Anderston Station (argyle Line)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cyclone, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Suburban Glasgow came out a couple weeks ago, with the northern Dalmuir terminus of the Argyle Line but ending at Exhibition Centre. Meanwhile, West Coast Main Line already exists taking us to Motherwell, Larkhill, and beyond, but terminating in the north at Glasgow Central, which I am aware is a different station than Glasgow Queen Street (I've been researching the SUG DLC for scenario videos so know a lot more about Scottish rail than I ever expected to at this point in my life).

There's one problem to solve to facilitate a full run of the Argyle Line: the creation of Anderston Station. Going east from Exhibition leads to the Suburban Glasgow map end towards Anderston, which if created would get us the connection to Glasgow Central and continuing to Argyle Street in the WCML map. For the creation of one track and a wee bit of scenery, we can have the full Argyle Line route simulated in Train Simulator - provided Rivet also gives the OK to merge the route with DTG's route. To save resources, parts beyond Dalmuir can be cut, and also Glasgow Queen Street and everything on the Springburn side of the line; in the south, I'd keep it intact through Carstairs and then clip beyond that to Carlisle (since that is the apparent southern terminus of the Argyle). I think Milngavie remains on the Argyle Line, also, in the north on the Suburban route.

Is this something someone wants to take on? Would be a great merged route, and only one station needed to pull it off; it's a bit of a shame that Rivet didn't in fact include the station since it's literally now the missing link. Provided assets are not custom it can also be used in the Workshop.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe rivet terms of use prohibit amendment and publishing of their works in any form

3. Cyclone

So without permission from them, even merging the route with another route would be illegal as it modifies the end of the route. I guess it would involve seeking permission by anyone wanting to do it, then.

4. ARuscoe

Merging the route is fine but publishing it would be the illegal bit
    Using any asset generated by Rivet (even a single tree) is covered by their license agreement

5. Cyclone

Wait a second.

If you use a tree from Suburban Glasgow in your custom route, that's running afoul of terms and conditions if published on the Workshop? Are they really THAT restrictive with it? Why the hell is it available as a Steam download if they don't allow Workshop use? They might as well say you can't publish scenarios on the Workshop, then.

6. ARuscoe

If you take "their assets", package them up in your own route and publish it then yes
    If you use their asset, but have their route as a requirement that's different

7. Cyclone

So I did ask Rivet about Anderston and adding it. They (obviously) don't plan to, but it sounds like as long as it's only on the Steam Workshop and not on a third-party site, it's allowed. Which is exactly what I would like to see. So if the underground route exists within West Coast Main Line North, or if someone has the chops to add it through Glasgow Central to Rutherglen, I'd love to see those routes connect. I'll even offer to do a video if you were to create a stopping service from, say, Milngavie through to Larkhall to show off the merged route.

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If this follows the paradigm of previous Thomson/Rivet routes, it will be difficult to move or change anything as most items are made non selectable (unless you first unpack the ap file then edit the relevant bin file entry for each item, with RW Tools).