About Dtg Protagonist Is He The Right Community Manager

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KyleL, Jul 21, 2020.

1. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I mean it's sad to see sam only fill in the spot of community manager but many things have changed since he became temperary community manager like DTG is listening to the community but is this a coincidence did God send Sam to bless the community I mean this might be a coincidence but who knows he has been here helping every one he fails at driving I mean even the trains love him they constantly yell at him saying sifa or whatever the other systems do I mean people & trains love him.Well the theory about god sending him to bless the community seems true to me at least.But lets not remember all those times he derailed or overshot the station but I rest my case sam is the best community manager ever.I mean his colonel failure videos are funny but I was wondering who this sam guy was then I realized it was the colonel

• Like Like x 8
  2. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I have loved sam youtube channel long before he hooked up offically with dove tail games,i think if wants the job full time it be a perfect fit,but that might cut into his colonel failure channel,so i'm kinda torn by it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Oh I forgot that it might tear his schedule but at least we could get some of his antics live on stream but it's his choice so who knows what he'll do

• Like Like x 1
  4. SHINO BAZ

In the end for sam it might come down to which job puts more money in his wallet and bank account.
    So how much is sam worth to dove tail games,i guessing at some point will all find out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Sam is doing a fantastic job as community manager and I think he has the personality that suits that kind of role. I’m guessing he just doesn’t want the job full time or they wouldn’t be hiring.

• Like Like x 5
  6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes i see

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

I asked Sam a couple of weeks ago during live stream if he was interested in n full time community manager position . He said no . He did it for years before think he had enough. It takes up too much time.
    He would be perfect fit though.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I mean it's sad when the perfect person for something is only temporary

• Like Like x 2
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The next community manager has got pretty big shoes to fill.

I’m not saying Sam has got big feet, we don’t even know if he’s got feet, we’ve only seen his top half. Generally, on internet streams everyone is just a top half. I digress.

What I mean is he’s been doing a sterling job and will be a hard act to follow.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

I could not say that any better.Sams amazing does not surprise me that he has multiple job titles lol.I just ask dtg to keep the transparency with us the community,when he does step down.We appreciate and love your dedication for getting things right.Cheers and big thank you SAM!!!.I'm looking foward to TSW 2 and good job dtg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

Ok understood. And I agree he has been Stella at the job will be sad day when he steps down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

The feeling that I get from Sam is that he is seriously over-qualified for the role of Community Manager. But if it is something that he wants to do, then I would say that he is simply brilliant at doing the job:

- he has an incredibly difficult job dealing with us on the Forum, but he judges it all brilliantly;
    - broadcasting live two or three times a week is non-trivial, and he is brilliant presentationally... live;
    - if there is even a minor mis-step then he responds immediately and takes immediate responsibility and apologises;
    - he clearly has bucket-loads of experience and has seen pretty much everything already x100 times; and,
    - he is someone that actually appears to have a plan in his head.

But we only see a small part of what Sam does. A lot of his time will be spent in meetings (I imagine) saying things like:

- is that really the right thing for us to to tell the community.... at this time....?
    - is there any real reason why the game can't be changed to give people what they want, by doing X, Y and Z......?
    - etc....

But my overwhelming feeling is that the thing that Sam is probably best at is bringing everyone else that he interfaces with down-to-earth...., and out of fantasy-land, out of vague-land.... and out of "no news on that" land.

Basically - he gets it. And I can't imagine anyone else doing the job as well as he does.

But I don't think that he should be the Community Manager. That would be a loss for all of us, of course. I think that he should be training and then managing the next Community Manager.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  13. SHINO BAZ

Wether sam takes the job as CM or not dove tail games should give him free new dlc,he could do some previews for any new dlc,i'm sure any dlc he premotes will leave dove tail games rolling in british pounds/eruos whatever the UK currently calls there cash.If fact i think he's already done some tsw dlc previews with matt(i. Know he helped preview NTP).So whatever his future involvement with dtg is i'm sure he'll be connected to dtg in some meaningfull way.

Btw:If i remember correctly i'm sure dtg ask him to show off one of the new germam routes,i'm not sure if it was rsn or msb,but his ability to premote anything is worth ever euro it cost.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  14. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

All in favour of having Sam stay say aye!!
    I love his streams and the odd occasion it goes tits up! Very enjoyable personality

• Like Like x 4
  15. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Well we will see in the future what will happen & I hope there will be another good community manager just like Sam

16. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I think Sam has done an awesome job acting on behalf of, and supporting this community since he’s been in his position... things have really headed in a very positive direction thanks to all of his effort. I’ve also known that this was only a temporary role for him, and that someone else would likely slide into this spot at some point and take it over. If that’s destined to be, then I wish Sam all the best moving forward in whatever it is he decides to do... and I certainly hope the replacement lives up to the high standards that Sam has helped set.

(Thanks for everything you’ve done for this community, Sam... sure hope you’re part of the interview process for the new candidate, and that you stay in touch with all of us moving forward)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. fanta1682002

yes i see

18. SaddingtonPlush

SaddingtonPlush Member

Sam has an extremely difficult job which he's handling very well.

Whether we like or dislike messages he brings, he's just the messenger. He lets us know that various concerns have been heard. I'm sure when the community react very positively to something - a new feature for example - that is also fed back to DTG.

On a lot of forums you'll see posts like "are they even reading these forums? do they even listen to us?" Well, with Sam we know the answer is yes: we are heard.

• Like Like x 3
  19. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

He's not "just the messenger".

Messengers deliver the message, simple as. Just like your postman or woman or non binary identifying delivery operative. They don't try and justify why the tax demand they are delivering is so high. They purely deliver the messages.

The community manager is part of the PR team which is no doubt part of the Marketing team whose pure reason for being is to relieve you of as much of your hard earned income as possible.

Yes, the current community manager is very good at his job, but he's purely there to convince you that whatever his paymasters decide is the way it should be, and that whatever you think is generally wrong if it's not in line with what they want you to think.

20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I agree, he is doing an excellent job and I say this as someone who has, quite rightly, been told off by him a couple of times! I too enjoy his Colonel Failure videos, it is a little bit weird watching them now and seeing him in this new role.

I hope he would take on the job full time as I think whoever follows him will have a hard act to follow, as Sam has done following on from Dimitri.

Still, he obviously needs to do what is best for him long term.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  21. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Thanks for the votes of confidence, folks, it's appreciated.

We are in the process of bringing new community people onboard, and they'll eventually replace me as the DTG person you see most frequently. For the time being, at least up until launch and just beyond, I'll be front and centre - throwing a new CM into the fire would be unkind. Even after that transition I will still be your voice inside the company.

When I took the job on my remit was not only to handle normal community management responsibilities, but also to steer DTG in a more transparent direction. As a company we've not been good at providing insight into what we're doing - particularly with regard to looking after routes, locos or trains we've already released. We've already made some changes to this on a procedural level, but that's meaningless if you don't see the results. The roadmap is a major piece of this work, and I look forward to its initial release.

• Like Like x 15
  22. fanta1682002

you is very good

• Like Like x 2