PC Another Console To Support Vs Pc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Nov 29, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’ve seen a few more articles cropping up about an Xbox series x and ps5 pro.
    There’s rumours of (forgive me if I’ve got this wrong) and rx7700.

There’s also rumours that 60fps gaming won’t last on the current 9th gen and they’ll be locked 30fps as developers start pushing console more (Arkham knight) being one.

This has made me wonder how much life 8th gen will have…..

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I would assume 8th gen would still be supported for a while since not every game is graphically heavy that would make the 8th gen not run well. It might not run as well but if it works, it works. Tsw can still run on 8th gen decently on the routes. Might get really low performance in some areas but at least you can still play it lol.
    Obviously games are getting more detailed and such but eventually the older consoles can't be supported forever.

3. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Yep there’s been a glut of 4k 30 fps games (that are rarely even true 4k), with 60 fps gameplay downgraded to 1080p. It makes a mockery of the whole next-gen thing, and one of the reasons I recently hung up my gamepad and went back to my PC roots.

4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't really play in 4k anyways in my games. I will take more fps over some extra minor graphical fidelity

• Like Like x 3
  5. Compared to the pc, 9th gen was out of date before launch.

• Like Like x 4
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The Xbox Series S seems to be. I'm surprised it's less powerful than a Xbox One X

7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

If the updates good I might be tempted, much as i love my pc I miss gaming on the sofa with a big tv and dont want to scorch my retinas changing from my ultrawide to a full size tv on my office desk

8. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a bonus, indeed. TSW on a 55" Screen is something you´d never abandon once you´ve made the experience.

Nevertheless, I´m considering to have a powerful PC back because of the layers, and especially for being impressed what the modders can do. Nothing prevents you to split HDMI from the PC to the big screen. Plug in a wireless keyboard & mouse plus one of these adjustable laptop lap tables and there you go from your sofa, no?!

9. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I read some days ago that Sony plans to launch the PS6 in 2028 at the earliest. At that time there will certainly be a TSW4 or 5. Nothing is made to last forever. But consoles are still a cheaper alternative to much more expensive high-end gaming PCs, which if you don't constantly upgrade them also have an expiry date.

8th gen will be supported until the global supply issues of 9th gen consoles are resolved. I think, in 2 or 3 years at the latest, when the vast majority of players have arrived at 9th gen, 8th gen will no longer be supported by any developer studio. The best lure to get people to switch is to only let their favorite game run on the new generation. That could mean that in 2 years or so TSW4 will only run on at least 9th gen. ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  10. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Not sure how true the rumors are, but frankly I don't think it matters how true they are, it's almost certainly going to happen if you think about it a little. Consider that just a few days ago there were articles talking about the fact that Microsoft and Sony aren't expecting next gen machines till 2028. If they're gonna wait that long for the next gen a mid-gen upgrade like they did last time would be a likely bet. Because lets be honest, no matter how good the hardware is, eight years on the same machine is a eternity in tech.
    It's gonna really gonna depend on what genre you're talking about. If you're talking say a open world game like GTA6 then 60fps might not be realistic to expect, it's hard to get a open and detailed world like that working at a consistent 60. Now if you're talking a game like Tekken or Call of Duty that's probably much more likely to stay at 60, or maybe even aim for 120fps. They're set in smaller areas, and aren't crammed with cars and characters all over the place, making it easier to target those numbers. And with them being quick and having a heavy competitive focus, more responsive controls are gonna be much higher priority.

Even Switch games sometimes prioritize for performance, Splatoon 3 for example came out a few months ago, and that runs at a incredibly consistent 60fps. Bayonetta 3 also came out recently, and that too targets 60fps, albeit with exceptions, and with some performance issues from what I hear. If Switch can still push out games at 60fps in 2022 there will still be plenty of examples on PS5 & Xbox Series, hell, might even see a few more from PS4 & Xbox One.

11. I don't even know where Microsoft are at with the series s? Forcing developers to ponce about making a AAA game run on a lemon! What would you rather.. spend 300 is it? On a series s or spend less on a used one x! If your a bit hard up that is.

12. I got a dongle off Scamazon for a fiver which enables me to use a wireless xbox controller on the pc. And use WiFi to zap the pc screen to the TV downstairs.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

First off from everything I've read and watched if all you care about is 1080p the S is more than powerful enough for next gen titles. Little point in even getting a Series X if you don't have 4K screens, at least at this point in its life cycle. Calling it a lemon is like calling a decade old Ford in good mechanical shape with low mileage one. Just because someone doesn't have a Tesla doesn't mean they drive a lemon.

