Ac4400cw On Sd40-2 Services

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pschlik, Nov 8, 2017.

1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

So I was thinking that with SD40-2s being able to substitute for a GP38-2 in a service designed for a GP38-2, why not let AC4400CWs take over for SD40-2s in services designed for the SD40-2s? (Only exception being the switching one. And yes, I think U876 with a couple of AC4400CWs would be cool!)

AC4400CWs and other big diesels make up a lot of modern CSX mainline traffic, and if the services timetable were true to life, there would be an unfairly small number of SD40-2 services. Problem is, the TSW timetable ended up under representing AC4400CWs, putting them on only autoracks and intermodals. The current timetable just doesn't let you run AC4400CWs on services they would operate in real life-AC4400CWs do manifests and oil trains as well as those autoracks and intermodals!

So I think a simple way to address that problem would be the method already used to swap a GP38-2 with an SD40-2. It would make the AC4400CW services a bit more interesting than just same old same old intermodals and empty autoracks while adding in some more realism.

[And I figure this would make the most sense replacing all the locomotives on the SD40-2 intended service with a pair of AC4400CWs, but sometimes you do get a mix of an AC4400CW and an old EMD in real life. If that could randomly happen at a low probability, that would be neat! I've always wanted to mix and match over Sand Patch.]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yeah, DTG only seems to put two of the same locomotives on each train. That is not how it is in real life.