Am I Missing Something? Npt Nh01 Service

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DruidsNectar, Feb 2, 2021.

1. DruidsNectar

DruidsNectar Guest

I've been playing with train simulators since the MSTS days (well technically before that, anyone remember Southern Belle on the C64?). I bought TSW at release and was hugely disappointed by its awful performance and never really bothered with it much, sticking to TSX. However, TSW offered another depth of realism in the train simulator genre, the ability to get out of the cab and walk around. I tried TSW again in July with TSW2020 when it was fairly cheap. I still didn't like it, and vowed never to bother with TSW2 as it seemed like the start of a mean-spirited cash grab by DTG. However, TSW2 dropped significantly in price recently, and I couldn't resist. To my surprise TSW2 feels more polished, smoother, the HUD is more appealing etc.

One of my fascinations with simulators is their immersion, and their ability to replicate an accurate representation of the real world and all the things that go with it. Yes, I know, some people don't think games should get bogged down with tedious detail, but I like that aspect.

So, onto my problem. I've been playing the Northern Trans-Pennine route and decided to try my hand at the services. As I particularly enjoy freight operations over passenger services, I started off with the Class 08 services, and top of the bill the NH01 service.
    So, after a few attempts and not really succeeding due to the inky blackness of "spring clear" (thanks to the wonderfully inadequate game lighting), I found switching the season to summer clear and that provided sufficient light to see past the end of my virtually simulated nose.
    So off I go. As I'm a stickler for details and procedures, I like to do things right like marker lights on, no white lights to the rear, no red lights to the front, actually walking to and operating switch points etc.
    So, given that this service requires a lot of toing and froing, that means a lot of in and out of the cab, setting marker lights etc.
    The rub comes with the AI. Before I can get the first five vans in the siding that's designated as the drop off point, the AI has run a Class 08 into the same siding and blocked me from dropping the vans. I can't reach the trigger point to move the scenario. At this point I continuously get pestered by a message asking if I want to give up. The message gives no explanation as to why I would want to give up, and at first I assumed it was because I was taking longer than anticipated. I now believe the message appears because because I've not dropped the vans off in time for the AI Class 08 to pick up the dropped off vans, and essentially I have failed to meet an unknown deadline.

The description of the service says it should take 10 minutes to complete. I'm assuming that it also means that if not done within the time frame, you've missed some sort of deadline, but it isn't stated or even implied. The timetable/schedule in the game has no timings against any of the steps, which to me implies there is no time limit.
    If I'm doing things properly, i.e. setting marker lights, manually switching points etc., how am I supposed to complete this in 10 minutes? Am I missing something? Is it DTGs intention not to play TSW as a simulator, but as some kind of arcade game? It seems odd that DTG go to the lengths of adding such detailed features, only to largely ignore them in the timings of services/scenarios. They may as well have just simplified the whole affair by having the reverser position set the marker lights accordingly (not that I would want that).

Can anyone put me on the right track (sorry, couldn't resist)?

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

That message pops up if you're out of the cab seat for more than (I believe) 2 minutes, but it's like one of those things where it always appears when you don't want to give up the service and never appears when you do. The idea being that you may want to drive a service, say, half way and then give it up and have the AI take over (which is what happens when you click yes). Nice idea, but arguably not very well executed.

I think even on untimed services, you may lose your path if you're taking too long (as would happen in reality), although I'm not sure on that front. I shall give the service a go myself and see what's up.

3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

20210203124650_1.jpg
    I have completed the service as you said (albeit doing the points through the map because I'm lazy) and had no problems with another train being in the way (although I did go through an engine shed's closed door :D ).
    I think the 10 minutes is assuming you're not messing around with the lights and doing the points through the map, and you know what you're doing (which I didn't, hence why I went through the shed).
    May I ask how long it took you to do the service?

4. DruidsNectar

DruidsNectar Guest

Thanks for taking the time to try it out. I note that you took 24 minutes, albeit you may not have been familiar with the layout, etc. Its certainly more than the 10 minutes quoted on the description. Regardless though, this isn't a racing sim, so I would hope there was leeway for taking some time. This seems to be borne out by the fact you got a gold medal for your efforts, although I'm not entirely sure what determines the gold medal.

As you said, you didn't set lights or manually change the points, and there are a fair few to change which on foot takes some effort, and would have added considerably more on to your time.

When you say you went through the shed, at what point was that? By the time you have picked up the 10 wagons (two five wagon collections) the most direct route to the stop/reverse point is not via the shed. The AI turns up on the siding where you're supposed to drop the first five wagons, and the objective marker is right up against the shed door. The AI essentially blocks you from getting to the marker.

I'm not sure how long I took because once the AI blocks my path, there is no option but to quit, and you don't get a summary that includes the time taken. I can't force the AI out of the way (I tried) and I can't take control of the AI loco, the controls don't respond as they should (brakes release, throttle provide movement, etc.).

I'll have to have yet another crack at it, and see what time it is when if or when I end up quitting. I may even try just standing around and watching the AI and get some timings of them too.

Either way, this service seems to be flawed, and without a better explanation or guide, it's pretty disappointing.