Are Any Routes Not Affected By The Derail Bug?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Calidore266, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I haven't gone into TSW since getting randomly derailed during an SPG run, because losing an hour isn't especially fun. But people are still playing, and the problem obviously isn't affecting everyone. So which routes are currently safe to drive, please?

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

What I know is that most German freight runs are a no go cuz it's either a derail or close to a derail (violent lurching for many runs). I haven't really had issues with passenger or nongerman freight routes. But I only mostly play passenger, not freight so I can't say I'm sure about everything. I just stay away from all german freight for now. I've had some derails on passenger runs, but much less often compared to german freight.

What you'll see when you're driving is that the train lurches back and forth more strongly on most routes. Make sure to not slam on the brakes suddenly

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Calidore266

Thanks for the reply! Haven't tried German freight, but it's very much a problem on Sand Patch. Even braking very carefully, there's (at least) one spot where you lurch suddenly and then game over. Maybe the smaller the train, the more likely it is to stay on the tracks. And/or the faster the trains normally run, the better they can handle the physics hiccup when it happens.

4. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Been going through the Clinchfield Journey mode and no problems so far, although I'm only in Chapter 2. But considering how slow of a route it is, a derailment would certainly come as a surprise.

5. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

That's something new!
    I thought it was virtually impossible to derail a train in TSW2.
    I didn't even know that such a possibility was programmed into TSW2!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well there is no graphic with it, just the pop up message. Would think purely passenger routes like Bakerloo or Cathcart would be okay, but with this buggy mess of a game who can say.

7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

On DRA even passenger services in the wet are affected Ive had multiple derailments around Coswig, predominately involving southbound S1 services from Meissen, but also northbound S1 services a few times. Even had a northbound RE derailment behind the 146 although cant recall if this was from a Dosto cab or loco driven.

8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The only derail I've experienced in TSW2 took place in a timetable shunting activity in which the lead wagon of a cut being pushed by an engine runs into the end of a cut of wagons that are obstructing its path. As Old Vern noted above, the derail is not actually visible, but a message pops up and the activity comes shuts down.
    I thought about trying to get around this in some way, but that would involve placing the pushed wagons into a siding and then clearing the obstacle; however, this would require changing the points of some switches and almost all German switches are only operable by the dispatcher.

9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

As said above. Most german freight, and to a lesser extent passenger is off limits, can happen on SoS as well.

TGV is jerky, so is british freight, but no derailment or big lurches yet

So far Harlem and the British EMU seem fine, haven't played much else since the bug came about.

CAN'T WAIT FOR TSW3!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This has happened to me on sandpatch grade since coupling to the Goods Waggons at 10 mph 16 kmh also results in Derailment. Riesa-Dresden 09:36 Freight Dresden Hbf to Riesa Gbf when I resumed from save

11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Coupling at that speed? What else did you expect??

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

Generally you get a derailment if you try and couple at more than 4 MPH/6 km/h. IRL probably not cause a derailment just over that speed but might damage the couplers particularly on modern stock not fitted with traditional buffers, i.e. autocouplers with electrical boxes.

13. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

14. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Calidore266

Seems like there are two kinds of derail problems: physics-based while moving, and overlapping parts when coupling/uncoupling/starting a service. Wonder if this patch fixed the first type but didn't get all of the second. I'll be giving it a try on SPG later.

16. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

TGV is still jerky, so the core coupler issue has NOT been fixed.

They either tweaked some specs on some specific coupling to avoid derail (DTG doing what they do best, stopping the effect, without addressing the cause) or they fixed this overlapping problem you talk about.

I remain firm with my opinion that the changes made on the 30/05 updates should be rolled back. Having a big amount of old DLC ruined by a core update is a terrible precedent, and I'd really like if the community was more upset, but I need to keep telling myself that this game is not for me. The community and I want and care about very different things.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I don't understand why adjusting coupler parameters on one route should affect a completely different route. Couplers should be unique to each type of rolling stock that's has a different type of coupler. One parameter change should affect them all, surely?

18. Calidore266

That's what I said above, the first type I mentioned being "physics-based while moving", and the second that they didn't get all of being coupling/etc. Hope they get the rest fixed up soon.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

Auto Runner on MSB is now okay.

20. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

Have tried Sandpatch Grade two times in two days, going downhill to Cumberland.............derailed both times. I have previously done this route countless times with no problems. Seems to me the latest update did NOT fix this route.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. grumypop51

Agreed. See my reply above.

22. Calidore266

Well, dang. Can you please post exactly what you ran--scenario, journey, or timetable service + loco--so I can give it/them a try as well?

23. grumypop51

Certainly. Powering America part two was the first. Second to establish if it was the scenario (which I submitted a ticket about some weeks ago), and the other was a timetable run of the same route ....coal to Cumberland from Rockwood with AC4400CW. I have never had any trouble with the dynamic brakes etc.. before these recent updates.

24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I got a derail while moving on Horseshoe curve today. There was nothing happening that would cause a derail normally. Quite a random occurrence.

• Like Like x 1
  25. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

I usually play on Isle of Wight (both vers) and London-Brighton. Never had a derail.

26. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's WAY too bloody fast! No wonder you derailed. The rule on US railroads is 3mph max, and they prefer 1.5 so you don't damage things.

• Like Like x 1
  27. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i've been reading through old railway accident archives... the letters written to the board of trade, as i'm currently reading ones from about 1850.

Ok trains were a bit flimsier back then, but a lot of accidents that destroyed carriages and did a lot of damage to the loco's happened at about 8mph!!

28. Calidore266

Confirmed. I'm making a ticket and posting in Technical Reports.

• Like Like x 1
  29. grumypop51

Thanks. I tried again yesterday and just managed to get down the hill, but the physics are crazy. Scared of putting on too much dynamic lest I derail again, I went down with notch 2/3 on dynamics (only holding on notch 3 briefly at any time), and continuous train braking from initial to 100%, and could hardly hold it! I will have another go in the near future in case it's my driving skills that need attention. I don't often drive this route, so unfamiliarity could be a possible reason as well. It's a poor tradesperson who blames his tools! :D

30. Calidore266

Nope, this time it's the tools. I already had gold medals on both the scenario and that timetable service, both on PS4 and now on Steam. Everything worked fine until it recently didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  31. grumypop51

Just wasted another hour of my ever shortening life and tried again. Down the hill: Dynamics notch 3/4; train brake initial; bailed off, so no brakes in locos: speed 27mph; just after Mance she derails. I am tending to agree with you, der tools ist kaput! :D :mad: Hope you have a good day.

32. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There have always been derails in TSW. I derailed on Cathcart recently and rightly so because I forgot to throw a switch.

But, so far, I've been spared the random for no reason derails. It would certainly be most annoying. Has DTG said what's causing the problem and how and when they're going to fix it? Does it show up in all platforms?

Bringing in a new version of the sim when there are so many issues with the current iteration seems a bit chancy, though I'm looking forward to it, even if the new TSW inherits big problems like this one. I guess we won't be any worse off, will we.....?

33. grumypop51

One would certainly hope we won't be worse off!

34. OldVern

Regardless of what happens IRL, I believe the in sim coupling speed limits to avoid derailing are < 4 MPH/6 Km/h.

• Like Like x 1
  35. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Please do, anyone else with the same issue do it as well, the amount of tickets is a factor they consider to judge how important a bug is and how quickly it should be fixed.

https://dovetailgames.freshdesk.com/support/home

36. grumypop51

I'd also like to see mothers, children and families as passengers (at the very least in stations), in order to add more realism into the game

37. grumypop51

• Like Like x 1
  38. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

And they should carry luggage.
    Its 2022, should be possible...

But i guess we are stuck with this army of strange looking lemmings

• Like Like x 2
  39. grumypop51

Who quite often pop up in the most unexpected places! Like the tops of lamp posts, between floors, on the tracks.......maybe children shouldn't be there after all, very unsafe for kiddies! :D

• Like Like x 1
  40. OldVern

You could extend that to people with dogs, or pushchairs and prams - the latter particularly on older BR classic or steam era routes. Where are the flocks of pigeons that inhabit most stations, even to this day. The era is wrong for Felix and Bolt at Huddersfield, but why not have the odd station with a cat on patrol? DTG tell us they are all for diversity, so I for one want to see our feline and canine friends represented.

• Like Like x 2