PC Advice Required

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by creepingdeath1971, Dec 19, 2022.

1. creepingdeath1971

creepingdeath1971 New Member

I'm still wading through TSW1 getting achievements (not sure I'll 100% it, but I'm giving it a damn good go, 82% at the moment), but I'd like to get TSW2 before I get 3 and realised I can't get it on Steam anymore. I understand why, but was wondering if it's ok to ask what reputable key sites I can use to get a key for TSW2. I have it wishlisted on Humble Bundle but I'd like to pick it up a bit cheaper as I'll prolly spend a metric tonne on DLC (as I did getting all DLC for TSW1). Hope this is an allowable request.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

No actual experience with G2A but I understand they're reputable and they have a sale on at the moment so that might be a good place to look.

What would you expect to gain by buying TSW2 rather than TSW3 (other than it might be a cheaper way of picking up three routes which is a perfectly good reason)?

• Like Like x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Probably cuz tsw2 is better than 3 in some areas. You don't have tutorials you can't complete in tsw2 which is a big problem in tsw2 routes in tsw3 which means you can't get the complete tutorials in tsw3. You don't have the preservation crew bugs. New features also have bugs, etc. So if we wants to get all the achievements, tsw2 is better than tsw3 in terms of actually being able to complete the tutorials at least

• Like Like x 3
  4. creepingdeath1971

mmm I've had a look at G2A and I'm so sure about that site, lot's of bad reviews as it's just a "hub" it seems. Putting people who have keys to sell in contact with those wanting to buy. I'll wait till it comes up in a Humble bundle sale. As for reasons....pretty much what rennekton says. I don't have many games I can get close to 100% (especially ones with mp as I never bother with that malarky!) so if I can get TSW2 close to 100% then TSW3 a bit later I'll be happy. :)

5. rennekton#1349

Also do note that if you do buy tsw3 and transfer your profile over, most of your tsw2 achievements won't carry over, so you will basically have to redo lots of achievements such as the scenarios. You can of course start a new profile as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

Train Sim World 2 is abandonware dont waste your money on it. You dont need to buy it. I wish i never bought it in July, little did i know that tsw 3 was about to be released, and all the updates promised for TSW2 would come out for TSW3 first. 6 months later still waiting for the broken crap i bought to be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It still presents a value offer for anyone wanting the bundled routes. Likewise TSW2020, for that matter.

Cheers

8. JJTimothy

I bought TSW having decided it was coming along enough to be interesting, worth supporting and had a bright future just long enough before TSW2 came out, with the news that TSW now had no future at all, to be ineligible for a refund. That was TSW2020 so six routes and in a sale but it still annoys me. I bought TSW2 earlier this year not that long before TSW3 came out- even joked here that Dovetail was now free to announce TSW3 in a month or so. (That was in a sale too with Tees Valley and some extra loco's for less than the usual price of a route so less fussed.)

I shall be sure to mention it when I get interested enough in TSW3 to buy it so everyone knows that TSW4 is on the way.

I still prefer Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  9. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

Sad ain't it? I don't have 3, don't want 3 and that puts me in the same boat. However, once bitten twice shy; won't be buying any more form this crew.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

G2A is anything but reputable, give them a wide berth.

If you want to find a key seller with a solid reputation the folks behind https://isthereanydeal.com/ have a test they put sites through to ensure you are buying from a legit organisation. The list on the right of the site are their approved vendors. I'm not affiliated with the site in any way (did used to work for Green Man Gaming temporarily, who are on the legit list).

One thing to check when buying a key: make sure it's for the same PC platform as the one you already use (ie Steam, Epic or Windows store).

As far as buying older editions of TSW is concerned, it's a cost effective way of adding extra routes and locos to your collection. Unlike other games, when we release a new version we do everything we can to ensure that everything you have in your collection will still work.

[edited for clarity]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

And if it still doesn't work, despite all the promises it would be fixed? Too busy with the new thing and our old thing is left on the side, forgotten. That's all good, but we haven't forgotten how our routes still haven't been fixed, so why would I purchase another version? Have a happy Christmas, forgetting those of us who don't own 3, don't want 3, just want what we already own fixed. Alas.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. JJTimothy

I stand corrected. Perhaps I was conflating it with another site.

• Like Like x 1
  13. creepingdeath1971

Thanks for the replies (on both sides!). I had to do quite a bit of jiggery pokery on a few TSW1 routes that had issues and problems (downloading files to help etc). Are the TSW2/3 problems 100% broken or can some file editting/downloading be done to circumnavigate those issues?

14. rennekton#1349

Tsw2 should be fine for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  15. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

TSW2 runs better than TSW3 so you'll have a better time with it. Give DTG another few months to either complete optimisation on TSW3 (or see if they don't even bother fixing it) before diving into it. Yeah you'll miss out on the newest routes, but there's plenty of content in TSW2 to keep you entertained for a few years at least. Maybe by that time TSW4 will be out and will run well (maybe).

• Like Like x 3
  16. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Thanks for this bit of info. Since TSW2 had been removed from the MS Store, the only shot I had was via a key site. I found one, and now I have BKL, SPG and SKA added to my collection.

This is particularly true on my XSX.

• Like Like x 1