Allow Us To Change Fov

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Horizelux, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

For those who are unaware of what FOV is, it stands for Field Of View/Vision

Here's an example of high FOV (pictures taken in TS2021)

Train Simulator 02-03-2021 17_39_54.png

And this is how low FOV looks like. Train Simulator 02-03-2021 17_39_41.png
    (Source: My gallery)

As you may have noticed, the lower the FOV, the more the camera is zoomed in. Higher FOV is the total opposite.

TSW2 does not have an option to alter FOV. It would be a small yet useful addition to the game. Why would this be useful?

if you've seen the class 465 preview stream, you may have noticed that the chair seems too high. in the IOW class 483, due to the positioning of the speed gauge, you would have to bend down in order to read it, which disturbs the front view. All of these can be fixed, by allowing the player to choose a set FOV, instead of zooming in and out simultaneously.

Want to read the screen on the ICE without having to zoom in and out? Want to see more stuff without having to move your mouse? Want to feel the speed a little bit more? FOV is the answer to all of that.

If it's already in TS2021, I see no reason for it not to appear into TSW2. Your thoughts and feedback on the idea are always welcomed!

Edit: More examples of high, low and medium FOV!

This is "medium" FOV
    Train Simulator 02-03-2021 21_31_55.png

This is (very) low FOV. Makes reading dials and gauges a piece of cake!
    Train Simulator 02-03-2021 21_31_12.png

This is MAX FOV! Looks fantastic according to me, you can see everything!
    Train Simulator 02-03-2021 21_33_34.png

please consider this DTG!

Have an awesome day :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 21
  2. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Would be a great option to have in TSW2!

• Like Like x 1
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

As a person who plays ts2021 and has changed fov many times in that game, it should be a simple option to have in tsw2 especially if dtg won't give us adjustable seats in trains that would have them in reality

• Like Like x 2
  4. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Exactly! it's a lot easier for DTG to give one extra camera option instead of adding adjustable seats for all trains. Speaking of adjustable seats, the class 45 in NTP has them.. Why not for other rolling stock as well?

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

That is true with the class 45. I guess dtg are not consistent in the adjustable seats department

• Like Like x 1
  6. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

You can change it if you play on PC by download Unreal Engine Unlocker. It isn't ideal and causes zoom to be disabled, however its the only option we have until DTG decides to add it as an option.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. tallboy7648

Nor is the unreal engine unlocker on console

• Like Like x 1
  8. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

The fact they ship a PC 'game' without a fov slider is a slap in the face.

• Like Like x 3
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It’s worth knowing that the chances of FOV sliders on PS4/Xbox One would probably be 0, the FPS implications would probably be too severe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tallboy7648

In racing games like project cars and F1 2020 you can change the fov in cockpit cam (zoom in and out as well as raise the position of the camera, lower it and adjust the angle) and performance is not impacted whatsoever so I don't think that would be a problem

• Like Like x 1
  11. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The higher the field of view, the more assets will need to be rendered on-screen. If you are on PC, you can increase FoV with Unreal Unlocker and experience the performance drop yourself.

I do not know about Project Cars, but F1 2020 is not a very heavyweight game in terms of required processing power. It is very easy to achieve 200+FPS in that game on PC with medium hardware.

Cheers

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This would definitely be welcome by me. On some trains you seem to be sat miles away from the controls whereas on others maybe too close. However, zooming in makes everything slower, which just seems weird.

• Like Like x 3
  13. tallboy7648

You can also change the fov in Assetto Corsa Competizione on console with no performance problems. And that uses the same engine as tsw2. So I really don't think this would be a problem

14. Callum B.

That is great, and I am sure that the Assetto Corsa Competizone developers spent a lot of time optimising their game to run efficiently. If you do not know, racing games are usually some of the most lightweight games to run because detail in the nearby and distant scenery does not need to be so high as you will be travelling too fast to notice. But TSW is not Assetto Corsa. It is not fair to compare racing games with have a small map with many hidden visages (due to the frequent corners) to a slower-paced game like TSW with a much larger map and much longer rendering distances. Unreal Engine automatically hides whatever is not on-screen, including if it is blocked by something in the foreground, but when you have long stretches of straight track or trackside scenery, you can net a significant performance hit by expanding that field of view.

Regardless if a different game is not significantly impacted the increasing the FoV, the fact remains that TSW is. Therefore they will not add an FoV slider. I had asked about this in a roadmap stream before and the answer was, of course, concerns over memory usage.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  15. tallboy7648

Well then dtg needs to optimize the game then so when that's done, hopefully we can have fov because on some trains, the positioning of the seating is just odd. American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Sim has fov, fernbus has it as well as omsi and when i play it on my gaming laptop and adjust it, I don't have problems. So I hope dtg will optimize it because it makes no sense that other games that have bigger maps than some of the routes of this game allow the player to change the fov but not tsw2

• Like Like x 1
  16. Callum B.

