The Catch A Question Of Bait

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chizzckh, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

Can anyone clear up a few things that I have been wondering about recently regards bait please? Or at least shed their own thoughts?

Are there any baits that simply don't work (catch) on a particular venue? To give an example there are plenty of boilie flavours to choose from but do some just not catch on a venue whatever method etc you use? Or is it just a case that some have a far lower bite rate but will catch eventually? Same question goes for any of the other baits that are similarly grouped (Dead Baits, Lures etc)

And an extension to the above question. I have found particular baits that have a high catch rate on a particular venue on a session. Then when I play another time with exactly everything the same. I find sometimes the catch rate for that bait seems noticeably lower for no obvious reason. Probably a question that needs to be answered by the developers but it there any programming/design reason why this is the case? For example I use both Hot Fish and Essential Cell to target Cats on the Ebro, both catch fairly regularly but a lot of the time one seems more effective in terms of bite rate one day and then that seems to swap the next session.

Finally do baits for example that work well for a specific species on the Ebro, automatically work well for the same species at another venue? Or do species at different venues react differently to certain baits?

Just trying to make better bait choices for Boss Fish mainly but also species hunting.

2. OptimusPride498

OptimusPride498 New Member

Yes I believe you are right. Not that I know more then you but I have noticed the same. One time one bait work, the next it doesn’t. Or I can catch one fish with a lure but after that nothing. Now last I discovered that a lure good with pike and always stay at the surface, but if you let it rest it will slowly sink and catches big catfish. But it doesn’t have any bait on it. My top 2 bait with carps is “wonder of heaven” and “wonder of hell” by the way, as help to you.

Even the online tournaments show totally different results on attempt on 1:st or 2:nd/3:rd attempt. And I mean in a not normal way, like one time on a bass contest I catches them and got 18 in an hour but the next, for a full hour, I just get pikes and all of them was trophy fishes and not one single bass. And I did everything the same way...

And how do you even know if it is a Boss fish or not? Are they all trophy fish. I got an enormous catfish on 75 kilos, but it was not a trophy catch. So was that not a Boss fish after all....?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Bait values are only specified between species, not between venues. So a bait that works for Carp on one venue will have the same value on another. However, that doesn't mean you are guaranteed the same amount of catches. The venues in the game all have different amounts of fish, so you may find you have more luck on 1 venue than another with a specific fish and this can be down to location, time of day, and the amount of fish under that species that are in the water. For example, Oxlease has 4 times the amount of common carp that Bestii has.

You do have baits that just won't work for certain fish, so for example dead baits will not attract Koi Carp at all on any venue. But as I mentioned before the baits are never valued against the venues, only the species.

Finally, don't forget that time of day does affect all fish, not just boss fish. The game isn't as strict as - put bait here and get a 100% bite every time. This is just part of game design and the nature of fishing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

Thanks. Would I expect for example that say off the top of my head that a Monster Red Boilie would be as effective at catching carp equally across all venues? Going on what you say about bait being species specific rather than venue?

Reason I ask is although I have the tackle points to do it. I haven't bought all the range in boilies as I'm not sure if they differ much in terms of catch rates or fish they catch? The same for lures. I have a few that I use that catch all species and have not bothered buying every other one as again I'm not sure how for example one top water lure differes in effectiveness to the other.

Sorry for the long winded questions.

5. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Yes, so the Monster Red Boilie would have the same value across all venues. The main thing to consider with the boilies is the size that comes into play, bigger boilies will tend to yield bigger catches.

• Like Like x 1