Adjusting The Brightness Of Applied Logos?

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by WaveyDavey, Feb 24, 2021.

1. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

I'm just starting out on the repaint side of things and have done 4 or 5 various wagons so far. My latest was the one pictured here but I wondered if there was any way to adjust how bright the logos are when applied?

With this particular repaint I would have preferred the UP logo to be a bit duller to match in with the weathering on the rest of the vehicle rather than looking pristine and standing out so much.

Is there anyway to stop the logo being so bright? 2021-02-24.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You could move the logo layer up to the top of the list, putting it behind the weathering.

If that doesn't work, then make a scrim- a gray, transparent shape that covers it. Adjust the darkness and transparency to taste.

3. WaveyDavey

The logos were the first two items on the list so are behind everything.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean about a scrim? How would I made one of these? It would have to be the same shape as the UP crest wouldn’t it so as not to affect the surrounding paint work?

4. solicitr

Yes, it wouldn't be easy given the odd UP logo shape (unless you can disguise the join using physical transitions in the model). But the idea is to make a shape or group the same size and shape as the shield, color it medium gray and then reduce the transparency slider so that it's basically invisible, but dulls out what's behind it.

An approach which would be easier - I use this a lot, on general principle just to get a dusty, faded look - is to make one big rectangular scrim that covers the whole side of the car.

5. WaveyDavey

Yes i use one or more square gradient shapes of different shades turned upside down running the full length of the vehicle to get the weathering done.

Now..... This is a very very silly noob question but what and where is the transparency slider????

There are two sliders under the projection option but neither of these changes the transparency of anything as such it only pushes or pulls something through the vehicle from one side to the other.... I've attached three pictures showing what moving these two sliders does.... Is this correct?

2021-02-25.jpg 2021-02-25 (1).jpg 2021-02-25 (2).jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  6. solicitr

While the projection sliders are very useful for all sorts of things, the transparency slider isn't one of them. In Change Colour, look at the slider underneath the Hue slider. It ranges from 255 (fully opaque) to 0 (completely invisible).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. WaveyDavey

Thanks for that........ I told you it was a silly noob question. :D:D:D

8. WaveyDavey

I think i've had some success........ Here is the original version and now my revised version with the dulled down logo. I used the hexagon shape using the same yellow as the boxcar. Then changed the transparency till it gave the logo a weathered/faded appearance but obviously without any effect to the surrounding yellow of the boxcar.

I then did the same on the logos on the ends but with the grey of the boxcar ends instead.

Original first and new version second..... 2021-02-24.jpg 2021-02-25 (3).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. solicitr

Excellent!