Amsterdam To Almere & Amersfoort

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Christiaan, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

So today I am proposing yet another (very complicated) Dutch route. It is 92 km long and has at least 36 services per hour ranging from 30 min. to an hour and includes depots used at the end of many services. An overview of the route: metromapmaker (4).png (Amersfoort Vathorst should be Schothorst)
    The big circles are where intercity services stop and the little circles for the stopping services

This route includes almost every service which runs on this route, which are:
    International services:
    - "
    IC Berlin" Amsterdam Centraal - Amersfoort centraal once in two hours

Intercity services:
    - IC Schiphol - Amersfoort Schothorst 1 per hour (full service)
    - IC Schiphol - Amersfoort Centraal 1 per hour
    - IC Schiphol - Almere Centrum 4 per hour
    - IC Amsterdam Centraal - Amersfoort Centraal 2 per hour
    - IC Amsterdam Centraal - Almere Centrum 2 per hour (full service)

Stopping services: (Spr stands for Sprinter)
    - Spr Hoofddorp - Hilversum 2 per hour
    - Spr Hoofddorp - Almere Oostvaarders 2 per hour (full service)
    - Spr Amsterdam Centraal - Amersfoort Schothorst 2 per hour (full service)
    - Spr Amsterdam Centraal - Almere Oostvaarders 2 per hour

Freight services: (mostly coal, steel and oil/chemicals I believe)
    - Amsterdam Centraal - Amersfoort Centraal a few per day

Rolling stock
    Common used Intercities are the "VIRM" and the "Koploper". Commen used Sprinters (stopping services) are the "SLT" and the "SNG".

VIRMm: (m stands for modernised)
    [​IMG]

Koploper: (old Intercity which is being replaced in a few years)
    [​IMG]

SLT:
    [​IMG]

SNG:
    [​IMG]

Length of the route
    Now this is a very important factor for DTG, so let me give some options for how to make the route shorter with it's possible consequences. The route is in total 92 km long, which is quite long compared to the existing routes.
    - If you would remove the part from Hilversum to Amersfoort, the route gets 19 km shorter. But, by doing that you remove the end/begin stations for 2 services and reduce the journey time for 4 services by 15 minutes.
    - You could also remove the part Almere Centrum - Almere Oostvaarders, shortening the route by 6,7 km and reducing journey time for 2 services by 10 minutes.
    - Another solution would be to remove the Amsterdam Centraal - Diemen part, this would save a lot of modelling time (city centre and a huge station with many yards) and it shortens the route by 7,5 km. But the impact is big, removing 2 intercity services and having a weird end/begin station for 2 Sprinter services.

Btw, I know this (near same) route has been proposed before, but I figured making a new thread with some new info would be best!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. DEXCON

DEXCON Member

Yea I would love to see this route! :)

3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Very detailed suggestion , good idea

6. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

7. cyrill.kroonstuiver

I must say, this is probably one of my favorite suggestions.
    Also now that Clinchfield is released with branches, showing it's possible.
    Leaving Hoofddorp in is perfect cause it grants access to a depot, as well as Schiphol Airport and the tunnel, while the few branching off points makes room for some combining and disconnecting of passenger services where the A and B ends go different directions, or join together. Giving DTG a great new mechanic to test out. Although this shouldn't be that different if you make detaching and attaching services it's own small service in the timetable.

Anyhow, great suggestion!

8. cyrill.kroonstuiver

Also, comes to mind
    I'm sorry for posting 3 times in less than 15 minutes, but
    This addition would be almost tailor made perfect for the new mechanic that got announced today, "Rush Hour", focusing on these absolute insane timetables where every minute counts, and delays are felt on the whole route. With I think only Japanese routes fitting that idea better.

9. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Agree on the rush hour thing. Even here in the somewhat less urban east (for which I made a suggestion) we have more than one passenger train in each direction every 15 minutes, with freight coming on top of that. The Netherlands is a true train commuter country and would be a perfect fit. The amount of Dutch suggestions and the high demand for it showing in surveys makes me confident DTG will at least try, though I don't think licensing should be a problem.