PlayStation Gwe Class 166 Mile Muncher

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Poppa, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Poppa

Poppa Member

OK, figured I'd ask before I get too deep into this. The regular runs give me around 30 miles and take an hour each ..... is there any other way to build miles in the class 166?

Thanks

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Not that I've found; you've just got to grind it for 1660 miles!

3. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

...to which end, the express services will get you there quicker!

4. Poppa

Poppa Member

The class 66 and class 43 runs were all express but I have not found an express for the 166 yet .... I'll keep plugging along

5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

There are a couple that only Stop at Slough with 16odd miles either side of it. I think it is the services that have Bedford in them, can't be sure as it's been ages since I got this one. Those services are what I used though rather than stopping all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bkulesza

Bkulesza Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the services that start with the number 1 are express.

7. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Also above I think I meant a Bedwyn not Bedford

8. rhysdabeast0011

rhysdabeast0011 Member

The fastest way i found to do this was to play the service 2p02 Reading to London Paddington that starts at 2:25am so that means no other trains are running and there are no stops so you can just put the throttle to the max and just relax. Don't even bother to stop at paddington just crash into the buffers and replay the service. Every time you play the service it should get you roughly 2% of the achievement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Poppa

Poppa Member

All this info is great .... I'll be on a quest today to see what I can find.

I'm really enjoying the 166, for me I can handle starts and stops much easier in this equipment.

10. wayneb

wayneb New Member

The only thing is if you go over the speed limit it doesnt count as miles clocked..so just make sure you are keeping within the limits. I only know this from many days grinding away to get this trophy and realised my miles driven weren't being added to the total amount once i hit over the max speed limit and beyond..so just please be aware of this!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Poppa

Poppa Member

I'm really careful about staying within the speed limit but this is great to know.

I did my first "1" service and as mentioned earlier, it only had one stop in Slough .... so a quick run to build those miles .....

12. wayneb

wayneb New Member

Glad your enjoying the route. Its one of my favourites in the game being based in the UK and in London so I can actually say I've been to some of those stations in real life.

Hope they release more UK tracks as they are definitely my favourite to travel on. I'm pretty much done with the German ones as the latest DLC just seems to be more of the same scenery as the other German routes in the game and just not different enough for me to warrant shelling out £24.99 on. I'll end up getting it eventually when the price drops as I love the game and always want more tracks but would rather be spending my hard earned money on UK ones.

Anyways..good luck with this trophy. I didnt have any problems with it being rewarded to me like other trophys in the game and its a lovely feeling when you know your near completing it and half way through another journey it suddenly pops! Enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  13. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

All of the trophies in this game this by far is one of the worst grinds. The GWE is a pretty bland route compared to some of the later ones and without the branches between Paddington and Reading there's no variety to speak of. I have about 800 miles at the moment and that in itself has been tiring...

14. rhysdabeast0011

rhysdabeast0011 Member

On the 166 for me it maxed out at 90 mph so you don't have to worry about speed most of the route just when you need to

15. Poppa

Poppa Member

I am really enjoying building the miles. It is a little sad to see all of the route names and only be able to run between Reading and Paddington .... it would be great to travel to these other stations .... but I'm sure that is way down the priority list for DTG so I'll just enjoy what I have.

• Like Like x 1
  16. wayneb

wayneb New Member

I remember the first time I played TSW and saw all the different places in the timetable mode and thought wow! But it quickly dawned on me it was just Reading to Paddington. I also remember the first time I didn't depart the train when it arrived at Reading and it began its journey out beyond the station. I actually thought for a while..hey..I'm going to end up somewhere new I shouldn't be in! But then the message 'You have travelled outside the simuated area' flashed up and I was dumped back to the menu! It is strange though thats theres an awful amount of track past Reading thats been created that serves no purpose. I suppose the train yards are up there but thats about it. As you can see from my profile pic its my favourite track in the game though and hopefully more will be added soon!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  17. Poppa

Poppa Member

For those that have a defective gene like me or are just curious, here is a quick summary of my observations.

If you run all the services that start with a "1" you will have around 1425.65 miles. Not far off the 1660 needed.

The services that start with a "1" area mix. There are 8 or so that are non-stop. Most are 1 or 2 stops. A few have 3 stops. And the outlier is the 21:12 from Oxford to London Paddington which stops at all stations.

Now off to run a few of the "2"and "3" services.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Is there any services that stop at Hanwell and West Ealing

19. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Well looking at the DLC timeline, we're expecting a UK route in the next month or two (hopefully something modern), and it looks like only GWE, LIRR and PC haven't yet received any useable DLC additions so it would certainly nice to see something for them, especially since every German route can/will be able to use most of the different locos for that country.

DLC-Timetable.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I achieved the 166 mile muncher the other day funnily enough. I think the key is to not actively try to obtain the trophy. Just drive the GWE 166 services as and when you fancy it. It’ll seem less of a chore that way. Mix things up from every route you have and don’t just stick to one all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Poppa

Poppa Member

I looked at my notes and I only see 1 service that stopped at Hanwell. It's the class 166 departing Paddington at 8:36.

West Ealing has more ... try class 166 departing Paddington at 8:49.