Adv. Fef-3 Cylinder Cocks

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by treid09, Nov 24, 2019.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hello, I am having an issue with Smokebox's FEF-3. I am starting to use the advanced version, but am running into an issue with the cylinder cocks. In the advanced version, the simulation recreates the filling up of the steam chest. In the start up instructions in the manual, it says to open the cylinder cocks, master and the regular, and crack the throttle, or regulator. Steam should then flow out of the cylinder cocks. When I try this, the steam chest fills all of the way, but the cylinder cocks don't expel steam. I restarted and tried skipping this step, and when I had moved the reverser forward and had the train going, after a bit, steam started coming out of the cylinder cocks. I am stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated and God bless.

2. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

It sounds like the locomotive starts with the reverser cutoff short enough that the cylinder admission valves are closed. To check this, put the reverser fully forward before cracking open the regulator. Another way to check is to wait for the steam chest to fill ("regulator" value in the F5 HUD near to 100%) and then gently, slowly move the reverser forward. At the point where the admission valves open, you'll suddenly see the steam spurt out.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hello Smokebox! Thank you so much for answering my question. I'll do what you suggested and let you know how it works out.

4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hello again, Mr. Rennie. I tried doing what you said and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much for answering my question and for making these incredible locomotives for TS. I read in the manual included with the FEF-3 about the Mighty 800 by William Kratville, and hope to get it so I can learn about all of the details of UP steam. I also wanted to say that I recently got to see Big Boy 4014 up close and personal recently, so I am really looking forward to your model for the sim. I've always loved steam, but after experiencing 4014 so close, I am hooked and want to learn everything I can. Your FEF-3 allows me to live the dream of working on the UP steam crew and really gives me that immersive feeling. The first time I got 844 up to 60 mph, I was thrilled! Thanks again, I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and God Bless.

5. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

Thanks very much treid09, I'm glad you're enjoying learning about the FEF-3 and experiencing it in the virtual world through the model I made for TS.

Merry Christmas to you too!

• Like Like x 1