I agree, DTG needs to work on optimisation. They are currently working very hard on memory optimisation, which they are eager to remind us of. It is my wish along with yours that we will have such basic niceties as an FoV slider in the future as optimisation progresses.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  17. slenderman7676RBLX

slenderman7676RBLX Member

Two years later and still no options to change FOV in vanilla TSW. Without having to resort to 3rd party tools/mods.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I tend to find the sweet spot for comfort on FoV on a 16:9 display to be around 90, as opposed to the commonly used 60-75 defaults a lot of games use. I expect that sweet spot to be higher for an ultrawide, and can confirm that even on Gen9, in the multitude of XBox games I play which have such an option, on some of the more demanding ones it can push the FPS below a smooth 60 on Series S if you go much higher than that (Though Series X handles it pretty well in a majority of games with the option, no matter how high you set it). It's another reason I'll often pick the 120FPS mode in games which have one, as then I can dial the FoV up without losing as much.

It is definitely a good option for any game to include of course, as there's a very big difference in how you experience 60 vs 100 depending on if you are sitting across the room from a TV, or sitting right in front of a monitor at your desk. The lower FoV will provide a more comfortable experience in the former setup, while the higher FoV will feel more natural in the latter, since in each case you can minimise things like motion sickness by getting it to match up to the proportions of your peripheral vision around the screen..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Using GodMode (which allows a much wider FOV range) shows that 90 is the default for TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Princess Entrapta

Yeah, TSW is just fine for me as is, though I know some people (who don't, to my knowledge, play TSW) who get motion sickness at anything less than 105.

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Yeah, that's because it subconsciously gets more immersive. The closer the horizontal FOV matches the angle of the triangle between the monitor's edges and your eyes, the more realistic the impression is. Things appear in the exact size they would if you were actually in that cab. That is depending on your monitor size and distance from it (the further away, the lower the FOV). There's online FOV calculators for almost every game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2023
  22. Princess Entrapta

Yep, as I said in my previous post about it being situational and an FoV slider being very useful for matching your peripheral vision based on your home screen setup, so as to avoid motion sickness.

Hence me advocating for it on console games, even where it's only an option to reduce FoV from the default, since that can help folks who don't have their console hooked up to a decent sized monitor at a desk like I do.

• Like Like x 1
  23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Absolutely agreed. This is mandatory for every game.

In the old days of Quake3 engine powered games we used console commands like "seta cg_fov 90" :)

24. matt245621#2075

matt245621#2075 Well-Known Member

TSW3 should have a FOV slider like seen on TSC Fernbus Bus Simulator and even COD if these games can do it and even adding it to your own like game TSC surely you can to it in TSW3. And I feel like some FOV'S are bad like in the 700 and the 377 trains.

• Like Like x 1
  25. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The FOV is 90 degrees on all trains, what you are referring to is the POV (point of view). That's where the camera is positioned.

Just looking to the side, I've compared the camera positions of the 377 and the 323. The 377 is much nearer to the dashboard, and the 323 has your head almost leaning on the back wall. This has nothing to do with the FOV. It would need being able to move the camera, not zoom it. For me, the 323 is not comfortable, I feel like I cannot reach the power lever, being seated that far in the back. 377 is more natural to me.

2023-07-07 07_44_00-Train Sim World 3®.png 2023-07-07 07_42_47-Train Sim World 3®.png

This is not a natural position, you'd have to have really long arms to reach the lever. (Of course, this is subjective, thus we need a camera adjustment option)
    2023-07-07 07_53_53-Train Sim World 3®.png

But just like the FOV, the camera should also be freely movable as in ETS2, so everyone can use their preferred position.

Please DTG, just give us this: :D
    20230707080013_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  26. matt245621#2075

matt245621#2075 Well-Known Member

But some people like the FOV to be like in the 323 or that far back and if Dovetail were gonna add the FOV slider people probably would put the FOV like it is in the 323 and if people wanted to they could leave it at the default 90 FOV.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

BR103 & 110 are crying for some LOS adjustment features. Driver´s position seems completely wrong. Too low, and too left. It gets worse in raining or snowing conditions. No way to drive these locos HUDless. How this escaped the "thourough testing procedures at DTG" is beyond me. (Uhm, maybe I don´t wanna know, time and all that ... )
    Such an old battle horse like the BR 155 have at least adjustable seat height. I think the devs in those ancient times still put some love into their products.

• Like Like x 1
  28. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

That's the reason I've started downloading the tools necessary for modding. Though I'm also thinking of getting TrackIR which solves the problem too (and also be very handy for ETS2 and X-Plane)