Ap Waggonz Class 313 Emu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Apr 8, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I finally had a go at driving the AP Waggonz Class 313 EMU.

Definitely one to check the manual, as a little idiosyncratic compared to normal AP fare.

First, there's no switching on the master key, or loco style AWS change end switch. When you load the EMU, you have to press F to allow the reverser to be put into neutral (thereafter it can be used normally).

But as it is dual power mode, it doesn't start with pantograph up, but instead needs to be set for third rail or OLE. So, for OLE, you have to flip open the cover, press the button to raise the pantograph, then click the set/reset button for the traction motors.

Any hearin lies my reason for posting - has anyone had any difficulty with this? I follow the instructions, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I am left unsure if you have to just click these two buttons, or long press, have to wait some time for it to react, or what, as when I just click, nothing seems to happen, and I have to reclick. Sometimes eventually I'll get the 25 kV light illuminated and I can set off, othertimes it doesn't.

Am I missing something about this, or is it temperamental for others too?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Apart from older MUs the AWS on/off is built in to the Forward/Reverse handle - moving from Off causes the AWS to be active
    I think that feature is built in to some of the Dmus 101,117,121 - in real life it had to switched on Manually like the AP 37/40/50

The 313 is a bit finnicky in that you Push Pantograph Up but it does not do that and the 750v light remains lit
    So you push Set/Reset and the Pantograph raised and the 25kv line light illuminates
    But you have to check the Circuit Breaker light goes out before you get power

Peter

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  3. inversnecky

Does that happen first time you press the reset, Peter, or do you sometimes have to try a few times?

4. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Inver...
    I don't think units are equipped with change end switches (I could be wrong I hasten to add) but I asked my best mate who is a driver on Merseyrail about them [change end switches] a while ago & he just looked at me blankly as if I had 3 heads...I then had to explain further as to what I was talking about and he said 'nope, no such device fitted to a 507 / 508 so presumably a 313 isn't going to be any different...

This is a real life safety device/ feature... The reverser is interlocked to the power handle... If the reverser is in the OFF position the power handle MUST be depressed & held downwards whilst the reverser is moved to the forward / reverse position...

Can't say I've had a problem... I'll have a look if I get up early enough... (I'm on annual leave / holiday at the mo) If I get up before the Mrs then happy days, Ill go on TS if not, it's decorating for me...!!! :|

Eric

• Like Like x 2
  5. ntypeman

Inver...

What scenario are u playing???

Eric

6. inversnecky

It wasn't a scenario, just a QD to test out the 313.

It was the first EMU I'd driven that had the safety device linked to the reverser.

Once or twice I lost sound as well, once I was going, not sure if that's a 313 issue or my PC acting up!

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I had started a Free Roam and the train was in Third Rail mode.
    So I pushed the Pan Up button and - nothing. Tried again and Nothing - even went ouside and the pan was still down
    So I tried the Set/Reset and nothing first time but I noticed the 750v light go out second time and I had power.

Peter

8. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Have you pressed the Aux On button on the cab back wall?
    Try pressing and holding the Set/Reset button for a few seconds.
    Then press again as sometimes it requires two presses to engage the line light (The Class 395 on L2F is similar).

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The unit moves in DC mode when you get in in Free Roam - trying to change it to run in AC is the problem

10. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I was suggesting, doing those in the process of switching power sources. I should of mentioned sorry...

11. inversnecky

I can imagine all this might be normal for a more advanced set up, but it seems like a bit if a nuisance if you want to just start driving in AC mode.

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There is something in the Manual about the lead coach number in the Flyout specifies what mode it is in when it starts

13. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

That’s what I enjoy about driving AP stuff.

14. inversnecky

It's not the extra steps I mind - that's why I love AP stuff too - it's when it doesn't work.

I tried the 313 again, and it took six goes of pressing the two switches for it to work. That's a glitch, not realism - I presume!

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you think it is a Glitch report it to AP

16. inversnecky

Think I will do. I just wanted to ascertain first if I was doing something wrong my end and if others had experienced the same issues.

But I need some guidance, though - just how exactly does one address a "Purveyor of quality Train Simulator add-ons" - Sir?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. inversnecky

A very prompt response:

“Apologies about that. This pack uses old scripting created by another developer and we are aware it’s not always the most reliable when carrying out more detailed operations away from regular driving. Apologies about that. Our only hope is to spend time rescripting the whole pack and releasing it as a paid update. We don’t know when or if this will happen.”

Looks like I just have to accept it as an idiosyncratic ‘feature’ of the 313 then!

18. ntypeman

Inver...

I didn't appear to have any issues with what you originally asked about however, sometimes I get issues where the unit won't take power... It's happened to me on several occasions & end up having to move the reverser to off then back on, set the pan up / shoes down, set the aux etc... P I T A but quirky, I can live with it... In fact it wouldn't surprise me if stuff like that happened in the real world!!!

Lucky you...!!! Whilst it's sorted now (no thanks to this forum), I had an issue with the MK1 coach pack... A week after contacting AP for advice / support still nothing!!!

19. inversnecky

Maybe I should keep the 313 as a DC powered train.

20. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

Check your junk mail. AP have always been very good at getting back to me

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And if you read the post above that one you will see APs responce

22. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

I was taking to ntypeman, that’s why I quoted his reply

23. ntypeman

TSOB... Nope, nothing, nada... checked everywhere... nothing...

Doesn't matter now anyway as I managed to install the mk1 coach pack...

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  24. inversnecky

Maybe they didn't get it, and it went astray in the "ether"?