Apt-p

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kaarthanax, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Kaarthanax

Kaarthanax New Member

Id love to see the APT P in TSW. Along the west coast main line. Just a fantastic peice of British history.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The gas-turbine unit was the APT-E for Experimental a.k.a. the E-Train. She was essentially a self-propelled test rig designed to be fitted with new systems as they became available and heavily rebuilt on occasion. She's now at Locomotion in Shildon where I took my profile picture. (I was there yesterday BTW and geeked out when I saw the prototype HST power car as well.)

The APT-P (Prototype- P-Train) is the electric unit designated Class 370- (off the top of my head I don't think E-Train ever had a Class designation though she must have been called something under TOPS) built for further testing in service. They were never intended to enter regular service (obviously- they'd have built more than three otherwise) but rushed into use before adequate testing due to political pressure. Things did not go swimmingly which is astonishing if you think how well events usually turn out when politicians get involved with railways. </sarcasm>

3. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

I have removed my reply to this thread due to my own error. It was indeed the E train i had in mind as this was used on the WR unlike the P trains which were used on the WCML.