Anti Aliasing In Tsw2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ArtFart, Mar 21, 2021.

1. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

Hi guys,

So I am having major issues with my TAA in TSW2, with only a few Engine.ini tweaks and dx12 enabled. It happens regardless of these settings/tweaks and will happen from 50% scaling all the way up to 200%

With my screen percentage at 110%, with a 980ti and Ryzen 5 3600. I have the ingame AA set to TAA and when moving everything looks fairly smooth, apart from the fences and sometimes the power lines. But when stopped it's a completely different experience. Everything is majorly jagged and very very twitchy, switching to FXAA makes this less but when moving the exact same happens, super twitchy and jagged.

Is there anything I can do externally or internally to fix the TAA so it's normal when stopped and maybe a bit better when moving?

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/SaA6HBN
    Surely this isn't normal? Anyone else have this or just me?
    This is on the Great Western "Down the Line" mission at London Paddington, I briefly tested the London Underground and it seemed to be a bit better.

So after a clean reinstall etc I have found the problem, but not solved it. The game over analyses the train after 5ish seconds and therefore creates the extremely jittery effect. the only way to reset this is to change the AA to FXAA then back to TAA or to start moving. It doesn't happen to any other trains apart from the one you looked at.

So, I have semi-fixed the problem. All you need is Reshade and the TAA effect. Apply the TAA effect and keep it to around 45-47 for the first value. The difference is very large, and it provides a much better experience. This experience is obviously better if you scale the game to a high resolution, to the point where the effect is almost completely gone.

Before:
    https://imgur.com/a/PS4eMBr
    After:
    https://imgur.com/a/fQyp6kI

That's with around 130% scaling, at 200% the effect is barely noticeable. I have yet to see any side affects and it barely effects your FPS if at all. This right now is the best fix we have.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  2. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I also have this issue and I think it´s caused by the nature of TAA. It´s not good to handle reflections (what causes the effect you see and the ugly reflections effect on the ICE windshield) and also creates ghosting effects when you look at a static object which has a moving background behind, such as the bars at the american locomitves steps when the engine is moving or the trackside boards when seen from the cab just before passing them.

It´s not caused by DX12 nor DX11 modes (happens in both) and at least I don´t know any tweaks to solve that.

Cheers

3. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

Yep, we really need a statement from DTG as to what we can do/whether or not they will fix it. It's not something that should be happening in a Triple A game that's been out for almost a year now.

4. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

There is not much they can do , you might see some improvements next engine update but the issues of TAA are down to the deferred renderer used in UE4 and most game engines these days.

As for TAA artifacts like you mentioned around windshields ect this has nothing do with reflectivity these artifacts will be more pronounced based on the contrast of the objects due to the way TAA takes samples from the current and previous frames hence ghosting.

btw TSW is hardly a AAA game it has the budget of the catering department of AAA studios lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have been able to stop the flickering while the camera is not moving by using these commands at my 3440x1440p resolution. It's possible that these settings will need to be tweaked but it might work for you as well. Note that although the flickering is now absent in the exterior camera, it is still present in the cab (albeit reduced) because the locomotive cabs rock ever so slightly while idling.

Code:
    r.TemporalAASharpness=2.0
    r.TemporalAASamples=4
    r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.2
    r.TemporalAASamples is the key one here to fiddle with, but all of them work to improve TAA quality and reduce ghosting, etc.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

Hi,

I added these to my Engine.ini file and tested them with a few different values, nothing seemed to change and the flickering on the reflections of the GWE trains was still ridiculous. Turning down SSR to 0 eliminates the issue but also gets rid of the reflections mostly.

7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

r.TemporalAASamples has possible values of 0 through 64. I would try lower values like 16, 8, 6, 4, 2, to see if you can find a setting that works for you. Again, I suspect that the correct setting will depend on your resolution. @hightower (who is no longer on these forums) reported that a setting of 2 worked for him on his 4K monitor.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Running with supersampling (screen percentage over 100) definitely helps with flickering of all sorts. Doesn't cure it, but it helps.

9. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

So I tried 2 to 16 and there was practically 0 difference in the anti-aliasing. 4+ created more issues with the surrounding wires and edges and 2 yielded the best results but there was still major issues with the reflections after about a second of looking at the train while idle in exterior view. This was all done at 120+% screen, GWE class 166 on the Down the Line mission. Interestingly, in the free cam mode you can see the other idle trains are not jittering, yet as soon as I go into them they jitter and the train I got out of is no longer jittering.

10. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

It also seems to be worse while looking at the train at an angle

11. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

My AA issues are not with the windshield, rather the actual trains

12. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I've tested some settings yesterday. 200% screen percentage ('uncompressed) looks like primal-intended in 2017.
    I've watched some TSW-beta videos too, just to compare.

TSW limits the possibilities of UEngine because of ekhm fps.
    This is all about performance. I hope the next updates (to a higher version of UEngine) bring some improvements. BR

• Like Like x 1
  14. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

So, I have semi-fixed the problem. All you need is Reshade and the TAA effect. Apply the TAA effect and keep it to around 0.045-0.047 for the first value. The difference is very large, and it provides a much better experience. This experience is obviously better if you scale the game to a high resolution, to the point where the effect is almost completely gone.

Before:
    https://imgur.com/a/PS4eMBr
    After:
    https://imgur.com/a/fQyp6kI

That's with around 130% scaling, at 200% the effect is barely noticeable. I have yet to see any side affects and it barely effects your FPS if at all. This right now is the best fix we have.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  15. ninjatrek2891

ninjatrek2891 New Member

I've no TAA effect in my ReShade. Can I get that somewhere?

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Either (A) just turn on TAA in game settings; (B) turn it on in your graphics card's control panel, or (C) include the command r.PostProcessAAQuality=6 in your engine.ini file.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1