187 Reviews Be Dropping Hard

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nami990, Feb 16, 2022.

1. nami990

nami990 New Member

"Very Negative"

Thats what was said for the reviews for the 187. I was actually looking forward to the 187 badly for like a year, but skyhook trashed it. What was their reasoning about the atrocious, copied sounds??

Now the thing is, the bad review affects the entire TSW franchise as a whole, I dont see DTG addressing much about this issue https://showbox.tools/. In many ways, this is like the debt trap of a particular country. They give you out a big loan and when you cant repay em, they take control over it. In this case, the 187's "terribility" is the loan and the TSW franchise will soon be unable to pay it and ruin the already cracked reputation of TSW.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think you're quite overestimating the damage it'll do to TSW as a whole. There are plenty of things in TS1 that have 'very negative' reviews - some of which isn't even DTG stuff, and that seems to be doing fine. The reasoning was they were unable to source the sounds despite previously being under the impression that they would.

• Like Like x 4
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Agree with Cameron's Gaming

We were all looking forward to the BR187. FINALLY we had something that wasn't a BR185 and wasn't as old and basic as the BR155... and it ended up being much worse than the BR155 or even worse than the Main Spessart BR185... let alone the BRD 185.5 which in comparison is on another level entirely.

The BR187 was by far the largest disappointment in TSW DLCs for me personally.

My only BR187-related hope is that even if there is the SHG model, some other developer (or even SHG themselves) either completely overhauls it, or builds its own from scratch.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree on the statement that the BR 155 was in anyways a bad or average DLC. Actually, its one of the best german loco DLCs and the BR 187 is by far the worst.

• Like Like x 8
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The BR155 was very good, but it's starting to show its age compared to newer trains IMO. Stuff like the G/P/R selector missing, the inability to operate the electric brake alone (even if I understood the real BR155 manual states otherwise), puts it just above mediocrity now IMO. But it's still fun and it's better than both the BR187 and MSB 185.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

1st: You cant operate the electric brake manually on the BR 155. The only thing you can do is to set up how much brake force the dynamic brake is giving while the train brake is active.

And the missing GPR-function isnt something that would put this loco onto mediocrity because in everything else that loco is outstanding.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

What I mean is that in a discussion I had about the real BR155 manual IIRC we came to the conclusion IRL you can operate the electric brake alone. Now you can only use the blended brake (so air brake + electric) and you can select how much electric brake you want, but you can't use it alone.

The G/P/R was just an example, compared to the BRD BR185.5/BR143 I think it's too basic now, the air brake lever is still a smooth 0-100% instead in the BR143 (which AFAIK uses the same brake stand) this had been corrected to have the notched brakes, but apart from that I can't think of any big issue right now, not sure if the physics could be improved like in the BR185.5 as I am not knowledgeable enough on the prototype. As I said it's not mediocre or bad, but is has gone from being excellent to just better than mediocre IMO. But you are allowed to have a different opinion, the important point is agreeing that it's still miles better than the 187 lol

Hopefully it will be updated like the BR185.5

8. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

The German stuff is usually good, so ppl flipped out when it didnt have the perfect "reeeEEEEEEE" sound

The avg addon thats non German has poor sounds and reveiws better than the 187

When you're used to champagne, toilet wine isnt that appealing is it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Its not about the sounds, at least in my opinion. For this i can get the mods and i have an understanding if devs have a problem getting appointments because of the current covid situation.

No, its the problems with its functionality, lack of beta testing and the fact skyhook doesnt give a sh...t.

Cane creek still has major bugs, they managed to screw up an existing loco of dtg. But to be fair in this, cane creek has the best far distance visuals i have seen so far in a tsw route. And even if the route is slow (as it is in real), i enjoy cane creek.

If horseshoe can convince at the preview stream theyll get my money.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's not only about the sounds, it doesn't work. AFB doesn't work, PZB doesn't work, the brake indicator on the right screen doesn't work, the headlights are wrong, and at release the marking were from the wrong locomotive (BR147)! And on top of all that the sounds are not only bad, but have absolutely nothing to do with the BR147. It would be like having the SD70ACe with the sand patch SD40-2 sounds.

Also I'm not sure why people don't complain as much for othet stuff, I don't understand why apparently nobody cares that CSS doesn't work on SHM, or why there isn't more pressure from the community to introduce thing like TPWS and approach control, but it's not a justification to release broken things.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Clumsy Pacer

Because it's already been implemented?

12. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

13. Clumsy Pacer

I must be hollucinating then, because I'm pretty sure I've been tripped by a TPWS OSS on Brighton, in a 387.

14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to rewrite my post because it was ambiguous.

It is possible that you got tripped by OSS on BML, I don't know what system they used there, but I remember Matt saying that Cathcart was the first step into implementing TPWS, so it's possible there is some TPWS implementation in BML. But I am pretty confident it's not implement in any older route (maybe apart from the TSS loops).

15. Clumsy Pacer

Ok, I'll try a service and video it - anyone know of any 387 services with red lights, preferably at or near the start?

• Like Like x 1
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

A huge amount of hyperbole there! Personally I haven't bought the 187 because of the reviews but to say it has somehow sullied the reputation of the complete simulator is over the top. I would soon forget about the deficiences 187 after having a drive on the Cathcart circle, the Dresden Riesa line or spending some time at Victoria in rush hour.

• Like Like x 2