes off may be only 4pts or so off the max 500pt score. With such a large max number you'd think they could've done something like deducting 1pt per sec or 10 secs or something and you'd still arrive at a decent score unless you were waaay off, and it would encourage and reward accuracy more than what I've seen so far. But I don't design games so maybe there's a reason they don't do this, or perhaps it's too "gamey" for a simulator.

Also it would've been cool for them to give "bonus points" for doing voluntary, but expected, things like sounding horns at the right time, etc. They do this is Bus Simulator for using turn signals and such. I think it's a good way to maximize scoring. But anyway, I don't wanna be that "idea guy" that makes a wish list of features, lol, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  9. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

That's fair comment. There's definitely scope to do a lot more with AP, and I'm pretty sure this is on the radar. It's early days. I agree it would be great to measure the driver's compliance with things like horn rules. (The rules for horn usage on US railways in particular are alarmingly complex and specific, and quite hard to score, but I dare say something will be done here.)

One thing I'd like to see accounted for is passenger comfort. Right now, you can accelerate out of stations at a bone-rattling clip, and brake so hard into the platform that everybody would end up smeared against the front windscreen. Trains with accelerometers could certainly penalise the driver for putting excessive force on the passengers.

10. novembr

novembr New Member

Yeah, I feel with more discerning scoring, penalties and opportunities for extra points, it would make the replayability of routes/services much more enticing and rewarding. Right now there might be a slight score difference between an immaculate run and mediocre one, but it's not enough to feel invested in making multiple runs to improve your performance. The way I see it, it would add value to every service in the game.