Add Better Consist Editor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tswgamerts, Jan 24, 2023.

1. tswgamerts

tswgamerts Member

I know there's a consist editor for train sim world, but it's kind of messy from what I saw with the files and all that, I think you should add the consist editor they use in train simulator, we can make custom consists way easier, I think most people would agree on my idea. With all these American and International consists, it would be a good addition for people to make consists with different types of rolling stock.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The problem with consist editor in TSW as opposed to in TSC is that there isn't the multi-stop marker (that lozenge thing on the floor) in TSC so you can add and remove cars to your heart's content in TSC and so long as any part of the train is in the platform it counts as a stop. In TSW it isn't like that for scoring and so on
    So until they make the stops dynamic and changeable for consist length and car number it wouldn't be possible
    It's also why they can't have substitution between multi car length trains

3. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

While the multi-car thing might pose a problem, my main concern in TSW with a consist editor would be, that the majority of rolling stock is simply not compatible with each other. Back in the TS days, the only concerns were brake type and coupling, because nothing else was simulated. However in TSW nearly everything in between the rolling stock is simulated. This includes not only brake lines and couplers, but mainly MU cables, door control etc. What that would result in is probably a load of complaints as to why the consist editor is so restrictive. It would have its use for mixed freight consists, however thats about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Correct... The trains operating like the real world so you can not combine a 143 with n-wagons so it's more complex than in TSC where this whole system is not implemented. A consist editor is in this case not so easy to build but DTG is aware of this but so far its not on the roadmap that means no progress!

5. ARuscoe

Unless you had a mode similar to "off the rails" where anything could couple to anything

6. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Not really, unlike "off the rails" you cannot just ignore everything. For example ignoring the connection between a cab car and loco would mean no traction. The simulation in TSW is just too deep for that. Unless a huge amount of effort is put into making things unrealistic, I don't see something like that happening.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mjwilkinson827

mjwilkinson827 New Member

But for physics, I can plop random trains into the game and couple onto them. Doesn’t that mean that we should be able to do that prior to loading the game?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

For the purpose of simplifying the control system for an imaginary train they could. Make it that all "power levers" operate all other power levers, ie you can drive from any cab.
    Not like people are going to complain about realism when what they're doing is highly unrealistic to begin with

• Like Like x 2
  9. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

A sort of "model railway" mode where all that matters is that the loco is on the rails, and the rest of the minutiae of real life are ignored when you turn the knob marked forwards and backwards. Would mean stripping out a lot of the physics, but I imagine it could be doable. If it's worth doing is the real question DTG would be asking.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  10. tswgamerts

tswgamerts Member

this is actually a good point