Additional Rolling Stock For The Chatham Main & Medway Valley Lines - Class 376 & Class 508/2

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by dcr raptor, Jul 25, 2021.

1. dcr raptor

dcr raptor Member

The class 376 is a variant of the electrostar built for operations on high-volume metro routes from central london. Unlike most electrostar variants, the class 376 features a full width cab, with no gangway or door at the front of the train.
    As far as sound and performance are concerned, this train should be almost identical to the existing class 378, so all that would need creating is a new model.
    In terms of scenarios for train simulator, these would be used on the Chatham Main & Medway Valley route performing services between London Cannon Street and Dartford.

[​IMG]
    Wikipedia

The class 508/2 ran between London Bridge and Tonbridge Wells via Maidstone West and Strood from 1996 until December 2008. These units started to be replaced in December 2006 with Class 466 units that had been displaced from other routes. These trains carried the Connex Southeastern livery from their introduction in 1996 until April 2006, when they were repainted into the Southeastern livery for their final 2 years of service.
    [​IMG]
    Wikimedia Commons

Edit -
    Just realised that I had the Chatham Mainline mixed up with the Sidcup line, so the 376 wouldn't be able to do Cannon Street to Dartford. While they are also used for London Victoria to Orpington services, they do not use the Chatham Mainline, instead going via Peckham and Hither Green. Could be done as a fictional diverted train scenario, alternatively it's routes could be added as a extension to the South London Network or the Chatham Main & Medway. As for the Class 508/2, these would still have the full Medway Valley Line to run on, meaning that while there would be a slightly smaller list of scenarios to use them on, they still belong on this route.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

Both would be nice to see but one minor point though, Cannon Street nor Dartford are on Chatham Main and Medway valley lines, but that being said though - they would run ECS (Empty Stock towards Ramsgate or Gillingham, so can run on part of the route :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

4. dcr raptor

dcr raptor Member

Admittedly, after looking at Google maps, I got the Chatham Main Line and the confused with the Sidcup Line. Also having London Cannon Street mentioned in the list of scenarios on the steam store page made me think that Cannon Street was included in the route.
    I've now taken another look at the route map to see which stations are actually included and found that while the class 508/2 is still relevant to the route, the Class 376 was a somewhat questionable suggestion.
    The Class 376, although not able to do Cannon Street - Dartford as part of this route (might make that a route suggestion), is still able to do London Victoria - Orpington. However the route does not follow the same path that it would take in real life. In reality, the 376 travelled via Peckham and Hither Green rather than on the Chatham Mainline. Could still be done as a fictional diversion though. Will add routes these ran on to the route suggestions.
    The Class 508/2, while not operating out of Victoria, still has the full Medway Valley line from Strood to Tonbridge. So this one is still very relevant.

The main reason for me requesting the Class 376 was to get a more realistic model for this train rather than to just use a recolour of a different train.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  5. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

That is of course a fair point :) (although the 378 and 376 are similar to be fair, but different of course - and I only suggested that as something that you could use as similar ). Although to note I think the 508 also went to Sheerness on Sea :)