1980/90s London, Tilbury And Southend Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by a.schmidt943, Feb 14, 2021.

1. a.schmidt943

a.schmidt943 New Member

Watching some clips of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway on YT inspired me to post this suggestion. So maybe this gets some attention from DTG and we can see the Route in the future, as we´ve a number of modern British EMUs in TSW but only the Class 483 as something representing engineering from the last century.

It´s time to travel back in time a bit and enjoy the atmosphere of the 90s with the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. Driving some first gen. BR EMUs with humming traction motors , manual destination blinds , slam doors and no computerized systems on board. Set before BR was privatized and Network Southeast operated the Line and the trains had their blue,white,red and grey livery.

The Route map:
    [​IMG]

Connecting Fenchurch Street in London and Shoeburyness in Essex the Route is double tracked and electrified at 25kV AC Overhead. Via Basildon the line has a length of 39 miles and 40 chains, though it would be nice to include the southern part too (that would add about 30 miles from what I found, so it´s very unlikely) to have some more variety in services.

As of the services it seems like only commuter trains run on this line so no freight or intercity (correct me if I´m wrong). Depending on what the route would include there are possible services:

Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness either via Tilbury or Basildon
    Fenchurch Street to Grays via Purfleet

Additionally some railtour could be included.

The included trains would be the BR Class 302 and 310 both in Network Southeast Livery.

[​IMG]
    The Class 302 EMUs were built by BR at their York and Doncaster works. 112 4-car sets were built between 1958 and 1960 for the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway route. Withdrawn in 1999 with only 2 driving trailers surviving.

[​IMG]
    The Class 310 EMU were built beetween 1965 and 1967 at BRs Derby works and consisting of 4 cas per set. Incorporating disc brakes instead of the 302s brake blocks the braking performance is different. Like the 302s capable of 75mph, they were withdrawn in 2002 and no vehicle survived.

Additional DLCs for this route could be the Class 305, 308 and 312.

And now some additional Videos

I apologize for any wrong information as I´m not from the UK and these are the results of my online research. I would be glad if you could add additional information or just let me know what you think about this suggestion.

Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Mctrain face

Mctrain face Active Member

This route would be good to see. There are lots of post suggesting this route. Id like to see it

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Very interesting route. I would especially like to see the older BR EMU'S with all there quirks.

• Like Like x 3
  4. a.schmidt943

a.schmidt943 New Member

Good to hear. Though it would probably be difficult to recreate the sounds and performance of trains not in existence anymore.
    But a reason more to bring it back to life in TSW I think.
    Or maybe AP could make this their debut route for TSW.

• Like Like x 3