Any News On Hma Layer On Console?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FD1003, Dec 8, 2020.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

HMA is on discount at 20% on the XBOX store for a week starting from now, because of that, I'd like to ask a question to you guys that watch the DTG's streams, do they have any updates or news about the layers on console? I'm still at "it's a high priority but we can't promise it will be done" because of that and the fact that we can't use the BR423 on SKA I am not buying that route now so that maybe in the future will get fixed.

But if there are news about both of those question that I missed by not watching the streams could please write them down here, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Nope they said no update at the moment. It's also on sale for PS4 which prompted the question on last weeks HMA stream

3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im not thinking of buying it until it gets sorted. then ill probably wait until the sales come around again

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I would certainly recommend buying it whilst discounted. The extra layers may never come to console, but IMO the route is still fun and offers plenty to do without them. Of course I want the extra layers where possible, but the route is still playable without them - and good value whilst discounted. Especially if you also make a saving on the wallet top up.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As it is dependent on core improvements, the ability to have all layers enabled is a long way off, if it is even possible. The latest is that they are also looking at other options, which presumably is the ability to select which layers are active at any one time. As that will require a UI artist (hen’s teeth) and possibly some of the core work anyway, that's unlikely to come soon either.

I’m still weighing up whether to buy it without the layers but I won’t be buying it at the moment, I’m going to give it more time. I’ve got plenty of other stuff to be getting on with even though I do want the route. I’m also waiting for a lot of fixes for the stuff I currently own and I’m reluctant to buy any more half useable content while I’ve got so much unplayed content waiting already.

There is the roadmap update later today, so maybe have a look on that. If there are any updates on the situation they will be on that and they might talk about it in the roadmap stream tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Nope, I saw with my own eyes the huge difference watching the DoStos and freights pass by instead of the usual Talent in SKA, so if I buy HMA it either has to have all its layer active at the same time or offer me the option to use the 423 on SKA, until one or both of those things actually gets released I'll be happy to buy it at full price.

If there are no news on the matter than I'll settle for the BR155 (which I had to but at full price damn it).

Anyway thank you all for the help, looks like I'll skip this one and wait for LGV

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  7. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I already own it on PS4 and even without all the layers, there is normal S-Bahn and ICE traffic on the route. So it doesn't feel quite empty, it feels more like SKA when it was first released wtih TSW 2. We also got all the layers later with the release of the Preserved Collection stuff. Which is more noticeable on current gen consoles is the sometimes stuttering frame rate at the large train yard areas in Munich. On SKA and other routes it feels more smoothly. That maybe the other reason why work on the core engine is a necessary requirement.

8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's the point, that update was so huge for me and for my enjoyment on SKA, to the point that I am happier to be able to only travel from Köln to Aachen (because if you go towards Köln it's a guaranteed crash) rather than giving up the extra layers... I would not like to pay 23€ to get that level of services and traffic. For me to consider that route it must be at a much larger discount than 20%...
    I'd say I would only pay 17/20€ for the current HMA, also I don't like that past Mammendorf is ICE only,one of my favourite things on the TS HMA was looking at the regionals and freights on the parallel slower tracks, so that's missing as well...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  9. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

... this! I'm feeling exactly the same, in fact, I only played the scenarios on SKA before the update and no timetable services at all.
    I even waited for RRO to arrive because I would have missed the S-Bahn services :D

I remember about twelve years ago I was railfanning in Munich for a couple of hours. I went through that material recently and counted 40+ different locomotives and trains in less than 3 hours of time... so being left with only two of them wouldn't convince me at all.

Quite strange - my will to buy it would go from a 100% no to a 100% yes within seconds if the layers would be included... :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Yes it does change a lot. Yesterday I took the squeaky 146.2 with Dostos for a spin on HMA as regional service and that was really cool. You stop on alot of station on the second half, where the S-Bahn does not go anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yep exactly, the latter half of the route is wasted without the additional layers.

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just as long as you don’t expect it to happen. They’ve promised to look at it, but they haven’t guaranteed it’ll ever work.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Right. There is only the special scenario where you go half way and back from Augsburg. But that is just not the same...

14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

If I was expecting it to happen I would have bought the route now that it was on sale...

• Like Like x 1