Are These Specs Good Enough I'm Not Very Tech Savvy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Wooki74, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

Screenshot_20200725-162856_Chrome.jpg hi all .I really want to play this just need info.
    Thanks. I think the graphics card is ok not sure about processor.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Don't just read the first paragraph of this. If you're only interested in running Train Simulator the CPU is not actually that well suited. TS's venerable game engine does not make good use of multi-core CPUs so, while there's some benefit to be had from extra cores (Windows and other software can get on with housekeeping in the background without affecting your driving), the i7 would be overkill. You'd be better off with an i5 running at a higher clock speed- TS is only going to use one core so having that core runing fast makes more difference.

Having said that if you intend to run newer games or applications that this system would be well suited to then it makes good sense to get it. Hobbling your new software in an attempt to get TS running a little better would be counter-productive and this system should still make a perfectly good job of running TS.

If you're still shopping around I'd suggest you look at AMD Ryzen based systems.

3. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

Ok thank you for the advice will take it on board

4. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

Though an i5 is enough I disagree with that as an argument on it's own, i7 comes in many flavours, I have an i7 quad core @ 4 GHz ( 4.4 GHz in turbo mode ) myself, and it runs nearly anything extremely well

5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

No doubt- this is specific example of my point in the second paragraph the gist of it being that a decently fast system with a GPU will run TS nicely anyway and to consider what else you might be using it for. I got a new system last year and, although I would be using it to run TS most of the time, I didn't really worry about it thinking more about video editing and possibly TSW (which I did get around New Year- notched up a grand total of 36 minutes and now they've canned it so that was £20 well spent but I'm not bitter :|).

On a second look at the OP it registered that the listing is probably for a laptop (either that or the vendor's being really tight with the monitor). If you need a laptop then you need a laptop and so be it but it's worth mentioning that you will always get more for your money buying a desktop system.