Now, as for comparing the One X to the Series S to my understand the former has a better GPU, but has a worse CPU & SSD. It also lacks support for next gen technologies like Raytracing, and DirectStorage, which the former lacks. So to say the Xbox One X is just better isn't true, you're ignoring a lot of specs and features in that comparison which skews it in favor of the Series S.

• Like Like x 1
  14. If you're gonna play in HD then what's the point of buying the one s? Ray tracing becomes pointless at this stage. From what I've read the series s upscales to 4k whereas the one x does 4k it also does hd.

And a decade old Ford in good mechanical shape isn't a lemon, especially if its got rS on it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Support for next gen games, which One X lacks, and again, and the improved CPU, SSD, and DirectStorage. Also while it might technically hit 4K, I doubt that Xbox One X can really hit those higher resolutions in anything but fairly basic titles. Even the next gen machines are compromising on resolution for performance pretty often, the One X is gonna have even bigger struggles. Just because it says it can hit 4K, doesn't mean it will do it often, the PS3 was marketed as a true HD machine, but couldn't hit 1080p in most games.
    And? That's literally my point, you're calling perfectly usable machines lemons for no good reason.

16. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of this. There are crucial metrics and featuresets on which the One X cannot possibly compare to Series S. If nothing else it's worth it for all the games that run at 60fps on it, even if the resolution's dropped from 4k to 1080p vs the One X, the fact remains it's capable of pulling that off, whereas all the One X was restrained to doing with that horsepower was pushing higher pixel counts, and loading fancier textures which in most cases of Gen9 native ports of Gen8 games, the Series S does too, it's only really restrained when running in backcompat mode and it has to rely on the One S versions of titles.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. It's pretty obvious what I'm trying to say, you can throw all the latest tech you want at me but at the end of the day the series s ain't much better than a one x so why buy it? Compared to the Series x it's a lemon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Come on here calling the series s a lemon got people writing essays in its defence. I ain't got that much against it, seriously.

19. Princess Entrapta

It's cheaper than a second hand equivalent PC graphics card is on ebay, meaning it's affordable to vastly more people than the consoles that cost twice as much. It's priced where the XBox 360 sat back in 2005. It sets a reasonable low end expectation for devs to ensure their software scales to this gen, with the Series X and PS5 in the middle with your 3070s and the sort, and the likes of a 4090 at the upper end.

20. Princess Entrapta

LOOOOL I am gonna assume you mean Gotham Knights, since Arkham Knight from seven years ago runs WAY better than this badly-made successor on console (And absolute trash on PC, something they never fixed)

That sure ain't a game that "pushes" the consoles XD
    XBox 360 graphics, PS3 framerates, in 2022.
    That's like worrying that Uwe Boll is gonna be a trendsetter in cinema XD
    It's a major outlier of a horrifically badly made mess, and a masterclass in how not to make games.

Even the features of the RTX 4090 like DLSS3 aren't a strong enough crutch to compensate for its failings.

21. Yeah I get it, if you can't afford a series x there's always the series s but you could save your penny's for a bit longer and get a series x. Out of all the people I know that own a series s only bought it cause the series x was out of stock at the time. They been regretting it ever since. One of my mates constantly complaining on warzone cause he's always lagging out and getting shot.

22. Princess Entrapta

Never had any issues with multiplayer lag in any games on my Series S except when a game has had server-side issues, but then, I've got fibre.

(Actually, correction, I sometimes get it at my partner's house, the crappy BT router there keeps dying like once a day. But then, there's my main reason for having a Series S. It fits in one of the side pockets of my backpack when I go to stay away from home for a week. I might actually die if I had to carry my Series X all that way and back)

23. Princess Entrapta

I absolutely 100% pick the modes targeting up to 120fps on console games which allow them. Generally on my XSX, I get performance in the 90s which looks great with VRR switched on, and matches my laptop's averages.

I use 1440p screens, so I will always gladly trade the supersampling effect from 4k rendering in many Series X titles for more frames.

24. He's got 150mbps cable, that should be more than enough. Every now and then you hear him screaming down the microphone but don't hear anyone else complaining on the server.

25. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

It isn't less powerful - significantly more in fact - just is capped at 1440p by design. The Xbox One X can play games in 4K (and ironically 4K patches for the Xbox One X don't work on the Series S) but the 4K experiences on the Xbox One X have not aged that well, with the 4K either not actually being 4K or being very compromised. Forza Motorsport 7 was a 4K60 experience on the Xbox One X but suffered when it comes to anti-aliasing, detail and lighting, which were far worse than GT Sport from the same year (checkerboard 4K on the PS4 Pro) and the upcoming Forza Motorsport (8) which will be released for the Series S.

• Like Like x 1