PlayStation Ac4400w - Multiple Unit Setup

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Aerilon, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Aerilon

Aerilon Member

Is there anybody out there who could show me how to properly setup an AC4400W multiple unit? I couldn't find anything in the forum or the Internet about it. I'd like to know how to setup of you have to machines on the Front As well As when you have a loco at the rear of the train.

2. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Does the title of that thread ring a bell? (link)
    There have also been threads in the tech report section, watch for Sand Patch Grade, e.g. this one. (link)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  3. Aerilon

Aerilon Member

Not really. In the file it's for a GD38-2 and I'm looking for AC4400W since it seems it's constructed differently OR I dont know where to find the stuff I need. For example I have no idea where the Break Cut off valve or the mu-a2 valve is at the AC4400W. The Other Things you need, Radio, eninge field, fuel pump etc i do find

4. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

5. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

They are a bit different, right, how about the second link? The method should be quite similar.

6. matthewbguilford

Although it is for a GP-38 the set up is basically identical. The only difference is the brake cut in/out and the Trailing mode can be changed on the main computer screen and when setting up a distributed power MU just make sure you also turn on the banking comm in your front lead locomotive.

7. Aerilon

Aerilon Member

Sorry, didnt saw that second link. Still there are configuration namens for Brake Cut off valve or mu-a2 valve. Does the ac4400cw have These Things and I dont know where to find them? Or can i skip These points?

8. Aerilon

Aerilon Member

And how do i need to setup the Computer? Not Sure what every options does or stand for :(

9. matthewbguilford

I just want to say if I was new to TSW and Sandpatch was the first route I jumped into I would absolutely not have a clue how to do a lot of the prep work. Although there are some tutorials and an effort to help you understand it. They definitely have left important steps out, such as preparation for a Distributed power MU consist. I’d be really lost had I no prior knowledge so just know that your doing the right thing and asking and not just giving up as a great experience on Sandpatch awaits you!
    Okay, so if your following these instructions, and it asks you to put the locomotive in “Trail 6 or 24” on the ACW44000 the trailing mode is located on the main computer. You just have to navigate it and change whichever it’s asking you to set it as. Those functions can usually be found as a physical switch on most locomotives, the AC44000 is special and has these functions on the computer screen. 21D5984F-4D66-4492-829A-96A606C6AA69.jpeg

10. Aerilon

Aerilon Member

What's giving up? That doesn't exist in my vocabulary :D

What would be the exact setup for the Computer? Could you navigate me? I assume it's somewhere in the air Brake section? Since there it Shows stuff like Brake Cut in/out and lead/trail options.

• Like Like x 1
  11. matthewbguilford

Yes! So the air brake section of the computer. If your in the lead locomotive that your driving, you want your brake cut in/out set to “Cut in” and lead/trail into “Lead”. Make sure you click the button on the screen that says “Save changes” before exiting. The locomotive that is connected to yours, that your paired with you want brake cut in/out set to “out” and the trail/lead set to trail. You want to leave the cab as it is which should be inactive (Automatic brake set to off, reverser out, engine, generator and fuel control switches set to off. You will know this is working if you set your exterior camera outside of the locomotive looking into the cab controls and you will see the AMP dial move in sync to your lead locomotive. When setting up a distributed power loco, you do the same exact steps here and set the rear lead loco up as if your going to drive it and the unit connected set up as a trailing loco. When you return to the front lead loco, turn the radio fuse on (if it has one) and turn the banking comm on. If done correctly if you look at the cab controls using an exterior camera, when you throttle up your locomotive, you will actually see the throttle moving in the rear lead locomotive. This is a way to represent there being another driver in the rear MU communicating and helping push the freight train.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aerilon

Aerilon Member

Okay, in the trailing loco the same jut with trail Option obviously. Does the trailing loco have Auto Brake Cut in or Cut out? If i have distributed Power with a rear loco, does that loco Has to be Set up As a lead unit? Auto Brake in or out?

13. matthewbguilford

I added some more detailed steps that will hopefully be helpful!

14. Aerilon

Aerilon Member

Awesome! Thanks a thousand Times!

15. matthewbguilford

Anytime, another member explained it in a much more clear way and I asked him to share it on this thread. You will get it working! Have fun and good luck!

16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

matthewbguilford as you requested, but i have to give credit to Stockton Rails for helping me understand this in the first place. Maybe DTG Protagonist would consider a sticky or something?

You should set-up as following (keeping it short). Do steps in order please.

Lead engine (front of train):
    Gen Field, Engine run, control & fuel pump- all 3 set to ON.
    MU-2A- set to "lead or dead"
    Brake cut out- set to "freight"
    Independent brake "100%"- to hold train while you finish setup
    Automatic Brake handle "released"
    Ensure radio fuse (in fuse box) is ON

Trail engine (front of train):
    Gen Field, Engine run, control & fuel pump- all 3 set to OFF.
    MU-2A- set to "Trail 6 or 26"
    Brake cut out- set to "cut-out"
    Brake handle- you shouldn't have to touch- keep set at "handle off"

Lead engine (rear of train):
    Gen Field, Engine run, control & fuel pump- all 3 set to ON.
    MU-2A- set to "lead or dead"
    Brake cut out- set to "freight"
    Ensure radio fuse (in fuse box) is ON

Trail engine (rear of train):
    Gen Field, Engine run, control & fuel pump- all 3 set to OFF.
    MU-2A- set to "Trail 6 or 26"
    Brake cut out- set to "cut-out"

***once all these are set turn "Banking Comms" to ON in the Lead Engine (front of train ONLY)***

You should be set then. You can verify by using the exterior camera to view the helpers at the back- cycle up the throttle using the controller shortcut, you should see and hear them cycling up as well. Once verified, set throttle to notch 1, release independent brake in lead engine, and throttle up slowly to avoid wheelslip.

If it doesn't work, try again doing all steps in-order.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1