Anyone Else Think That

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FallenAngel00me, Nov 8, 2022.

1. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

The ps5 version of TSW3 looks inferior to the ps5 version of TSW2?

The resolution doesn't hit 4k and the framerate struggles.

If you can, play the Series X version of TSW3 and there's a big difference in picture quality. I'd switch, but all my TSW2 dlc is playstation.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Tsw3 on PlayStation 5 plays horrible. Stuttering. Cartoon trees. Horrible lighting. Stopped playing ages ago. I play Ps4 version of tsw2 which runs pretty smoothly. Optimization is needed on ps5 and nothing is being done.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I don’t find it terrible but it definitely needs more work on optimization.

How do you know what your resolution is hitting?

I can see a big difference when I drop it down to 1080p in the settings, so its definitely better than 1080p but I can't find a setting to display what its actually running at. I wish we had a FPS counter too. You can see for yourself, if you go into the game settings you can enable HD (1080p) and the game immediately gets fuzzier and things farther away become a blurry mess.

Visuals to me are as good or better than TSW2. Performance seems similar when you compare the same routes. For example you can't compare SEHS TSW2 route to the TSW3 one because the clouds etc are different.

For TSW2 routes I didn't notice a big change, I didn't find TSW2 was performing amazing in the last few months either. German routes are currently better on TSW3 because the last patch fixed the Dosto FPS drop (which is still there on TSW2).

Biggest issue I have on TSW3 PS5 is sort of microstutters you see mostly on TSW3 routes (especially high speed routes where its noticable). FPS in general seems ok but with some drops in busy stations with lots of traffic (had that issue on TSW2 as well).

Definitely room for improvement but I did feel like it got a bit better last patch (especially German routes that were plagued with low FPS when Dostos were around, which is pretty much constantly). TSW3 is definitely the most intensive game I have on PS5, even in the menus I can hear the coil whine buzz that PS5s only usually get in high intensity games.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  4. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

If you have a keyboard connected to your PS: just press F3.

5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I play TSW 3 on a PS5 and it looks 4K to me - especially on my new LG C2 TV. The game takes way too long to load initially, but once the initial load is complete, the rest loads relatively quickly. There are stutters and the occasional lag (most notably on SEHS Extended), but the game is definitely playable. Can there be performance improvements - hell yeah!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks! It works.

I tested it really fast last night. So far what I’ve noticed on my PS5 is that generally in most running situations (for example leaving Ashford on SEHS) the FPS are pretty consistently good - 50-60fps.

When the game has “microstutters” (that seem to affect all platforms) it seems to be when FPS drop to like 25-30 for one or two seconds. Not a consistent bad FPS but it’s enough of a fast drop to produce the micro stutter and be noticeable.

Areas where FPS seem to be overall lower is busy stations. One of the ones that felt the worst to me was London Victoria at rush hour so I loaded that and it seems to be 25-30 (which is better than I thought).

I will keep playing with it running to get a better idea of overall PS5 performance. I want to test Wurzburg tonight since that’s another area I felt slowdowns when there is lots of AI around.

7. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Did a couple of runs earlier on SEHS and was getting these 'micro-stutters' in long dark tunnels, just as many in fact as when I was out of the tunnels in the thunder and lightning storm of the run. It's weird.

*Edited to add, this is on PS5.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  8. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Some more testing on PS5 with the FPS counter:

Dresden-Riesa: did a run using the ICE3 across the entire route. The game actually runs at a pretty consistent 60fps on the route. It drops down to 45-50 at some of the busier stations but overall good FPS. That said it still has the microstutters which make it feel less fluid than it should for such high FPS.

Kassel-Wurzburg: just spawning into a service starting at Wurzburg at a busy time (ICE886) gives me probably the lowest FPS in the game so far, even worse than London Victoria. 17-25 FPS at the station. That said there are at least a dozen AI or stationary trains around me. Once I leave the station it’s about 30fps through the city, and up to 40 by the time I hit the first tunnel leaving Wurzburg. The route seems to generally be about 40-45fps outside of the stations.

9. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

I've played both ps5 and series x version of tsw3. Same route, same service, same weather. The series x version is much crisper. Noticeable by eye.