Aberdeen And Inverness

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by inversnecky, Feb 22, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

We have Inverness to Kyle from JT, who are also planning to extend their SECML Edinburgh to Perth route with a Perth to Inverness section due for release this year.

Unlike most here, I dare say(!), none of the rail routes within a hundred miles of me have any DLC representation at all, which is a shame.

So, from a purely selfish point of view, can I suggest the following routes:

Inverness to Aberdeen
    Inverness to Wick/Thurso
    Aberdeen to Edinburgh
    Aberdeen to Glasgow

• Like Like x 7
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess from this post that you live in Aberdeen?

I do agree it would be nice to get Aberdeen on the map. I think there is a project at ATS somehow connecting here, and I know the Scottish East Coast Mainline also heads up to Perth, meaning with the release of the Highland Main Line (Inverness-Perth), we'll now have a full link from London King's Cross all the way to Kyle of Lochaish (that would be a heck of a journey). I see Aberdeen would branch off at Dundee, but if connected, gives the option of a similar journey to London King's Cross over time via the Scottish ECML and other routes (the SECML goes to Edinburgh). Inverness to Aberdeen is very possibly a future JT project given they are covering the north quite a bit. I do not know about Wick/Thurso, which I believe is the Far North Line.

3. inversnecky

I now live about a quarter of the way between Aberdeen and Inverness, but anything remotely local would be great.

I look forward to the JT Perth to Inverness route (just hope they don’t put Durham Cathedral in Aviemore, like they did in Kirkcaldy!), as in my younger years Inverness to Edinburgh was a route I took all the time.

Some great scenario possibilities for the Drumochter Summit in winter!

• Like Like x 1
  4. inversnecky

Now that JT have pulled the plug on the eagerly expected (well, by me at least!), Inverness to Perth line, to join up with their SCML, fingers crossed that someone, somewhere, will pick this up and fill in a very glaring gap.

Hopefully, if TS is still on the go in ten years time, and as the list of unmodelled routes steadily diminishes, we might even see routes with Aberdeen included.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Aberdeen Angus. Though it stops halfway, it needs finishing.

6. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I would welcome Aberdeen to Inverness as I’d like to back date Aberdeen and use it to do the route to Peterhead using the class 21 and 26 we don’t have!
    I remember looking into the old relic of Keith shed and finding a Class 26 hiding way back in the mid 70s when 26s ruled the Highlands. I also remember Inverurie shed in 1966 housing more than half of the Class 21 hidden away from embarrassment.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I think the route would be too big for tsw2.

8. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

But not for TSC which is the subject of this forum. Yet again TSW followers fail to read.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

It'd absolutely scream out for a shove-duff 47/7 & a DBSO...!!!

Eric

10. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

DBSO already exists from AP

11. ntypeman

Yes... but unfortunately you can't drive it...

Eric

12. tgfdr#6135

tgfdr#6135 New Member

You would also have a lot of train types to go along with these routes it’s a good shout

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. ntypeman

Reef...

not that I've checked recently but I seem to recall that if you look at the comments about it, there's been a fair few "complaints" that it doesn't work properly...

I'd also (a long time ago now) chatted to dunkrez about him doing a working version of DBSO...

Eric

15. inversnecky

I had a look at this today with a view to downloading, but the comments seem to suggest it unfortunately doesn’t seem to work well. Shame.

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Only issue I had with it iirc was the stray point light that was mentioned, and that's easily edited out of the .bin file anyway.

Hey it's up to you, I'm not forcing anyone to try it, it was stated that the AP DBSO was non driveable, I corrected that statement, it is driveable and I have driven it, it isn't perfect but it's better than all the other (zero) options out there.