Another Update For West And Somerset Railway, Freight Activities, Small Deliveries

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gabe_1.0, May 19, 2022.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

Hi,

WSR really begs to have some freight activities that would involve shunting, and some delivery work such as "tools", "newpapers" or other random stuff that fits in the vintage vans from the BR heavy Freight Pack DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Wouldn't fit in with the "diesel gala" preserved route theme of the DLC.
    If the route was set "as in use" then yeah...

3. Gabe_1.0

This line had freight activities on it IRL, what do you mean it wouldn't fit in?

4. ARuscoe

As part of the diesel gala?

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Because it's represented here in preserved/heritage state, not prior to closure.

The only freight which operates on the line would either be demo runs or engineering trains, the latter probably using modern wagons. And there are no suitable steam locos in TSW to take the line back to a retro era.

6. Gabe_1.0

That's true however, the developers allowed all the diesels from all other lines, Tees Valley, Pennies to be present doing passenger runs. Why not freight activities two?

7. OldVern

Because there is no current real life precedent. Engineering trains are not going to run on public operating days and there is not much entertainment interest in running a train out at 20 MPH, going into a T3 possession and sitting there for 6 hours until the worksite has finished with you.

8. ARuscoe

For me the answer would be speed limits...
    I'm sure when the line was operational there would be higher than 25mph allowed on the line

9. OldVern

I recall reading somewhere (think it might have been the ignoring speed limit thread) that the maximum linespeed in GWR/BR days was 40 MPH, so still a bit of a trundle.

10. ARuscoe

I have wondered if it's possible in TSW to have dynamic or changeable track speeds. In TSC you apply the track limits to the track itself within the scenario variables (allowing for TSRs etc) and if it IS possible then you could indeed up the limit to "line speed" and go back in time.
    Other than that I have no issue with the concept other than it is outside of the setting of the DLC

11. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The GCR will often run freight trains during galas to add to the atmosphere, It's possible the WSR do it from time to time as well.

12. Dath Vater 208

Dath Vater 208 Active Member

DB BR 612 from Tharandter Rampe route have higher speed limits. Sometimes you can pass 120 km/h sign and have speed limit of 140km/h. This is due to the tilting feature. It even has a special system that tells driver about current speed limit that can be even 20km/h higher than track speed limit.

13. ARuscoe

That's not quite the same. I'm talking about line speed not controlled which on german routes is signal controlled

14. OldVern

And most UK Heritage railways are bound by law and the Light Railway Order to a maximum speed of 25 MPH, to ease certain safety requirements and decrease the likelihood of a serious incident should something go wrong.

15. ARuscoe

Yeah. I was talking about possibly being able to change the track speed limit so then "retro routes" could be changed easily enough to steam era routes, with appropriate speed limits

• Like Like x 1